[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Trouble compressing Tbird mbox files

Trouble compressing Tbird mbox files

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Trouble compressing Tbird mbox files

Postby karri » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 am

Good day all,

I downloaded Barca a few days ago after researching various email clients in hopes that this would be "the" solution to my Thunderbird woes. (I run a business and require something that isn't buggy!)

Anyway, I found a thread here on this forum that explained how to bring my Thunderbird files over to Barca (adding the .mbx extension) and it does work quite well :) However, even after compressing the Thunderbird mbox files they are reindexing in Barca with ALL the old deleted messages, including every single bit of junk mail I've ever received for that Inbox. ACK! Being a business owner, I've got a gazillion emails. I did do a Edit -> Select All and ran the Junk Mail filters but this doesn't fully address the issue of all the old deleted messages still sitting there, plus it doesn't obviously capture all the junk.

Anyone here figure out how to properly compress Tbird mail files? This is my last 'hurdle' to making Barca work for me ... and I REALLY want it to work :)

TIA!
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Trouble compressing Tbird mbox files

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 am

Hi Karri & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
karri wrote:Anyway, I found a thread here on this forum that explained how to bring my Thunderbird files over to Barca (adding the .mbx extension) and it does work quite well :) However, even after compressing the Thunderbird mbox files they are reindexing in Barca with ALL the old deleted messages, including every single bit of junk mail I've ever received for that Inbox. ACK!
Wouldn't it be better to compress those mailboxes in Thunderbird, prior to bringing them over to Barca.
If these aren't compressed, Barca will reindex them again and as such all junk will come back again. :?
Being a business owner, I've got a gazillion emails. I did do a Edit -> Select All and ran the Junk Mail filters but this doesn't fully address the issue of all the old deleted messages still sitting there, plus it doesn't obviously capture all the junk.
Barca needs to be trained first to obtain some good results.
My suggestion posted above will remove those unnecessary messages when Barca starts loading those mailboxes.
Or you could delete those messages and when done, compressing again, however the first suggestion will do it a lot faster. :P
This is my last 'hurdle' to making Barca work for me ... and I REALLY want it to work :)
Hope my suggestion helps you to get rid of those messages, if not, let me know. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 am

As Eric says, compression must happen in Thunderbird, through menu File > Compact Folders.

Barca has no way of knowing which messages have been deleted from databases, as that information is not stored in the files you have transferred manually.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby karri » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 am

Sorry guys for not replying sooner - was away for a week. Yes, I think the trick is to compress the folders individually (manually) in Explorer as I'm not convinced Thunderbird does a very good job of this on its own (?). But adding the .mbx extension and then importing the folders one at a time into Barca does seem to look promising, albeit a wee bit time consuming given how many folders I have!

Thought the only folder I'm really dreading importing is my Sent file ... it's got thousands of emails in it yet that is my audit trail and I do need to have it handy when corresponding with clients.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

As an aside, one of the main reasons I need to ditch Tbird is that for the life of me I cannot fix the infamous mime type issue. i.e. I cannot print emails, cannot open attachments without first detaching them, and cannot open hyperlinks without copying and pasting them into the browser manually. It really hit home last night when I had to - one by one - forward about 30+ emails to my gmail account online so that I could print them. I need to be able to print emails as they contain most of my receipts from all the online work I do for clients, etc. It's just getting too tedious and I've tried just about everything I can think of to fix the mime type issue, yet I'm only willing to tinker so much and then I just have to bury my friend and move on ;)

Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:20 am

karri wrote:Sorry guys for not replying sooner - was away for a week.
No need to apologize Karri. ;)
Yes, I think the trick is to compress the folders individually (manually) in Explorer as I'm not convinced Thunderbird does a very good job of this on its own (?).
:!: You won't be able to compress those folders in Explorer. That's something that must be done in TB only, prior to bringing those over.
But adding the .mbx extension and then importing the folders one at a time into Barca does seem to look promising, albeit a wee bit time consuming given how many folders I have!
It takes some work to migrate to another email client, but once it's all done, you'll be glad it's over.
Thought the only folder I'm really dreading importing is my Sent file ... it's got thousands of emails in it yet that is my audit trail and I do need to have it handy when corresponding with clients.
Make a copy of that folder and use that one to see your mails in Barca. If it won't work, you'll still have the original, although I think that shouldn't give problems. Better be prepared than sorry afterwards. :)
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Please do, I'm looking forward to it.
As an aside, one of the main reasons I need to ditch Tbird is that for the life of me I cannot fix the infamous mime type issue. i.e. I cannot print emails, cannot open attachments without first detaching them, and cannot open hyperlinks without copying and pasting them into the browser manually.
Strange to not being able to do that, but I don't have any experience with TB. :?
It's just getting too tedious and I've tried just about everything I can think of to fix the mime type issue, yet I'm only willing to tinker so much and then I just have to bury my friend and move on ;)
That's a lot of work just to print your messages. I do hope Barca will eliminates those worries.

