[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Backup help please

Backup help please

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Backup help please

Postby jayno » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 am

I have Barca 2.1 and would like to upgrade to 2.5. (Oddly, if I click on "check update" in 2.1. it tells me there isn't an update!)

Poco recommend backing up and doing an uninstall of 2.1 and new install of 2.5

I haven't used the 2.1 'backup & restore' facility before and don't want to make any mistakes.

Can someone tell me where I should back up to? Can I just create a new folder anywhere, say in My Documents, or on Desktop, and simply back up to there, then use 2.5 to 'import' everything back from this folder once I have 2.5 installed?

And when I back up, do I back up everything from 2.1 (ie leave all the boxes ticked) or just obvious things like mail and address book?

Thanks
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Re: Backup help please

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:00 am

jayno wrote:I have Barca 2.1 and would like to upgrade to 2.5. (Oddly, if I click on "check update" in 2.1. it tells me there isn't an update!)
Yes, but that's fixed in 2.5. :)
Can someone tell me where I should back up to? Can I just create a new folder anywhere, say in My Documents, or on Desktop, and simply back up to there, then use 2.5 to 'import' everything back from this folder once I have 2.5 installed?
Just make a backup of your installation and tick all the boxes, so you won't miss anything.

Install 2.5 into another directory and perform an 'Import data from another install' to be found under File > Import.

Don't uninstall 2.1 yet, but try out the new version.
If it works like it should, just delete the 2.1 installation.

That's how I do it and it works great. :)

Have fun with the new version. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply Eric.

I'll let you know how I get on.

:D
Jayno
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:47 am

You're welcome jayno. :wink:
Should work without any problems.
Eric

Postby jayno » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:46 am

Hi Eric

Just to let you know I have followed your instructions and now have Barca 2.5 installed and running fine.

I must say I love the simple and rapid backup facility in Barca. I have had a few PC disasters over the years and these have almost always resulted in my losing valuable emails. With Barca backup it is so easy to back everything onto a second hard drive, as I have done (or external disc etc), so I'll never have to experience this risk again.

Many thanks

Jayno
:)
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:31 am

jayno wrote:Just to let you know I have followed your instructions and now have Barca 2.5 installed and running fine.
That's great Jayno. :)
I must say I love the simple and rapid backup facility in Barca. I have had a few PC disasters over the years and these have almost always resulted in my losing valuable emails. With Barca backup it is so easy to back everything onto a second hard drive, as I have done (or external disc etc), so I'll never have to experience this risk again.
Yes, it's best to always have a backup at hand or several.
Mine is also set to backup everything after 5 sessions onto my hard drive & of course to my external drive with my image program.
You never know what may happen. :roll:

Have fun with Barca. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To