[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Contacts Import

Contacts Import

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Contacts Import

Postby Jeff_Gaines » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:29 pm

I know this is an old chestnut but I am really struggling to import my address book.
I have exported it from TheBat! in both CSV and LDIF formats. I have checked both files and they appear to have all the information but I can't get Barca2 to import the addresses, most of the other stuff seems OK.
Is the specification of the ini file Barca uses for addresses available? If so I am happy to write a C# program to read in a CSV file (probably the easiest file type to export to) and write it out to an ini file for Barca.
In the meantime I have about 10 incomplete address books in Barca :-)
Jeff_Gaines
Poco Tourist

Re: Contacts Import

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:58 am

Jeff_Gaines wrote:Is the specification of the ini file Barca uses for addresses available? If so I am happy to write a C# program to read in a CSV file (probably the easiest file type to export to) and write it out to an ini file for Barca.
It was available previously, but something changed so that doesn't work anymore. :?

You could get in touch with the Poco Systems Helpdesk, so they can send you that information, if possible.
In the meantime I have about 10 incomplete address books in Barca :-)
You could always try Dawn to see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes. :wink:
Eric

Postby Jeff_Gaines » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:17 am

Many thanks again Eric :-)

I managed to crash Dawn several times!

I have contacted the help desk.
Jeff_Gaines
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 am

Jeff_Gaines wrote:Many thanks again Eric :-)
My pleasure Jeff. :?
I managed to crash Dawn several times!
:lol: How did you manage to do that?
Could it be related to Migrating Contacts?
I have contacted the help desk.
I'm sure you'll get an answer pretty soon.

Take care. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 am

Dawn used to crash on my PC in the long past, not the latest version. But I didn't explore it to it's fullest :)

Just for future reference, the address book format from the resuscitated Michael's FAQ is at:

http://www.pocosystems.com/extras/mfaq/ ... ields.html
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Jeff_Gaines » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 pm

OK, I have written an app in C# (requires NET Framework 2) that reads in a csv file and allows the user to drag and drop fields onto a dummy Barca contact form, then writes the data out to a Barca address (ini) file.
The Notes field can be a bit funny and may need reformatting but I have just used it to get my addresses in from TheBat.
Is it acceptable to post an announcement with a link to it on my home page?
I will include the source and some notes.
Jeff_Gaines
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:40 am

Jeff_Gaines wrote:Is it acceptable to post an announcement with a link to it on my home page?
I will include the source and some notes.
Yes, please do, since it can help others too or perhaps PSI can host it on their website.
Thanks for your willingness to make this work. 8)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To