[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - I've tried, but just can't love Barca...

I've tried, but just can't love Barca...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

I've tried, but just can't love Barca...

Postby wbear » Sun May 18, 2008 12:42 pm

I really wanted to like Barca. I even bought the full version so I'd be more motivated to like it. Unfortunately, coming from Eudora, it's just too foreign and awkward for me to be able to use it.

In Eudora, I loved that when I got mail it opened the folder it was filtered into, and left it open until I dismissed it. In Barca, it won't open the folder unless I manually open it (and pin it). I have over 100 folders altogether, because I've been saving mail since 1998, and have tons of accounts and so on.
I'm missing important messages, since the folders aren't open.

I tried the "new mail" folder, and while that worked somewhat, if I left anything in there for the better part of the day, when I checked mail later, it caused the earlier mesages to vanish. Still in the actual folders...just no longer showing in the "new mail" folder, making it essentially useless for me.

So, I've wasted my money buying it, I have mail in both programs and can't export/import back into Eudora, so I have to use both for a time until I clear the important messages, unless someone knows how to get the mail I've received lately into Eudora from Barca.
Really wanted to like this... :cry:
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Sun May 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Sorry it's not working out. I haven't used Eudora in years, but I guess it's just a difference of what you are used to. I would have a hard time getting used to several folders opening up every time I checked my mail. :)

I have 75 folders and a few thousand messages. I too have multiple accounts. What I do is monitor my folders, they are highlighted in Yellow when new messages are placed in them.

I also have Show Total Messages and Show Unread Messages turned on (Folder > Folder Pane Colums) which makes it easier to see folders with unread messages.

As for moving messages back to Eudora, PocoMail/Barca supports exporting to Eudora. See FAQ: Import from Thunderbird / Pocomail/Incredimail at Eudora Forums.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby wbear » Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm

chrisretusn wrote:What I do is monitor my folders, they are highlighted in Yellow when new messages are placed in them.
That might help, how is that done? I've looked through all the settings several times and can't find that.

I also have Show Total Messages and Show Unread Messages turned on (Folder > Folder Pane Colums) which makes it easier to see folders with unread messages.
I've been using that, however, some folders show unread where there are none, and all read where there are some unread. Glitchy.

As for moving messages back to Eudora, PocoMail/Barca supports exporting to Eudora. See FAQ: Import from Thunderbird / Pocomail/Incredimail at Eudora Forums.

Actually, that states "EXPORT YOUR MAILS FROM INCREDIMAIL TO EUDORA", and in looking at the thread and readme file, it doesn't seem to do BARCA -> Eudora. File types are quite different in Barca.

I did see a menu for "file->export->folder->Eudora", but when I try it, nothing happens. No instructions or even a mention of it in the help files.
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 pm

wbear wrote:
chrisretusn wrote:What I do is monitor my folders, they are highlighted in Yellow when new messages are placed in them.
That might help, how is that done? I've looked through all the settings several times and can't find that.
As far as I know this is default behavior. I use PocoMail, but Barca acts the same way. I just installed it to test this out. Here is a screen shot from my Barca install to give you an idea of what is should look like.

wbear wrote:
chrisretusn wrote:I also have Show Total Messages and Show Unread Messages turned on (Folder > Folder Pane Colums) which makes it easier to see folders with unread messages.
I've been using that, however, some folders show unread where there are none, and all read where there are some unread. Glitchy.
I have never seen that problem, it has been rock solid for me. :)

There is also the number of new messages as seen in the above screen shot i.e., In (5)

wbear wrote:
chrisretusn wrote:As for moving messages back to Eudora, PocoMail/Barca supports exporting to Eudora. See FAQ: Import from Thunderbird / Pocomail/Incredimail at Eudora Forums.

Actually, that states "EXPORT YOUR MAILS FROM INCREDIMAIL TO EUDORA", and in looking at the thread and readme file, it doesn't seem to do BARCA -> Eudora. File types are quite different in Barca.

Here is the applicable section from that page. PocoMail and Barca are the same as far as email function goes.
To import mailboxes from Pocomail:

http://www.pocomail.com/poco/help/managing.html

Here they wrote:

The export mailbox function can be accessed from PocoMail Menu - File, Export, Mailbox. You can select from Netscape, Eudora or RFC 822 formats. Many programs support one or both of these formats for importing information, so hopefully, these will meet your export/import needs.

Just point Pocomail to export it's mail files in the Eudora format to your Eudora Data folder.

On WinY2K and XP systems the default location is the C:\\Documents and settings/Your User name/application data/Qualcomm/eudora.

If you are using win3.X, Win9X, ME etc. it is normally the Eudora Program folder C:\\Program Files/Eudora Mail or some such.

wbear wrote:I did see a menu for "file->export->folder->Eudora", but when I try it, nothing happens. No instructions or even a mention of it in the help files.
You need to select a folder to Export first, then you will get a export dialog box.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby wbear » Sun May 18, 2008 11:06 pm

chrisretusn wrote:As far as I know this [folder highlighting] is default behavior.
It used to do this, and now doesn't. At any rate, that won't help because (if I'm remembering right) the highlighting only lasts until you open that mailbox folder.

chrisretusn wrote:You need to select a folder to Export first, then you will get a export dialog box.
Weird. I did that twice, and it simply did nothing. After reading this, tried once more, and it prompted me for a location. :o
wbear
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To