[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to recognise spam URLs?

How to recognise spam URLs?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

How to recognise spam URLs?

Postby logrunner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:20 am

I received a spam email yesterday and as I ran my mouse over the link in the email, the address appeared in the bottom left hand status bar. What I was expecting to see was that Barca would display the actual link that I would go to i f I clicked on it but instead it displayed the link shown in the email.

I looked at the raw message and could see that the link was different and obviously going to a spam site. It showed the following (abbreviated + spaces added to avoid html displaying):

< a href="h t t p : / / spam.com/logon.html">
h t t p s : / / online.lloydstsb.co.uk/customer.ibc< / a >

The h t t p s : / / online.lloydstsb.co.uk/customer.ibc showed not the h t t p : / / spam.com/logon.html

Is there something I have to do to get Barca to show the real address? Any help is appreciated :)
logrunner
Drop-in Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:37 pm

I have PocoMail but it should be the same. I am seeing what you are expecting to see.

I have similar emails and they show the actual address in the status bars left hand side. For example, the below html from one of those spam email's shows the google.com URL in the text of the message, but in the status bar it shows the actual spam URL SheCreditcn

Code: Select all
<a href="http://adwords.google.SheCreditcn/select/Login">http://adwords.google.com/select/login</a>
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby logrunner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 pm

I have been doing a bit more testing on this by sending myself suitably crafted emails - it looks to me if that if a full URL is specified for the display part with the H T T P : / / part on the front then that address is shown but if the display part is say 'CLICK THIS LINK' then the hidden address is shown.

I think this is probably a bug :(
logrunner
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To