[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - I'm converted but have questions re customization

I'm converted but have questions re customization

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

I'm converted but have questions re customization

Postby karri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:22 am

Hi all,

Okay, I'm now a "user." And slowly finding my way around this crazy, er, neat system. But here are my outstanding questions so far (stuff I cannot figure out no matter how much coffee I drink!):

1) Love the idea of instant reply. But sometimes when I use it nothing but my signature shows up in the corresponding Sent file. Is there a "trick" to this?

2) I currently have Quote Text When Replying selected in Options -> Sending Messages. But when I look at the corresponding Sent file (to see if the text was actually quoted and how), the quoted text is nowhere to be seen. I really really need to have full email threads in my replies to clients and subs ... but how?

3) When I go to compose a new message (say by clicking "New"), and then tab down to the text area to start typing, the cursor "lands" right in the middle of my signature as opposed to above my signature. This might seem nitpicky but when you type as many emails as I do in a day, having to manually move the cursor to just the right spot before I can begin typing an email is actually quite time consuming (and annoying). Help?

4) How to I create an Action button at the top toolbar that classifies an email as junk? I find that wee File as Junk button in the message toolbar to be rather ineffective and of poor usability. I much prefer to scroll through my emails and either delete or junkify right from the main toolbar at the top of the interface.

5) Does Barca/Poco have some kind of "plugin" that allows me to specify a date and time to queue an email for? i.e. not just put the email in the Queue but actually tell Barca to send that email at a specific point in time later on?

That's it for now ;)
Thanks in advance!
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 am

Hi Karri,
karri wrote:Okay, I'm now a "user." And slowly finding my way around this crazy, er, neat system.
Congratulations, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. :)
1) Love the idea of instant reply. But sometimes when I use it nothing but my signature shows up in the corresponding Sent file. Is there a "trick" to this?
Just type in the text for your reply and when done press 'Instant Reply'.
If you don't want any signatures inside that reply, just disable it in Tools > Options > Advanced > Sending Email.
2) I currently have Quote Text When Replying selected in Options -> Sending Messages. But when I look at the corresponding Sent file (to see if the text was actually quoted and how), the quoted text is nowhere to be seen. I really really need to have full email threads in my replies to clients and subs ... but how?
Have a look at this picture.

Is that box checked?

As an aside take a look at the Quote Bar and AutoText. 8)
3) When I go to compose a new message (say by clicking "New"), and then tab down to the text area to start typing, the cursor "lands" right in the middle of my signature as opposed to above my signature. This might seem nitpicky but when you type as many emails as I do in a day, having to manually move the cursor to just the right spot before I can begin typing an email is actually quite time consuming (and annoying). Help?
Strange, mine is always set in the To: field.
Are you using templates by any chance?
4) How to I create an Action button at the top toolbar that classifies an email as junk? I find that wee File as Junk button in the message toolbar to be rather ineffective and of poor usability. I much prefer to scroll through my emails and either delete or junkify right from the main toolbar at the top of the interface.
I don't know of any action button on the toolbar. Only present in the toolbar above the Preview window, which I prefer.

It's possible with a script assigned to a user button.
See Script to Modify Junk Mail Filtering and maybe someone else knows another way to achieve what you're looking for.

If you use the event OnDisplay to protect your In, Junk and Trash folder, than there's no need to deactivate that Preview window.

All the rest of my messages are transferred to their folder/sub folder and since it's set to block images, I only have to press a button to show those images. In most cases I don't press it. :lol:
5) Does Barca/Poco have some kind of "plugin" that allows me to specify a date and time to queue an email for? i.e. not just put the email in the Queue but actually tell Barca to send that email at a specific point in time later on?
That's an OnTime event.
See Possible to sent queued message precilely on that moment.

