[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Downloading messages again and again...

Downloading messages again and again...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Downloading messages again and again...

Postby Ricardo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 am

I keep messages on server for quite a long time, and it seems every time it goes over 200 stored messages Barca goes crazy. I have deleted all the 212 messages downloaded again and again three times today. It happens randomly on the 6 email accounts I have set up here ,every time one of them gets fat. For a few of these accounts I have OE setup in another computer, duplication does not happen there.

I gave up news reading in Barca due to this kind of behaviour long ago. Any hints?
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 am

Hi Ricardo,

Have a look at How to stop PM downloading mail from server a second time.
Also make sure you're using the latest build 3910.

Let me know if this helps. ;)
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks. I'm trying the one server at a time option, makes sense.

Turning of leave messages on server is not an option, I need them there for a week at least.

Let's see what comes out of it. And yes, I'm on the latest build.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:37 am

Hi Ricardo,
Ricardo wrote:Thanks. I'm trying the one server at a time option, makes sense.
My pleasure.
Hope the suggestion will give you satisfactory results.
Let's see what comes out of it. And yes, I'm on the latest build.
Curious to know if it will solve your problem. :wink:
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 am

Hi Eric,

It happened again today, but only once. Much better than yesterday.

I have two culprits here (besides ths obvious leave messages on server):

-Task Alerts: It's usual that when this happens Barca gets stuck eating 50% precessor time (1 core). I then hit cancel message download many times and after all there is a reminder window.

-Big Messages: Timed mail check pops during the download of a big message, then a big stack of postponed mail checks builds up.

It seems to me that there is something with the multithread code messing up the index, may be try to connect to the same account twice due to stacked tasks - then bye bye index. It was obviously worse when I had 3 connections at a time.

Ricardo

EDIT: Late findings... By coincidence my wife has been uploading videos to youtube, and my ADSL link handles uploas pretty bad - may be the network choke locking Barca?
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Ricardo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:45 am

I don't know if this is of any help, but all the problems I face are from the same internet provider using qmail like this:

Code: Select all
Received: (qmail 27807 invoked by uid 1000); 26 Oct 2007 12:54:21 -0000

Other providers do not show the same behaviour.
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Ricardo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:09 am

Hi,

Some messages where deleted. Now what I have is:

a-01 server, don't know what software, with 269 messages there, everything OK.
b-03 other accounts, less than 100 messages, running qmail as above, everything OK.

It got OK after I reduced the number of days messages where being left and the total wen't bellow 100 for each account. One of thses had 142 messages yesterday and was still giving problems

Now I have pushed up to 7 checks at a time and no more lockups, no more duplicated downloads.

It really looks like an issue with the qmail servers... any hints?

Ricardo
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:42 am

Hi Ricardo,
Ricardo wrote:It really looks like an issue with the qmail servers... any hints?
Could be that those servers are giving trouble to Poco! :?

Best to send some of those messages, if not too private, to Support for further investigation.

Other then that, there's not much we can do about it.

Hope they'll be able to find out where it goes wrong. :wink:
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 am

Hi Eric,

I'd say the problem is with the listing itself... I've coded for POP3 a long time ago but I think we first got a short list then we got the messages.

Can you suggest a way to dump/capture this part of the process?

Thanks,

Ricardo
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16 am

Hi Ricardo,
Ricardo wrote:Can you suggest a way to dump/capture this part of the process?
You could try WireShark, but only if you're techie enough.

I'm not with that software, so I can't help you with that program. :?
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks, downloading it. But it will take a while untill the mailboxes get fat enough to fail again.

Ricardo
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 am

You're welcome Ricardo.
Let me know what you may find. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To