Have a nice weekend Karri. ;)
Eric

Postby karri » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Okay, so I've got my largest email account imported over into Barca (yay!). Or at least I think I do ... I've got a bunch of mail folders under my one business domain in my Thunderbird profile and I've imported the biggest one. The folders for the one domain are have sequential naming conventions as in mail.mysite.com, mail.mysite.com-1, mail.mysite.com-2, etc etc. So am thinking Thunderbird created new mail files every time I might of deleted and recreated a POP account for that domain?

I kept trying to manually "import" my Sent file and then the imported files would somehow go MIA when I went to look for them after. So I just renamed with the .mbx and pasted into my Barca file. Worked great.

Anyhoo, my next question: I tried to print an email right away because this was a HUGE problem I was having with Thunderbird. But Barca says it cannot find the printer ... and another dialog says it's formatting. Is this because I've not purchased the software yet and my trial has run out? Or is something else "wrong" here?

I don't want to purchase the software only to find out I've got the same issues I had with Tbird. I say this b/c I also cannot open any hyperlinks (have to copy and paste instead). AND I can't open any attachments ... ugh.

Thanks!
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Karri,
karri wrote:Anyhoo, my next question: I tried to print an email right away because this was a HUGE problem I was having with Thunderbird. But Barca says it cannot find the printer ... and another dialog says it's formatting. Is this because I've not purchased the software yet and my trial has run out? Or is something else "wrong" here?
So Barca doesn't find your default printer :shock:
It has nothing to do with purchasing the software or the end of your trial.
Do you've a default printer?
Does it show when selecting to print from the menu?
:idea: If not, I would remove your printer software from your computer.
Download the latest software from their site.

Next use a registry cleaner to clear out all the junk inside your registry. Eventually compress that registry and reboot your computer.

When rebooted, install this new software with its latest drivers and see if that solves your issue.
I don't want to purchase the software only to find out I've got the same issues I had with Tbird. I say this b/c I also cannot open any hyperlinks (have to copy and paste instead). AND I can't open any attachments ... ugh.
My guess your problem lies elsewhere. Something got corrupted. :?
If you did make Barca your default, than hyperlinks should normally work or again something may have been broken.
You even can't open attachments :?:
Are those pictures or something else?

One step at the time, so we'll be able to fix your printing problem first. It works here, so it should work for you too.

Let me know what it gives. ;)
Eric

Postby karri » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:04 am

Hi Eric,

Well I think indeed there is something wrong with the registry on my computer (though I clean it all the time and re-cleaned it this a.m.). I'm having the exact same problems I had with Thunderbird :( That is, Barca can't seem to properly associate file types nor can it find my default printer.

Grrrrr. I don't suppose you're an expert in fixing such things eh?

Thought I'd try ;) I may need to either get an IT guru in here to fixie-fixie and/or resign myself to the fact it may be time for a new computer.

Thanks so much for all your help though! I think your comment about the registry has pointed me to the true issues at play here.

Sigh.
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:47 am

karri wrote:Well I think indeed there is something wrong with the registry on my computer (though I clean it all the time and re-cleaned it this a.m.). I'm having the exact same problems I had with Thunderbird :( That is, Barca can't seem to properly associate file types nor can it find my default printer.
Indeed, something is definitely wrong with your windows, since neither TB, nor Barca can access your default printer, as well as those file type associations. :(

Did you get infected by malware, since that could be part of the problem you're experiencing?
Or it could be some software you installed which mixed up things pretty badly.
Grrrrr. I don't suppose you're an expert in fixing such things eh?
I'm no expert, although I'm a pretty advanced user. Can't know everything, so I'll leave that to others who do know what they're talking about.

:idea: First off I would suggest to post an hijackthis log at one of those dedicated forums. Chose only one forum and read the instructions carefully. A spyware warrior (expert) will help you through to clean infections or if not found, will tell you so.

-> WhattheTech , CastleCops, Gladiator Security and many more to be found on the internet.

When your computer is clean, disable System Restore and reboot.
Re-enable System Restore and create a new system restore point.
This way you'll start with a clean system, so restoring it to its previous state won't reinfect your machine. :)

If you're using XP, do read this about XP Repair install.
Thought I'd try ;) I may need to either get an IT guru in here to fixie-fixie and/or resign myself to the fact it may be time for a new computer.
If it's an old machine, it may better to get a new computer, but that costs money.
If it can be fixed, it will maybe last a bit longer until you can afford a new computer.

If I could come over to your house, it would even be easier to fix your problem. I guess that's not possible because of the distance.
Maybe you can find someone who knows a bit more about it, so that person can repair your computer for free or some money.
Thanks so much for all your help though!
My utmost pleasure Karri. ;)
I think your comment about the registry has pointed me to the true issues at play here.
It could well be the registry or your windows got corrupt due to some infections or bad installs/uninstallations or a registry cleaner who removed necessary items in your registry.

Lots of possible causes, so better start with the most common cause, namely malware.
Only by eliminating possible causes, you'll find the real reason why it happened.

Good luck with it & let me know how it goes. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To