[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Moving messages manually from in box to mailboxes

Moving messages manually from in box to mailboxes

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Moving messages manually from in box to mailboxes

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi,

I have a complex folder structure (just imported from Outlook 2000, I am a Barca newbie still testing the program).
My customary way of working is to read new messages in the In box, and if a message is worth filtering to a mailbox, I do it on the fly, usually from within the message.
Is there any way of doing this in Barca? All I can find so far is the option of leaving the message and going to the list of In box messages, then dragging and dropping manually or going through the whole of the folder tree structure by right clicking on the message and selecting "Move message to".

I don't want an automatic filter, because I want to read the messages before I decide whether to filter or delete them. If I have to define regular filters and then apply them manually, I would need a regular stock of perhaps 30 to 40, and the option of choosing other mailboxes manually from within the message (there are probably about 100 mailboxes that I sometimes want to move messages to, and the folder tree can go through 4 or 5 hierarchical levels).
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Re: Moving messages manually from in box to mailboxes

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi Victor & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Victor Dewsbery wrote: I am a Barca newbie still testing the program).
Have fun during the test. If you do have other questions, look around and if not found start a new topic.
I don't want an automatic filter, because I want to read the messages before I decide whether to filter or delete them. If I have to define regular filters and then apply them manually, I would need a regular stock of perhaps 30 to 40, and the option of choosing other mailboxes manually from within the message (there are probably about 100 mailboxes that I sometimes want to move messages to, and the folder tree can go through 4 or 5 hierarchical levels).
You could eventually create your manual filters for those important messages.

When read, use the Focus to select only Read messages.
Next press CTRL+A and apply your manual filters on those messages. :)

Just a quick answer, so I'll look at it more closely later on. ;)

~ FYI: Moving this from Poco to the Barca section. ~
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 am

You could eventually create your manual filters for those important messages.
When read, use the Focus to select only Read messages.
Next press CTRL+A and apply your manual filters on those messages.

Oh dear, it sounds like it is not possible to do it on the fly from within the message. It seems that I will have to close the message first, remember which message I want to apply which filter to, then go back to the list of messages and do it manually.
Outlook was certainly not ideal, but at least this function was reasonably efficient.
Otherwise I like the look and feel of Barca so far (and perhaps I could even get to grips with the calendar and planning functions, which was on my "some day never" list in Outlook). So I hope that a solution to my message sorting issue will be possible.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:25 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:Oh dear, it sounds like it is not possible to do it on the fly from within the message. It seems that I will have to close the message first, remember which message I want to apply which filter to, then go back to the list of messages and do it manually.
Yes, just checked it here. Only when the message is closed.

Don't know what's your preference, but if you discard all messages you don't need, you only have those messages you really want.
Applying the Focus, selecting and the manual filters will move those messages to their destination. :)

For me all messages are filtered to their folder/subfolder. They stay unread until I open them. If you right-click on the Folder tree, you can select to only show Unread messages.
Even if you do filter them, those numbers are still displayed next to the folder.

Outlook doesn't display the numbers of unread messages in subfolders, Barca does. 8)
At least in my Outlook version 2003.
Outlook was certainly not ideal, but at least this function was reasonably efficient.
Never used it that way, so I'll have a look tomorrow at work. :?
Otherwise I like the look and feel of Barca so far (and perhaps I could even get to grips with the calendar and planning functions, which was on my "some day never" list in Outlook). So I hope that a solution to my message sorting issue will be possible.
There's a beta starting soon, so perhaps you could ask PSI for an enhancement.
I like the suggestion, but whether it will be included in the next update remains to be seen.
Maybe for the next upgrade, although I can't promise anything.

Sorry. :wink:
Eric

T-Bird

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

For what it's worth, Thunderbird can move messages directly to folders "on the fly" without having to close the message. Not as easily as Outlook, but at least it works.
For me, "some day perhaps in a beta, or perhaps not" is not enough help for my purposes (I need this flexible sorting all day every day now).
Pity, because most of what I have seen in Barca was positive.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby mcrain » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Oh dear, it sounds like it is not possible to do it on the fly from within the message. It seems that I will have to close the message first, remember which message I want to apply which filter to, then go back to the list of messages and do it manually.

If I understand your desire when you say "on the fly" you want to read a message and if desired sort it to a folder immediately then go to another messages and do the same and so on. Seems this would be possible in Barca two ways.

1. If you open the message and read it and then wish to sort it to a folder immediatley, once you close it it will still be selected in the message index, you could right click it and move it from there before moving to the next message.
2. If you use the preview pane to read the messages the same action would be possible without having to even open/close the message.
mcrain
Resident Poster

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 pm

mcrain wrote:If I understand your desire when you say "on the fly" you want to read a message and if desired sort it to a folder immediately then go to another messages and do the same and so on. Seems this would be possible in Barca two ways.
2. If you use the preview pane to read the messages the same action would be possible without having to even open/close the message.

That looks promising. Perhaps I'll give it a shot again (partly because I hit font size and encoding problems in T-Bird, and Barca looks so much cleaner and better).
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Perhaps a bug?

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:32 pm

That looks promising. Perhaps I'll give it a shot again (partly because I hit font size and encoding problems in T-Bird, and Barca looks so much cleaner and better).

Viewing the message in the preview pane and moving individual messages by right clicking in the message index works quite well. (It would be an enhancement if this could be done without moving the mouse so much, but I'm not sure how else it could be implemented).

However, one thing appears strange: after the last message has been moved or deleted from the message index, the content of the deleted/moved message is still shown in the preview pane. If I click somewhere else (e.g. the calendar or another folder) and then return to the message index, the preview pane is empty.

Logically, the message should be cleared from the preview pane when it is moved/deleted from the message index (or at least, this would appear logical to me). I would suggest that this could be a bug (fairly harmless and therefore not urgent, but should be fixed at some time). How do you notify bugs (or ask for improvements) on this forum? (Eric mentioned "PSI", but I don't know who or what the initials stand for).
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Re: Perhaps a bug?

Postby Tomas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:How do you notify bugs (or ask for improvements) on this forum? (Eric mentioned "PSI", but I don't know who or what the initials stand for).

This one was reported already, but shall you have any other bugs to report, or any issues or questions, you can always turn to Poco Systems helpdesk, http://www.pocosystems.com/helpdesk/ , or through Pocomail or Barca menu Help > Email support.

PSI stands for Poco Systems Inc.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Using the preview pane and moving messages into folders by right clicking on the message (or multiple messages), selecting "Move to folder" and moving through the folder tree structure works well and is now a regular part of my routine with Barca.

Suggestion:
It would be great if it were possible to create a new folder within this folder tree display.
Today, I wanted to move a message to a folder, but when I opened the folder tree I found I did not yet have a folder for that particular customer, so I had to leave the folder tree, create the new folder in the "Folders" list (and move it by dragging b'cos it got put in the wrong place), then go back to move the message.

Disclaimer: this is one of the features that I am accustomed to as an ex-Outlook user, so my wish may be just a minority opinion.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:38 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:Disclaimer: this is one of the features that I am accustomed to as an ex-Outlook user, so my wish may be just a minority opinion.
It would be nice to have that, so who knows what will come in version 3 :?:
Since PSI reads these posts they may take that into consideration as an enhancement request.

Maybe your wish may come through after all. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To