[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:26 am

About half way through my trial period; some things I like, but some things raise questions.

1. Attachments
I frequently receive mails with attachments, and the attachments are files which I need to process. When I right click on the file and select "Save as", Barca tries to make me change the extension (for a file with a "doc" extension it offers me the default extension "docm", although I do not have Word 2007 on my system). OK, I can change this, but it is a serious annoyance factor (as if Barca were trying to trip me up, or at least forcing me to use the mouse more than necessary).
I note that it is not possible to drag and drop attachments from the e-mail to the desired folder (which I sometimes found rather convenient in Outlook).

2. Replying to messages
I note that when I reply to messages, the client's signature and the original date/subject etc. are not quoted at all as default. If I select the whole of the message and hit reply, everything is quoted, but it is all in the same font and colour, with double lines in between the lines of the original mail and with the original date/subject/sender split onto separate lines. So there is no visual distinction between the message content and the secondary information.
Is there any way to quote the message in a more meaningful and clearly laid out fashion, or do I have to post-edit every reply I make to messages to correct the rather unflattering layout?
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Re: Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:37 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:1. Attachments
I frequently receive mails with attachments, and the attachments are files which I need to process. When I right click on the file and select "Save as", Barca tries to make me change the extension (for a file with a "doc" extension it offers me the default extension "docm", although I do not have Word 2007 on my system).
What are those attachments :?:
All attachments are saved the same way as they are named in the mails.
Perhaps you could send one of those messages as attachment to Support or upload it through the Poco Systems Helpdesk. :)
I note that it is not possible to drag and drop attachments from the e-mail to the desired folder (which I sometimes found rather convenient in Outlook).
Indeed, not yet possible in the current release.
2. Replying to messages
I note that when I reply to messages, the client's signature and the original date/subject etc. are not quoted at all as default.
You could insert the following into Tools > Options > Quoting Text > Reply

Code: Select all
%sender% wrote on %sent%:
%header%:"subject"
%qbody%

As for the signature, do you have 'Do not quote sigdash-formatted signatures' checked in Tools > Options > Advanced > Sending Email?
Is there any way to quote the message in a more meaningful and clearly laid out fashion, or do I have to post-edit every reply I make to messages to correct the rather unflattering layout?
Not sure if it may help, but I don't use the quote.
I only use the Quote Bar, together with AutoText. 8)

You could shape it to fit your needs.

This way you don't have to use the quote and you can select whatever you want to put in that mail.

Hope that helps. :wink:
Eric

Making progress (slowly)

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks, Eric, for your help.
I am making some progress, at least on some of my points. I hope the replies will be more as I need them (I did the thing for the signatures yesterday and have just entered what you suggest to the quoting text box, so I hope that will work).

I think I have more or less got a handle on the attachments now. The attachments I receive are mainly DOC files, or sometimes XLS, PPT or PDF (they are files which I then have to translate and return to the client - I am a freelance translator).

One thing I notice: in the message preview pane I can't see the attachments at all. I think they were there a few days ago, but I can't for the life of me find any menu box where I can restore them.

And when I double click on the message to display it in a similar window, I get a narrow little squeezed window on the left with the message text, and a massive wide window with the attachments and lots of unnecessary white space on the right. I can drag the dividing line each time so that I can actually READ the message, but this layout change never sticks, so I have to drag the dividing line every single time I open such a message.

I have a couple of other points, but I think they had better go in a different thread.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Re: Making progress (slowly)

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:Thanks, Eric, for your help.
My pleasure to help you with it Victor. ;)
I am making some progress, at least on some of my points. I hope the replies will be more as I need them (I did the thing for the signatures yesterday and have just entered what you suggest to the quoting text box, so I hope that will work).
Good to hear. :)
Let me know if those suggestions worked out for you.
I think I have more or less got a handle on the attachments now. The attachments I receive are mainly DOC files, or sometimes XLS, PPT or PDF (they are files which I then have to translate and return to the client - I am a freelance translator).
I wonder why those extensions are changed when saving, since it never occurs here.
I know OutPost firewall does have a plugin to automatically change suspected attachments, but I suppose that's not the case here :?:
One thing I notice: in the message preview pane I can't see the attachments at all. I think they were there a few days ago, but I can't for the life of me find any menu box where I can restore them.
You'll have to open the Attachment pane to see all those attachments.

