[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Empty messages [Mod: Resolved]

Empty messages [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Empty messages [Mod: Resolved]

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 am

A couple of days ago i've started to receive empty messages in my nice Barca program on a daily basis. No i.d., no subject, no content, no nothing. Nada!
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 am

Spam :?:

However it would be helpful to know how those messages look on your server and if possible download it through your webmail, if possible.

Anything else you installed recently, which could cause this behaviour?

Else your ISP uses spam filtering and something goes wrong there. :?
Or which antivirus, anti-spam are you using?

BTW I moved your topic here, instead of General.
Eric

Spam?

Postby MonBidoux » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am

Eric,

Most of my spam goes straight to the spam box! Yay!
GMail is pretty good at that so i don't have time to catch them there.

Recent installations? Hum!
Do you think another non email related software program could have an impact?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Spam?

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am

MonBidoux wrote:Most of my spam goes straight to the spam box! Yay!
GMail is pretty good at that so i don't have time to catch them there.

Some spam messages are badly misformatted thus they may not even make it through except the headers, and that's why there is no content.
Though if your only email address is Gmail, and it happens often, I guess we could exclude that.

Do you think another non email related software program could have an impact?

Antivirus would be the most common one.
Also try to increase the timeout in Pocomail, in Options/Advanced/Network settings, say to 120-300 seconds.

Other than that, set that account to Leave mail on server temporarily. So that when you downoad the next time and empty messages will appear, you can go check through the webmail interface what for a messages they were and if identified those that didn't download correctly you can save them (best to .eml or .msg or at least .txt format and submit to support http://www.pocosystems.com/support/index.php?pg=request).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 pm

Tomas,

I haven't changed anything with regards to AV config.
My messages are always set to leave on server until deleted from Barca.
Just set the Advanced Network Option to 155 and a non-message still came in.
I had also just re-installed as if upgrading (files can be corrupted right?) but that didn't do anything as you can see.

---

Silly me, how is it that i can see my IMAP accounts in the folder pane and not the POP one? If you can p.m. on that one, that would be fine.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby MonBidoux » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Tomas,

I think your "Options/Advanced/Network settings, say to 120-300 seconds" suggestion did something. It's been since yesterday shortly after changing it to 155 that i've not received anymore "empty messages". Although i don't receive that many, i had been receiving at one to four empty messages over the last week or so. Now i don't have a single one. In fact, i even added an extra account and still none.

Can we consider thread "solved"?
I would say so.

Thanks again to you and Eric for your precious assistance!

:wink:
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:13 am

MonBidoux wrote:I think your "Options/Advanced/Network settings, say to 120-300 seconds" suggestion did something. It's been since yesterday shortly after changing it to 155 that i've not received anymore "empty messages".
Good news after all. :D
I wonder if it has something to do with your antivirus.
Can we consider thread "solved"?
I would say so.
Unless something turns up again, we can say it's solved.
Thanks again to you and Eric for your precious assistance! :wink:
My pleasure & have a fine weekend. :wink:
Eric

Postby MonBidoux » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 am

Eric wrote:...
I wonder if it has something to do with your antivirus.

Could be.
But i never modified anything in that area before or after.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:08 am

MonBidoux wrote:Could be.
It's not about modifying anything, but updates to your antivirus which may result in giving something different with certain apps. :?

Also Windows updates can cause trouble.
Already experienced that here with an update.
Going back with my snapshot and not downloading that update fixed it. :)

BTW Which antivirus do you use?
For me it's ESET Smart Security for the moment. :lol:
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 am

Eric wrote:
MonBidoux wrote:Could be.
It's not about modifying anything, but updates to your antivirus which may result in giving something different with certain apps. :?

Also Windows updates can cause trouble.
Already experienced that here with an update.
Going back with my snapshot and not downloading that update fixed it. :)

BTW Which antivirus do you use?
For me it's ESET Smart Security for the moment. :lol:

Same here, ESET, and I had been seing the blank messages also.
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:20 am

Ricardo wrote:Same here, ESET, and I had been seing the blank messages also.
Not here, ESS works great.
Maybe some other factor at play. :?

It isn't easy to find the real cause to this blank messages, so better follow Tomas instructions in case you receive those again.

Hope your findings may lead to a solution. :wink:
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:52 am

Eric wrote:
Ricardo wrote:Same here, ESET, and I had been seing the blank messages also.
Not here, ESS works great.
Maybe some other factor at play. :?

It isn't easy to find the real cause to this blank messages, so better follow Tomas instructions in case you receive those again.

Hope your findings may lead to a solution. :wink:

They infact stoped a few weeks ago.
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:06 am

Ricardo wrote:They infact stoped a few weeks ago.
Could be a quirk with your ISP too.
Or else spam messages who come and go. :?
Eric

Postby Ricardo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 am

Most likely the second, it was happening from two different email services at random.

I got a little concerned something else could be wrong, but it seems poor header formatting after all.

One thing to be noticed, I get some messages saying there where '@" outside of the address messages from Barca. My messages seat at the server for a couple of weeks, I may still be seeing this from the original offenders.
Ricardo
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 am

Ricardo wrote:Most likely the second, it was happening from two different email services at random.

I got a little concerned something else could be wrong, but it seems poor header formatting after all.
That's the problem with those spam messages. Sometimes they even can get stuck on your server and as such all download is blocked. :?
One thing to be noticed, I get some messages saying there where '@" outside of the address messages from Barca. My messages seat at the server for a couple of weeks, I may still be seeing this from the original offenders.
If you do receive those messages and you do have the possibility to save them from your server, then please send them to support.

In case it's not spam, follow the same procedure so PSI can have a look at it. :)
Eric

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To