[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Synchronising desktop and laptop

Synchronising desktop and laptop

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Synchronising desktop and laptop

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Up to now I have all my Barca data on the desktop (including all my legacy data from Outlook). The desktop is my working machine when I am in my home office.

What is the best way to have my mails, contacts etc. available when I travel and use the laptop? I have installed Barca on the laptop, but not yet used it at all (except on the first day or two of the trial, when I downloaded a couple of mails from my ISP just to check that I could use the program on Vista).

Searching the forums, I found a couple of references to MyInfoToGo, but there seems to be a compatibility issue (at least for synchronising) with the latest versions of Barca/Pocomail, at least for some users. But the messages that I found were a year or two old, so the situation may have changed.

I don't have a direct network link between the desktop and laptop (I'm sure my router could handle it, but I have never managed to set it up - not that I have tried since I failed with the machines I had a few years ago). So the easiest method (if it works) would be to synchronise with a USB stick.

My OS is Vista Home Premium on both machines.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:39 am

See this thread:
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4082
particularly just this post:
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... 7817#27817

I personally just move whole Mail directory from one installation to the other, and move it back when I'm back home.

You could probably also use the backup and restore functionality available from File menu (on the desktop backup to a mobile drive or flash drive, on the notebook recover from that backup, and when you are back home, backup from notebook and recover on desktop).

I'm not 100% sure whether with both, but I would definitely recommend to have Attachments set to be kept inside of messages, and not to be extracted to the Attach directory (that can be set in options, encoding options). The only exception is if the data paths (eg. C:/Documents and Settings/User/Pocomail/Mail/) are exactly same on both computers including same drive number.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Synchronising desktop and laptop

Postby blakelyg » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:10 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:Up to now I have all my Barca data on the desktop (including all my legacy data from Outlook). The desktop is my working machine when I am in my home office.

What is the best way to have my mails, contacts etc. available when I travel and use the laptop? I have installed Barca on the laptop, but not yet used it at all (except on the first day or two of the trial, when I downloaded a couple of mails from my ISP just to check that I could use the program on Vista).

There is a wonderful freeware utility that will do just this (I know why not just copy and paste), called DSYNCHRONIZE and available at http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/index.html . Nice thing is that it is portable and supports realtime synch. Not sure if that will do the trick for you or not?
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Return to Barca Help and How-To