Or maybe you've hidden it by an option. Can't check it here, so I'll respond to that later on.
And when I double click on the message to display it in a similar window, I get a narrow little squeezed window on the left with the message text, and a massive wide window with the attachments and lots of unnecessary white space on the right. I can drag the dividing line each time so that I can actually READ the message, but this layout change never sticks, so I have to drag the dividing line every single time I open such a message.
When opening that message, could you go to the main menu? There's an option to save it as default style.
Change it the way you like it and afterwards apply it as default. :)
I have a couple of other points, but I think they had better go in a different thread.
I'll see what I can do about those. Don't know everything :lol:, so we'll see.
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Eric wrote:
Victor Dewsbery wrote:One thing I notice: in the message preview pane I can't see the attachments at all. I think they were there a few days ago, but I can't for the life of me find any menu box where I can restore them.
You'll have to open the Attachment pane to see all those attachments.
Or maybe you've hidden it by an option. Can't check it here, so I'll respond to that later on.

I see no attachment pane and no arrows.
Under View>Show I have a tick next to "Show attachment pane". This is obviously not enough to actually show the pane in the preview pane, and I have no idea where else to look.
When opening that message, could you go to the main menu? There's an option to save it as default style.

No, I can't get to the main menu, and nothing in the right click window seems relevant. (':?')

On your other question (about changed attachment extensions), I have never heard of the OutPost firewall (as you suspected).

~ Removed duplicate image in quote ... Eric ~
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:I see no attachment pane and no arrows.
Under View>Show I have a tick next to "Show attachment pane". This is obviously not enough to actually show the pane in the preview pane, and I have no idea where else to look.
Strange :roll:
Do you use WindowBlinds by any chance?
If you do, exclude Barca from being skinned.

If not the case then perhaps this below may help.

:idea: If you could post a screenshot, that would help to see your problem.
Host the picture at ImageShack or PhotoBucket or another and insert the link between IMG-tags here. Resize the image in order not to blow the borders in your post.
No, I can't get to the main menu, and nothing in the right click window seems relevant. (':?')
Maybe I expressed myself poorly. :oops:
Open your message and in that same message you do have the menu at the top. There you'll find that option. :)
On your other question (about changed attachment extensions), I have never heard of the OutPost firewall (as you suspected).
Ok, so that's not it. :?
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 pm

No WindowBlinds, and I have never skinned Barca (been tempted though ':lol:').

No joy on the screenshots (ImageShack doesn't seem to want me).

But when I open the message in a separate window (giving me a vertical ribbon 5 cm wide for the text and a monster window 24 cm wide for the attachments), there is no main menu at the top. The top menu on the screen shows: Reply - Reply All - Forward - Bounce - (up/down) - Delete.
You did not express yourself poorly, you simply described a menu that is apparently present on your screen and missing on mine.
The controls here are not exactly intuitive - there is no way to add this menu in the message window. It is probably hidden in one of the settings and/or message and/or view menues. Or perhaps there is a setting somewhere else that negates the setting that I thought I had added in the View>Show menu. I am amazed at how many conflicting commands there seem to be in the various out-of-the-way corners of the program. Perhaps I'm just not geeky enough to get the hang of Barca (although I manage in other programs and have even done some beta testing for one of my progs '8)').
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:No WindowBlinds, and I have never skinned Barca (been tempted though ':lol:').
Don't, I've removed it here a long time ago. :lol:
No joy on the screenshots (ImageShack doesn't seem to want me).
Not even with PhotoBucket :?:
But when I open the message in a separate window (giving me a vertical ribbon 5 cm wide for the text and a monster window 24 cm wide for the attachments), there is no main menu at the top. The top menu on the screen shows: Reply - Reply All - Forward - Bounce - (up/down) - Delete.
Have to verify that at home. I'll post a screenshot.
You did not express yourself poorly, you simply described a menu that is apparently present on your screen and missing on mine.
No Barca here, only Outlook at work. :?

