[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Email files are not encrypted

Email files are not encrypted

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Email files are not encrypted

Postby StevieW » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:21 am

Hi, I am not sure if I have missed a setting or something, but if I go to the Mail folder within c:\Program files\Barca and use a text editor to open one of the .mbx files, I can read all my e-mail!

I thought by adding a password to gain access to Barca, that the mail files would be encrypted.

Being able to open mail with a text editor is a bit frightening, especially if my laptop got stolen, there is absolutely no protection on the files at all.

So, have I missed a setting somewhere that will encrypt the files?

Thanks.
StevieW
Poco Tourist

Postby aderoy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:21 am

I use Truecrypt v4 to make a container (assign as a drive letter) and store my email folders there (Pocomail - similar with Barca). Had to configure Pocomail to use drive S: for the mailstore.

This way I mount the drive(s) at startup (prompted for each drive letter -- different passwords).

When I then launch the mail program it will be using the encrypted drive. Make sure it is big enough mine is 10GB with 2.5GB inuse for the mail. If too small then there will be many problems. Reason for the 10GB - my tape drive is 10GB native.

Once I shutdown Windows or go to sleep or hibernation mode the encrypted drive is unmounted making it safe from prying eyes.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby StevieW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:08 am

Hi, thanks for the information. Have tried the software and it seems to work okay, although for some reason I get two e: drives and two m: drives even though I mapped a single to drive x:

Regards

Steve
StevieW
Poco Tourist

Postby aderoy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:14 am

Steve,

Not sure why that would be happening. Now that Truecrypt v5.0a is available, you may wish to check the FAQ/Docs, or post to the forum (Truecrypt). Sorry never ran into that type of problem, will try to find a reason.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To