[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - BArca, and Eudora mail import

BArca, and Eudora mail import

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

BArca, and Eudora mail import

Postby wbear » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:22 am

Testing Barca to replace Eudora. I'd been using Eudora since early 1999, and frankly hate to leave it, but with no support and upgrades ever again, I need a new program.

Tried importing directly from Eudora, and it completed in about 10 minutes (all mail from 1999 is still on my system, I toss nothing but obvious junk). Unfortunately, I ran into that blank messages issue, and many of the emails were unusable.
Deleted all the mailboxes, and tried again, by way of importing into Outlook Express (*shudder*) first. Into OE, about 10 minutes. From OE into Barca, however, has been going on for 5 hours now. Yes, 5 hours, on a 3.4 Ghz Intel system with 2 GB RDRAM.
Is this normal? I can see the mailboxes being created in the proper directory, but it's moving *really* slowly. Worst part is, I don't know if this will fix it.

Then there's the mail accounts and filters. There doesn't seem to be a way to import either of those, or is there? I have like 25 different mail accounts, and a ton of filters to move mail into the proper mailboxes as it comes in. Please tell me I don't need to redo all those filters again...
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby wbear » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:39 am

Well, scratch that. Finally had to kill the process since it stopped responding all together for the past hour. While it did import many messages and mailboxes successfully, it completely lost all folder structure in the process.
All in all, this leaves me far worse off than before, with only a portion of the mail moved over, no filters or accounts and the lost folder structure. It'd take days to get it back to usable, at the least.

Anything else I can try before giving up on this app?
wbear
Poco Tourist

Re: BArca, and Eudora mail import

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 am

Hi wbear & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
wbear wrote:Testing Barca to replace Eudora. I'd been using Eudora since early 1999, and frankly hate to leave it, but with no support and upgrades ever again, I need a new program.
I've been using it too at work and when they stopped it our company moved to Outlook. :?
Tried importing directly from Eudora, and it completed in about 10 minutes (all mail from 1999 is still on my system, I toss nothing but obvious junk). Unfortunately, I ran into that blank messages issue, and many of the emails were unusable.
Deleted all the mailboxes, and tried again, by way of importing into Outlook Express (*shudder*) first. Into OE, about 10 minutes.
From Outlook Express you can drag and drop the messages into Barca.
It's been reported before about those blank messages and it's possible something went wrong during the import or else those messages were malformed, so Barca couldn't read it. :(
From OE into Barca, however, has been going on for 5 hours now. Yes, 5 hours, on a 3.4 Ghz Intel system with 2 GB RDRAM.
Is this normal? I can see the mailboxes being created in the proper directory, but it's moving *really* slowly. Worst part is, I don't know if this will fix it.
5 hours is really long, however it depends on how many messages and those attachments. Also importing a lot of messages uses a lot of CPU, so if any other apps are running in the background, it could slow the process.
Then there's the mail accounts and filters. There doesn't seem to be a way to import either of those, or is there? I have like 25 different mail accounts, and a ton of filters to move mail into the proper mailboxes as it comes in. Please tell me I don't need to redo all those filters again...
Mail accounts and filters won't be transferred over. Almost the same happened when we went to Outlook. Mail accounts were transferred, filters not.
Anything else I can try before giving up on this app?
:idea: You might take a look at Email text missing from imported Barca 1/Eudora MBX files.

Other then that or Mailbag Assistant or Aid4Mail there isn't much more I can think of right now.
Oops! There's also MboxImport, although I've never used it.

Hope that helps anyway to get you started. ;)
Eric

Postby wbear » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:36 am

Eric wrote:From Outlook Express you can drag and drop the messages into Barca.
But apparently not folders...this could take ages again. Appreciate the thought, though. In fact, just tried to do so, and must be doing it wrong. I grab a message subject, but can't drop it anywhere within Barca. Point to the method?

It's been reported before about those blank messages and it's possible something went wrong during the import or else those messages were malformed

Agreed. I went looking through the forum (having lots of time while waiting) ;), and found much the same info. No definitive findings in mine, as they were all from different senders and had nothing in common.
5 hours is really long, however it depends on how many messages and those attachments. Also importing a lot of messages uses a lot of CPU, so if any other apps are running in the background, it could slow the process.

Easily thousands of messages, but attachments were kept in directories, not embedded, for the most part. Shouldn't have affected this too much. As for other apps, pretty much one browser window, and the "normal noises" that come with Windows. CPU was at less than 2% without Barca, nearly 50% with during the import. And that on a dual core Intel. It should have chugged right on through.
I've looked at all the posts/threads about missing text, but none pointed to a solution, unfortunately. Maybe it's just me moving from the simplicity of Eudora, but I'm finding the interface a little confusing as well. I really need to make sure I'm not going to leave myself in trouble by switching....so I'm going to play a bit more. I didn't like Eudora at first either (ie: mood watch? lol).
Thanks for the help/tips.
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm

wbear wrote:But apparently not folders...this could take ages again.
No folders, only messages. :?
Appreciate the thought, though. In fact, just tried to do so, and must be doing it wrong. I grab a message subject, but can't drop it anywhere within Barca. Point to the method?
Just minimize the windows of OE and Barca. Afterwards select your messages from OE and drop them into Barca. The same can be done by EML-messages. 8)
I agree that transferring thousands of messages this way will take a lot of time.
Agreed. I went looking through the forum (having lots of time while waiting) ;), and found much the same info. No definitive findings in mine, as they were all from different senders and had nothing in common.
Indeed, not easy to find the cause to this. For others it worked great, for some not. :(
Easily thousands of messages, but attachments were kept in directories, not embedded, for the most part. Shouldn't have affected this too much. As for other apps, pretty much one browser window, and the "normal noises" that come with Windows. CPU was at less than 2% without Barca, nearly 50% with during the import. And that on a dual core Intel. It should have chugged right on through.
Don't forget your antivirus or other security app which could slow it down, due to scanning those files.
Of course it shouldn't take that long on your powerful PC.
I've looked at all the posts/threads about missing text, but none pointed to a solution, unfortunately. Maybe it's just me moving from the simplicity of Eudora, but I'm finding the interface a little confusing as well.
Only my opinion, but I like the interface and once you get to know it, you'll like it too.
Features aren't buried away, so you can access them faster.
Try to right-click on a folder or a message or the Toolbar.

I liked Eudora a bit, don't like Outlook at all, but love Barca. :lol:
I really need to make sure I'm not going to leave myself in trouble by switching....so I'm going to play a bit more. I didn't like Eudora at first either (ie: mood watch? lol).
That's what the trial is about. Play with it, explore the possibilities of what it can do for you.
You can't access scripts/skins in Extras yet, until you buy it. However you can use Events, filters and all the rest without restriction during the trial period.

Keep in mind that Barca sends each time an URL with each message in the trial.
Once purchased, that won't happen again and you'll be able to replace it with your own URL or none at all.

:!: Have fun with the trial & whenever you'll need help, look it up or if not found, start a new topic.
Thanks for the help/tips.
You're welcome wbear. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To