Hope that will help you to get started.
I'll look into that cursor problem later on to see what may be responsible. ;)
Last edited by Eric on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric

Postby karri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 pm

I'll try to answer your answers one by one but geez I hope my "issues" aren't my 'puter again ;)

1) Re Instant Reply: Been there. Did that. Didn't work :(

2) Re Quote Text: Yes indeedy I've got that checked. I read about the little trick with highlighting text in the Quote bar too. Sometimes my email threads with clients need to have an "audit trail" so we know what the other has been talking about ;)

3) Re Cursor landing in odd spot: I should have explained this better. The cursor does initially "land" in the To: field. But then when I tab down to the text field to type the email, the cursor tabs to the middle of the last line of my signature. So then I have to manually (mouse) move the cursor back to where I need it to be to start typing. I will check my template again though ... maybe something there?

4) Re junk mail deletion (ease of use): Interesting! Gonna give that a try :) Thanks.

5) Re OnTime event: Kewl. Will check that out too.

Thanks,
Karri
Karri Flatla, Internet Marketing Consultant
snap! virtual associates inc.
http://www.snap-va.com
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby karri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:50 pm

Okay, this is so WEIRD.

When I use Instant Reply, it's actually working but the text is being inserted into the middle of the bottom line of my signature! So really, it's the same thing going on here as with the cursor-landing-in-a-strange-place template issue I'm having :shock:

I'm going to delete my signature and add it again just to see what happens 8)

You never know if someone else had the same problem so I'll post my findings here!
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby karri » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Okay, so still no luck:

1) Even with Quote Text option checked, the original email thread in my replies is always gone. Hubbie confirmed this for me today when he said none of the original conversation was showing up in my replies. Help?

2) When I tab down from the To: field to the text area to start typing the cursor is now landing at the end of my signature rather than before it (so that I can start typing w/o having to manually relocate my cursor). Thoughts? Tried editing sig and template but not really sure what I should be looking for.

Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:59 am

karri wrote:Okay, so still no luck:
Pity, since it works here.
1) Even with Quote Text option checked, the original email thread in my replies is always gone. Hubbie confirmed this for me today when he said none of the original conversation was showing up in my replies. Help?
:idea: Let us try something else.

1. Close Barca first.
2. Rename barca.ini to barca_old.ini
3. Restart Barca now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.
2) When I tab down from the To: field to the text area to start typing the cursor is now landing at the end of my signature rather than before it (so that I can start typing w/o having to manually relocate my cursor). Thoughts? Tried editing sig and template but not really sure what I should be looking for.
Try the above suggestion first.

Just verified it here and when I tab down the cursor lands above my signature, so it starts on the first line.
Edit: Using a template will insert the cursor into your signature when tabbing down.

Are you using a template or simply pressing New?

Let me know if that changes anything. ;)
Eric

Postby karri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 am

Okay, I renamed the .ini file and restarted Barca. No change.

So do I have to manually select the text in the quote bar every time I send a reply in order to get the threaded email conversation to show up? Weird :(

Still having the "misplaced" cursor thing-a-majigger going on in my template. Maybe I'm just bein' nitpicky though ;)

I'm determined to get this all figured out however!

Thanks,
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby karri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Okay, I got rid of the template and am using default signatures for each account. This eliminates the misplaced cursor issue (tabbing to end of sig instead of before it). So, something weird with templates but I don't really need templates at this point. It's more the automated insertion of sigs I require.

I also unchecked the option "Quote only selected text if selection present." That did it. Conversation threads seem to be retained when I reply to an email.

Back at it ...
Karri
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:00 pm

karri wrote:Okay, I got rid of the template and am using default signatures for each account. This eliminates the misplaced cursor issue (tabbing to end of sig instead of before it). So, something weird with templates but I don't really need templates at this point. It's more the automated insertion of sigs I require.
Yep, with templates you do have this problem.
Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version.
I also unchecked the option "Quote only selected text if selection present." That did it. Conversation threads seem to be retained when I reply to an email.
Weird, got to test that out, but if it works this way ... then that's the way to go.

Till next time Karri & have fun with Barca. ;)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To