[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Check for update...

Check for update...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Check for update...

Postby thepcgp » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:18 am

When I click on 'Check for update...' from the 'Help' menu, I receive a little box that says 404 in it. When I click this I get another box saying 'Could not retrieve version information from the Internet. Error: "can't connect: No Error (Error #0)."

I have sent an email to support who have told me there may be a temporary problem with their server or it could be my firewall. Well, it's not my firewall as I have allowed Barca in its entirety.

Can anyone else check theirs and let me know, or if you know what may be causing it. I am running the latest version of Barca on Windows XP SP3.

Thank you
thepcgp
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:56 am

If you receive a message that has images in it, and those images are not inside that message but are sitting on some internet server (most common example of such message are newsletters sent by online vendors), will Barca download those messages or not (ie. not even after specifically clicking on the tri-color icon to "download images for this message only" which is located right above the message preview pane?

Other software besides firewall that could hypothetically interfere, is antispyware or antivirus.

Also with firewall, if a program is generally allowed in its entirety, it's still possible that there might a rule exist that blocks some particular kind of connection that overrides the "full rights rule" for that particular kind of connection.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby thepcgp » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:37 am

Barca loads images fine. It works in every way apart from the updates!

I've checked my firewall. All is fine and every other program and previous email client worked perfectly!

Could it be down to the update servers not working??
thepcgp
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 am

thepcgp wrote:Could it be down to the update servers not working??
I don't think so, since it works just fine here. :?

My guess something is blocking the check through your firewall, as Tomas already suggested.

Welcome to Poco Forums BTW thepcgp. :)
Eric

Postby thepcgp » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:02 am

I've tried uninstalling my firewall, antivirus & antispyware software, rebooting and still the same problem.

I've found a previous thread along these lines.

http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5822&highlight=updates

I would appreciate your comments.

Please don't get me wrong. Barca works just fine apart from this one feature. I can always check on the website to see if there are any updates. I'm 99.9% sure that there is nothing causing the issue on my system!
thepcgp
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 pm

thepcgp wrote:I've tried uninstalling my firewall, antivirus & antispyware software, rebooting and still the same problem.
I wonder if it has something to do with the new update from XP, namely SP3. :roll:
I've found a previous thread along these lines.
That's something that occurred in the previous build, however that should be fixed now, as already mentionned in that thread.
Please don't get me wrong. Barca works just fine apart from this one feature. I can always check on the website to see if there are any updates.
I'm not running XP SP3, but Vista, so I can't check it here, if it's caused by this service pack. :?
I'm 99.9% sure that there is nothing causing the issue on my system!
There's always a chance it's caused by something on your system, like addressed above or something else.

Hope someone else running the same OS can confirm that it's happening there too.

Sorry for not being able to help you further with this. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:54 pm

The update functionality was broken in the past.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have the latest one, Barca 2.5, build 3910, and in it update function works well. Also no one reported similar problem yet, so I believe it must be related to some particulars of your computer, just not sure what else could it be than what was discussed above already.

There are also possible IP resolution problems on the internet, I believe one such happened to pocosystems.com address in the last year, but I would exclude that as obviously you can access this forum so it shouldn't be a problem.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jayno » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:15 am

I am running XP SP2 and have experienced the 404 box when clicking Check for updates while offline. Once I connect to the internet I simply get the No updates message.

As this topic has been raised, I must say I can't remember ever getting a message that an Update was available (which may say more about my memory than Barca!), so I have assumed there hasn't been any update since I purchased Barca Pro 2.5 in Oct 2006. Is that correct?

Another question I have: If I have the latest version of Barca does it mean I have the latest version of Poco mail? And how do I check this?
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't remember the release dates from the top of my head, except the last minor update released around August? 2007.
In menu Help > About, check that the version reported ends with 3910 - that's the latest one.

As for latest version of Poco mail, if you mean as if "Poco email engine built into Barca" then yes, Barca's emailing is based on Pocomail engine and Barca 2.5.3910 is based/same what's in Pocomail 4.5.3910.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jayno » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:12 am

Hi Tomas, and thanks for your quick reply.

I have got the 3910 version, so that answers my question about updates and poco.

I have another question for you! :-

I run Barca on my home desktop but I have just bought a laptop to use when travelling. As my Barca licence can be used on two computers, I have installed it on the laptop. I have set this up with the same email address that I use on my desktop so I am wondering what the procedure is for replicating folders and mail between the two Barca's/machines? Can you advise me please? :)
Jayno
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:25 am

There are numerous possibilities. I'd advise to make sure you have good backup, before doing any of the further steps, just in case.

For example you can set it on laptop so that it will download new messages but keep them on server, and once you come home, your main desktop installation will download them all. Of course that way you would loose any information about new messages (read, replied, forwarded statuses) and about messages sent from notebook installation, unless you will transfer those manually.

Or you can use manual transfer of data files, from desktop to notebook, and once you are back you would transfer all data from notebook back to desktop. The exact details of manual transfer depend on whether you have the data in standalone location, or under main Pocomail installation. Exclude file poco.ini when doing this. If you need exact steps, email helpdesk through menu Help > Email support.

Or you could transfer through File > Backup and restore. You'd backup from desktop, everything except "Program preferences and settings" and restore on notebook from the backup path. Once you are back home, you'd backup from notebook and restore on desktop from the notebook backup.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jayno » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:25 am

Thankyou Tomas

Some good options to try there. I'll let you know how I get on.

:D
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To