[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Questions: 1. Attachments, 2. Replying to messages

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:I have now sent a sample message which triggers the strange "Save as" behaviour to the Helpdesk.
:)
Strangely, I find that right clicking on an attachment in a message brings up different context menues, depending on the message and the attachments. I have sent screenshots to the Helpdesk. At least one context menu does not seem to belong to Barca (at least I assume so, because it is partly in German, which is the language of my OS, my MS Office 2000 installation and various other things on my computer).
Seems some of those messages with attachments were not encoded (see Options), thus you'll see the Windows Explorer pop-up. :?
For those who were encoded the normal menu will show up.
Changing that option will only work on newly downloaded messages and not on those already downloaded.

Hope that helps you understand it better and glad to hear your attachment display was solved through the Helpdesk. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 am

Eric wrote:Seems some of those messages with attachments were not encoded (see Options), thus you'll see the Windows Explorer pop-up. :?

That was it!

The file is already "saved" in that case, so for "Save As" menu choice Windows Explorer offers, perhaps (my guess), the conversion to other Word formats.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Eric wrote:Seems some of those messages with attachments were not encoded (see Options), thus you'll see the Windows Explorer pop-up. :?
For those that were encoded the normal menu will show up.
Changing that option will only work on newly downloaded messages and not on those already downloaded.
Hope that helps you understand it better and glad to hear your attachment display was solved through the Helpdesk. ;)

Yes, combined with the message from Helpdesk, I think I get the point now.
In case anyone faces the same problem, here is what I deduce about the various tick boxes in Tools>Options>Encoding options:

Box 1. Extract attachments from incoming email and save them to Attachments directory (keeps folder size to a minimum)
If this box is ticked, right clicking on the attachment will open the Windows Explorer context menu instead of the Barca context menu.
In my case this was a problem - the "Save as" option in the Windows context menu did not allow me to save attachments in the same format as the original (.doc), but only offered me .docm and .docx.
The Barca context menu is much easier to handle for my purposes.
So if (like me) you receive files by e-mail which you need to save on your hard disk and process in the original format, it is probably best to leave this box unchecked.

Box 2: Save copies of attachments you send in your outgoing folder, with the message
A question of personal taste. I have ticked this box because I want to be able to check and document what files I have sent.

Box 3: Overwrite previously extracted incoming attachments if they have one of the following extensions:
Not sure what this option is for - and it probably has no effect if box 1 is ticked.

This sort of blow-by-blow account of what the option does would be useful for many of the dialogue and option boxes in Tools>Options. I suspect that some of what I have called "surprises" are a question of documentation.

Suggestion: Why not set up a new forum for documentation, and let users contribute the solutions that have helped them to fix their issues. After all, nobody can predict what users may run into (for example, one very experienced user commented "I've never tried to use the program like that" when I reported on a feature that I couldn't get to work - then someone else suggested a perfectly workable solution). This is no reflection on the programmer, the moderators or experienced users, it is simply a result of the complexities of user requirements.
Therefore my suggestion of a collaborative and cumulative documentation of the "nuts and bolts" which goes into more detail than the built-in Help.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:Yes, combined with the message from Helpdesk, I think I get the point now.
Good to hear. :)

Box 3: Overwrite previously extracted incoming attachments if they have one of the following extensions:
Not sure what this option is for - and it probably has no effect if box 1 is ticked.
It means it won't overwrite the attachment in your Attach directory if it has the same name.
Instead it will give it another number.
It will take effect if that box is checked, since all incoming attachments will be stored in that directory (= extracted).
I suspect that some of what I have called "surprises" are a question of documentation.
Indeed, not everything can be found in the Help files. :?
Suggestion: Why not set up a new forum for documentation, and let users contribute the solutions that have helped them to fix their issues.
Not another forum, but some kind of wiki would be nice.
Therefore my suggestion of a collaborative and cumulative documentation of the "nuts and bolts" which goes into more detail than the built-in Help.
Quite a good suggestion, although I would prefer to have it available within Barca.
It could for example consult the online wiki and project possible answers.
Just some brainstorming about it. :wink:
Eric

Previous

Return to Barca Help and How-To