[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Getting attention

Getting attention

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Getting attention

Postby wbear » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:46 am

Just wound up buying Barca, and have moved over from Eudora. Very different experience.

One thing I really liked about Eudora was that it could be made to open a tab with the folder that just received new mail (I check loads of accounts, and have lots of folders I sift mail into). In Barca, I need to scroll down the list of folders, looking for the highlighted line and manually open that folder to see what's arrived. I'm concerned I"m going to miss something with this method.

What can I do to call attention to the folders with new mail automatically? Any thoughts?
wbear
Poco Tourist

Re: Getting attention

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:01 pm

wbear wrote:Just wound up buying Barca, and have moved over from Eudora. Very different experience.
Congratulations, hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. :)
One thing I really liked about Eudora was that it could be made to open a tab with the folder that just received new mail (I check loads of accounts, and have lots of folders I sift mail into).
A matter of taste, since I didn't like those tabs. :lol:
For now it's not possible to open the highlighted tabs. Maybe it will in the next major version or not.
See also: open mailbox with filter.
In Barca, I need to scroll down the list of folders, looking for the highlighted line and manually open that folder to see what's arrived. I'm concerned I"m going to miss something with this method.
Yes, that's the way it works, although you could add the count of unread messages next to the folder. Right-click on the folder to select to display the totals.
What can I do to call attention to the folders with new mail automatically? Any thoughts?
Another way would be to use the New Mail folder, which displays all messages received during 48 hours. Deleting the message will not delete the original, but only the link to this message.

Hope that helps a bit. ;)
Eric

Postby wbear » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks again. I'll give the new mail folder a try, along with no automatic marking. That might achieve what I need.

Had an interesting event when I sent my first messages using Barca. In Eudora, when a "sent" mailbox was not specified, it stored sent messages in the outbox, marked as sent. During the import process, it didn't retain that marking. :)
I hit send...and it started sending over 2,000 messages!
I had to quit the program to end it, since I couldn't find a "stop" button or menu in a hurry. Is there one? Would hitting the "offline" button (that I noticed after I'd restarted) have done it?
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby wbear » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Hmm, the new mail folder doesn't appear to be showing any mail when it arrives. Does this need to be activated, or something of that nature?
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:33 pm

wbear wrote:Hmm, the new mail folder doesn't appear to be showing any mail when it arrives. Does this need to be activated, or something of that nature?
No, nothing needs to be activated.
You could try compressing that folder to see if that fixes it.
Else have a look at New mail folder looks empty?
Had an interesting event when I sent my first messages using Barca. In Eudora, when a "sent" mailbox was not specified, it stored sent messages in the outbox, marked as sent. During the import process, it didn't retain that marking. :) I hit send...and it started sending over 2,000 messages!
Oops! So those messages were stored in the Outbox. :?
When inside that folder it waits to be send, unless specified otherwise in Options. On the next mailcheck those will be sent automatically.
I had to quit the program to end it, since I couldn't find a "stop" button or menu in a hurry. Is there one? Would hitting the "offline" button (that I noticed after I'd restarted) have done it?
There isn't a stop button, but I'm not sure if the offline button would have stopped it. Never tried it, so I'm only guessing. :?
Quitting the program while performing an action can corrupt the indexes, so best compress all folders on restart.

Will try it in 3 weeks time, since my laptop is in for repairs to its hardware. Warranty is applied, although I've to miss it during that time. Hope it won't take longer. :roll:
Eric

Postby wbear » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 am

Eric wrote:You could try compressing that folder to see if that fixes it.
Compressing that one didn't fix it, but compressing them all did. Maybe I did corrupt them by quitting to avoid sending the rest of the 2000 messages.
Seems to be working now, but only showing messages from today. That's ok, but something to note.
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:15 pm

wbear wrote:Compressing that one didn't fix it, but compressing them all did.
Maybe I did corrupt them by quitting to avoid sending the rest of the 2000 messages.
I guess so.
Seems to be working now, but only showing messages from today. That's ok, but something to note.
I'm not sure if it's 24 or 48 hours.
Never used it, so I don't know for sure. :oops:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To