[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Suspected Bug: OnAdd Event in sent folder breaks sending ...

Suspected Bug: OnAdd Event in sent folder breaks sending ...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Suspected Bug: OnAdd Event in sent folder breaks sending ...

Postby ChrisKnight » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Bug Title: OnAdd Event in sent folder breaks sending email

Description: If an OnAdd event is created and attached to the sent folder that triggers a filter to move an email from the sent folder to a subfolder of the sent folder if the email is To a specific recipient, and an email is sent to the that recipient, Barca will send the email but will to continue to behave as if it is sending, the email does not get put into the subfolder and the Stop button has to clicked to end the process. Also of note, the message is never put in the sent folder either.

Variations: I've tried it with two different recipients. If the event is active message sent to the recipient named in the filter, Barca has issues. If the event is deleted or deactivated all is well again.

To reproduce: 1) create a subfolder of sent, i.e. sent to myself. 2) create an onAdd event with the following; run this filter, filter for all accounts, matching all characters, search To, fill in an email address - i.e. your own will work, then, perform move message to Sent\whatever you named the folder you created in step one - i.e. Sent\sent to myself; run only for specific folder, Sent. 3) Create and send a test email to the recipient you entered in step two when creating the filter. 4) You should notice that the Progress window shows the message is sent and and the Check icon/button still says Stop and if you have the notify in the taskbar the envelope is still moving. 5) Click stop and check your sent folder, the message you just sent is not there, check the subfolder and it is not there either, if you sent the message to yourself then you can click Check and it should come in.

Work-around: None at this time.

Problem it creates:Well, this is just another example of the onAdd problem. In this case if a person wished to use onAdd in their Sent folder to trigger a filter to organize emails sent to specific recipients they cannot do it this way, even though it seems as though they should.

System: Compaq NC8000 laptop. Windows XP sp2. Barca 2 version 2.5.0.3910 licensed.

If further information is required please feel free to contact me.
ChrisKnight
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:40 am

I think the problem here is this is not what the OnAdd event was intended for.

I created the sub-folder and OnAdd event as you detailed with similar results. The progress went to 100% and then stayed there. Had to click stop to halt the process. The message I attempted to send was still in the Draft folder. The was no message in the Sent or the sub-folder I created. The messages was however, sent.

The "work around" is to use an Outgoing or Post-Send filter. This will accomplish the same result using the exact filter you created for the OnAdd event.

Granted the OnAdd event should work, but the send folder is a system folder with special functions (i.e., all sent messages go there by default).
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby ChrisKnight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 am

chrisretusn wrote:[/code]I think the problem here is this is not what the OnAdd event was intended for.

Why? It seems to me that an event is just a trigger mechanism to fire off a fiter or script. The function of the filter or script shouldn't matter as long as it is functionally and syntactically correct.

chrisretusn wrote:The "work around" is to use an Outgoing or Post-Send filter. This will accomplish the same result using the exact filter you created for the OnAdd event.

Thank you for the work around! :) I hadn't thought of that.

chrisretusn wrote:Granted the OnAdd event should work, but the send folder is a system folder with special functions (i.e., all sent messages go there by default).

Agreed, it should work. If the special folder allows events to be attached to them, then they should work.
ChrisKnight
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:07 pm

ChrisKnight wrote:Why? It seems to me that an event is just a trigger mechanism to fire off a fiter or script. The function of the filter or script shouldn't matter as long as it is functionally and syntactically correct.

I would have never thought to use and OnAdd event for the Send folder, it already in effect has two OnAdd events built-in. :D

I do agree with you that it should indeed work. I doubt the programmers envisioned this use for an OnAdd event in the Sent folder. :)

Thank you for the work around! :) I hadn't thought of that.

You are welcome. We all have different ideas of how things should work. This is what make user forums great.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Return to Barca Help and How-To