[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - 550 relaying prohibited

550 relaying prohibited

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

550 relaying prohibited

Postby drjamie03 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:50 pm

I have just started to not be able to send messages. I get the error message "550 relaying prohibited by administrator". What does this mean and how can I fix it? I don't believe I have changed any settings, and I am logged in as an administrator. TIA
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby J-Mac » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:31 pm

Sounds like you're trying to send mail through your ISP's server, but from a different SMTP account. That's what "relaying" means.

Either you just started trying to send mail from an account that requires you to use its own SMTP server through your ISP, or your ISP just implemented a policy of no relaying.
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby Les Armitage » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:00 pm

SMTP needs the correct server address and most probably 'authentification' need setting to 'yes' with the same as the 'username' & 'password' as incoming mail
Les Armitage
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:07 pm

Can I expand on J-Mac's exlanation?

When you connect to the internet with your ISP, they provide you with an outgoing SMTP mail server to use. Barca sends the message to the SMTP server and the SMTP server sends it on its way to the recipient computer. More often these days ISPs restrict use of their SMTP server to only those users on their network (this prevents it being hijacked by spammers outide the ISP's network - otherwise known as an "open relay") The SMTP server knows that you are on the ISP's network by the IP address of your machine which is of course allocated by the ISP.

It seems likely that you were sending messages using an SMTP server outside your ISP, and the owner of the server has decided that it shall not be allowed to "relay" messages for you since you are not on its network.

There are two ways around this:
to use the SMTP server that your ISP provides
to see if the server you were using now requires authentication (username and password).
robin

Postby J-Mac » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:59 pm

Thanks for being more expressive, Robin.

It was quite late here when I posted, and I see I was not exactly expansive!
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Re: 550 relaying prohibited

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:19 am

drjamie03 wrote:I get the error message "550 relaying prohibited by administrator".

If you're still having problems, we really need more information from you, like:

1) Are you connected to your ISP when this happens, or are you on a different computer that does not connect to your ISP?

2) If you're connected to your ISP, are you using your ISP's SMTP server or are you using an external SMTP server?

3) Do you always check for new mail right before you send messages?

4) If you're on a different computer that does not connect to your ISP, are you using that computer network's SMTP server or your own ISP's SMTP server?
Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:33 am

Also, you can look at PocoMail's log output (press F12 and click the "Log" tab if you don't see it) to determine which host that PocoMail was talking to when it received the error.
Pete

Postby drjamie03 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the help. It did resolve itself inexplicably. I'm not sure what that was all about!
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:12 pm

Sounds like a hiccough with your ISP.
robin

Postby drjamie03 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:18 am

I am still having this problem periodically and don't have it with Pocomail or other email programs. The log says 'logging into mail.earthlink.net...550 relaying prohibited by administrator." It will start doing this at different times with no discernible pattern. Rebooting always fixes it. I am not checking mail just before getting this error message. Any ideas?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby drjamie03 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:22 am

A little more info, to answer prior questions. I am connected to my ISP when this happens, using my home computer, as I always am. Nothing is different from when it works and when it doesn't, as far as I can tell. And I don't know if I'm using my ISP's SMTP server or an external one. I don't believe I'm using an external one, but am not sure what that means. Barca connects directly using the server address (mail.earthlink.net).
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby J-Mac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:27 am

Is the e-mail address you're sending from an your EarthLink address?

Or is it another e-mail account that you've set up on your PC?
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Postby drjamie03 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:32 am

It's another earthlink account (business account). But this has happened with each of my accounts at different times.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Re: 550 relaying prohibited

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:20 pm

Pete wrote:3) Do you always check for new mail right before you send messages?

The reason that I asked you this is because some ISPs and/or email servers require that you check for new incoming mail right before you send an outgoing message (they might give you a certain amount of time that you can wait, however, between the check mail and the send mail). This would be one explanation for the symptoms that you see, although of course it might not be the answer.
Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:56 pm

Also, it sounds like you should be using Earthlink's authenticating email server (smtpauth.earthlink.net) for outgoing mail (if you're not already using it). You would want to do this for all relevant accounts in PocoMail (see "Tools > Accounts Setup" and/or "Tools > Options > Default Server").

The server settings that you need are at:
http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/i ... 0.psc.html
Pete

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To