Got to go now, so I'll respond to the rest later on. ;)
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:42 am

Eric wrote:
Victor Dewsbery wrote:But when I open the message in a separate window (giving me a vertical ribbon 5 cm wide for the text and a monster window 24 cm wide for the attachments), there is no main menu at the top. The top menu on the screen shows: Reply - Reply All - Forward - Bounce - (up/down) - Delete.
Have to verify that at home.
You're right, there's no menu at the top when opening an existing message.
Sorry for the wrong information. :oops:

However when composing a new message, you'll find it under Format > Use as Default Message Style.
For the attachment pane you simply have to drag it to the desired position. Barca should remember it, but apparently it doesn't on your end. :?
Did you close Barca afterwards?
On restart is it still the same?
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:14 am

Eric wrote:However when composing a new message, you'll find it under Format > Use as Default Message Style.
For the attachment pane you simply have to drag it to the desired position. Barca should remember it, but apparently it doesn't on your end. :?

As far as I can tell, they are two different topics.

When I compose a new message and add an attachment, the attachment pane is displayed at the top of the window in place of the headers pane. I can toggle to show either the headers or the attachment pane (but not both at the same time, as far as I can see). Neither pane can be dragged, and the position of the attachment pane has nothing to do with where the attachment pane comes in the separate message window.

So I am back to square one with the message pane layout.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:02 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:As far as I can tell, they are two different topics.
Indeed. :)
When I compose a new message and add an attachment, the attachment pane is displayed at the top of the window in place of the headers pane.
That's not the Attachment Pane, but instead the Attachment Tab.

See also Attachment Pane. Perhaps it can help to show that Attachment Pane in the Preview Window with the arrows.

Also the Attachment Pane will only show up if there are attachments present in that message.

Here's a screenshot of my Preview Window with the arrows to open it. It's quite small in size when opened.

Here's the same message, but now opened. The size of the Attachment Pane remains the same as in the Preview Window.
Changing the size in the Preview will automatically be the same in that opened message. :)

Neither pane can be dragged, and the position of the attachment pane has nothing to do with where the attachment pane comes in the separate message window.
Yes, it's preset, so you can't change anything there.
So I am back to square one with the message pane layout.
Don't know how else to help you with this, unless you want to reset your barca.ini, so it reverts to default settings.

Otherwise contact Support and include your settings.

Hope it will solve your problem. ;)
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Eric wrote:
Victor Dewsbery wrote:1. Attachments
I frequently receive mails with attachments, and the attachments are files which I need to process. When I right click on the file and select "Save as", Barca tries to make me change the extension (for a file with a "doc" extension it offers me the default extension "docm", although I do not have Word 2007 on my system).
What are those attachments :?:
All attachments are saved the same way as they are named in the mails.

No they are not. Just confirmed this again.

A customer sent me a (confidential) Word file, presumably created in Word 2007, but the file has a "doc" extension. When I right click on the attachment and select "Save as", the save box offers this to me as the file type "Word 2007 macro-enabled document (docm)". Clicking on the little triangle to the right, the list of file types also offers "Word 2007 document (docx)".
The format "doc" is not even given as an option.
The only solution is to open the file itself and select "Save as" within Word.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:No they are not. Just confirmed this again.
Weird :shock:
I would suggest to send some of those messages to Support as an attachment (EML), so they can have a look at it.

Have a nice weekend. ;)
Eric

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:55 pm

The Helpdesk solved my "attachment display" problem.
The solution involved making a change to the attachment width in Barca.ini. Now I can see the attachments properly in the preview pane and the separate message window.

I'll keep my eye on the attachment save format issue.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:23 am

I have now sent a sample message which triggers the strange "Save as" behaviour to the Helpdesk.

Strangely, I find that right clicking on an attachment in a message brings up different context menues, depending on the message and the attachments. I have sent screenshots to the Helpdesk. At least one context menu does not seem to belong to Barca (at least I assume so, because it is partly in German, which is the language of my OS, my MS Office 2000 installation and various other things on my computer).
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To