[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Newsgroup Messages

Newsgroup Messages

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:19 am

I don't understand what I'm not doing correctly - I've set up an account for my newgroups and have subscribed to selected groups. I cannot see any messages. I can see them in Outlook Express but not in Barca - it indicates there are no messages which is not correct. Exactly how does one download a newsgroup post once one has subscribed to a newsgroup?
Never argue with a fool, he may doing the same.
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:25 pm

Can you post details of how you have set up the newsgroups (suitably sanitised if necessary) - it may be a simple setting that you have.
robin

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:44 pm

My settings are as follows:

Newsgroup account:

"General" tab:

Personal Information:
Name: My name
E-mail: My email address

Incoming Mail Settings (I have checked the box):
Server: news.optonline.net
Username: blank (not needed)
Password: blank (not neede)
Server Type: Newsgroups

"Check for new mail every five minutes" is checked

"Newsgroups" tab (no need to santize <g>):

Newsgroup Information:
Subscribed groups:
rec.auto.maker.chrysler
rec.photo.marketplace.digital
rec.photo.digital

"Incoming" tab:

Nothing is checked, using all default settings

"Outgoing" tab:

Nothing is checked, using all default settings

"Templates" tab:

Using all default settings

"Privacy" tab:

Using all default settings

Note that a log-in is not required to access newsgroups. Thanks for your help
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:58 pm

I think that you need to press the Sync Index button at the bottom of the index pane :wink:

I never got the "check every x minutes" to work and I wonder if it is meant for NewsGroups... :?
robin

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:12 am

I've tried that, to no avail. I'd really like to ditch Outlook and Outlook Express, once I get the newsgroup messages to download I can do that.
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:53 am

For the moment I'm at a loss for what to suggest because it works OK for me. I'll think about it some more...
robin

Postby robin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:02 am

This is strange...the symptoms that you mention are like not having a correct news server in the server box. I can get rec.photo.marketplace.digital through my local server, but not rec.auto.maker.chrysler, so the problem doesn't seem to lie with Barca entirely. If I try and use your news server then I get nothing.

Have you got the right name for the news server...my tests suggest that an incorrect server name will cause this, but Barca does not give an error if the news server does not exist ( :?: )
robin

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:43 am

I've got the right news server - I couldn't subscribe to any newsgroups if I didn't. If the server is invalid then I couldn't download the list of groups, which I did. Hold on a minute - it now seems to be working. I'm doing nothing different and made no changes but it is working so I'll count my blessings. While I'm at it, I want to thank you for all of your very quick responses and your help.
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Newsgroup Messages

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:55 am

ntotrr wrote:Hold on a minute - it now seems to be working.
The news server could have been down, so that would explain why it didn't work before, but now it does. :wink:
Eric

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:22 pm

I know the news server wasn't down - I could download the messages with Outlook Express at the same moment I couldn't with Barca. It's working now so I won't look a gift horse in the mouth :D
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Newsgroup Messages

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:01 pm

ntotrr wrote:I know the news server wasn't down - I could download the messages with Outlook Express at the same moment I couldn't with Barca. It's working now so I won't look a gift horse in the mouth :D

ntotrr wrote:Never argue with a fool, he may doing the same.

Just thought I'll point out the interesting quote from your signature. :D :D
Alpha

Newsgroup Messages

Postby ntotrr » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:09 am

I can't claim ti be the originator, I heard it once and haven't forgotten it since.
ntotrr
Drop-in Visitor

Postby paulheu » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:19 am

Just setup a newsgroup, worked straight away..

Setup pretty much as you did, pressed sync in the newsgroup view and voila..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To