[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Contacts don't export correctly (.csv problem)

Contacts don't export correctly (.csv problem)

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Contacts don't export correctly (.csv problem)

Postby drjamie03 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm trying to export my contact list so that they can be copied into Gmail via a .csv file. When I do so, Gmail says there is something wrong with the .csv file. I also ran into this problem with a different program/service (can't remember which one at the moment). Basically, the file just starts off with a few commas and then the list of addresses...isn't there supposed to be some kind of instruction or other format at the beginning? At any rate, I haven't been able to successfully export my contacts.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:45 pm

:idea: What about copying your address book(s) to another location?
Change the extension *.ini to *.txt and open it in Excel.

Removes the columns you don't need and save as CSV.

See if that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:14 am

Here are some more instructions:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... nswer=8301

As Eric says, you will have to open CSV export into another program like Excel, and format it so that it fits the format that Gmail supports.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby drjamie03 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 am

I'm trying any way I can to get the contacts into either Gmail or Yahoo. With Yahoo, I tried both the csv (using the instructions given) and the .ldif export but neither works. When I use the .ldif method, it seems to work, but it says it imported 0 new contacts when done. What am I doing wrong...or is there some snafu Barca has with exporting contact lists?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:27 am

drjamie03 wrote:What am I doing wrong...or is there some snafu Barca has with exporting contact lists?
Why export :?:
Have you tried the suggestion I posted above?
Also make sure the line-up of those fields correspond to the line-up in Gmail or Yahoo.
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 pm

I did try what you suggested, Eric, but when I tried to open the file renamed as a txt file in Open Office (I don't have Excel), it wouldn't open it...it saw it as a text file, and even though I was trying to open it in the Open Office equivalent of Excel, it then opened the word processing program instead of the Excel equivalent. I'm trying to export my contacts so I can use them with my new Blackberry.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 pm

drjamie03 wrote:I did try what you suggested, Eric, but when I tried to open the file renamed as a txt file in Open Office (I don't have Excel), it wouldn't open it...
Don't have Excel either. :D
Will try it later on in OpenOffice, so I can verify it and if need be, post some screenshots how to do it. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:13 am

Ok, checked it here and you're right. :oops:
In Excel it works, but in OpenOffice you need to change the extension to CSV, so you'll get that import window.

Hope it works now. :wink:
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:46 am

I just don't know why this isn't working. I've worked with csv files in Excel or Open Office before and done so successfully. When I rename the ini file to csv and import it into the Open Office equivalent of Excel, it isn't formatted at all. No matter what I do to it, (as in changing the extension, importing into Open Office, etc), it looks like this:

,0,,,,,,,,,0,0,1,"","",""""Beliefnet Buddhist Wisdom"""",BeliefnetBuddhistWisdom@partner.beliefnet.com,,,,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,3904955943_18_402264,3,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0,,0,,,,,,,,,0,0,1,"","",""""PC World"""",newsletters@lm.pcworld.com,,,,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,3904955943_19_695219,3,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0,,0,,,,,,,,,0,0,1,"","",KGW

There is no way to assign a value to the fields so it all comes out as what you see above. When it's imported into OO, it just shows three long rows of the above with no formatting or columns. A support person for one of the services I contacted about importing contacts (teleflip?) looked at it and said there needs to be a line at the beginning indicating the assigned columns. What am I doing wrong here?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:45 am

drjamie03 wrote:I just don't know why this isn't working. I've worked with csv files in Excel or Open Office before and done so successfully. When I rename the ini file to csv and import it into the Open Office equivalent of Excel, it isn't formatted at all.
Don't know why it isn't working for you, since it works here. :?

You're correct the data inside that csv-file looks like your example, so you're coming close. :)
There is no way to assign a value to the fields so it all comes out as what you see above.
Sure, there's a way to assign data to the fields.
What I did, was just insert another contact, but duplicating that field info. See screenshot below.

When it's imported into OO, it just shows three long rows of the above with no formatting or columns.
I just saved that test address book as test.csv and opened it in OO.

Got this screen afterwards.

A support person for one of the services I contacted about importing contacts (teleflip?) looked at it and said there needs to be a line at the beginning indicating the assigned columns. What am I doing wrong here?
Seems to work fine here, no need for an additional line.
Try it my way by inserting a dummy contact, as such you'll see the fieldnames. :wink:
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 am

Thanks so much. I think I'm giving up on this. I did what you suggested but still got nowhere. It shouldn't be this hard, I don't think!! I think I may have to just purchase a third party app to do it for me. Arrgghh!
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 am

drjamie03 wrote:Thanks so much.
You're welcome. :wink:
I think I'm giving up on this. I did what you suggested but still got nowhere. It shouldn't be this hard, I don't think!! I think I may have to just purchase a third party app to do it for me. Arrgghh!
It's really weird why it won't work on your computer.
Could you send me that file by email, so I can try it myself?
No need to purchase a 3rd party app, when you can do it with OO of Office.

See your PM for my email address where you can send it. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To