[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Appointments and Outlook

Appointments and Outlook

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Appointments and Outlook

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:45 am

I've tried exchanging appointments with my wife (who uses Exchange at work - yes, I know, it's sad that we have to arrange appointments over the e-mail...). Anyway, it works quite well but...

If I send her an appointment say from 9:15 to 10:15, when it is picked up by Outlook it is 10:15 to 11:15 - why is this? Does something extra need to be added to the info sent to Outlook to fix it otherwise we'll have to put the *real* times into the body of the appointment? When she sends one back the times come up OK in Barca.

And when she sent me a repeating appointment, Barca did not pick up the repeat at all when I accepted it. When I went and checked the Repeating characterisitics it was set to a count of 10, not the 6 that she had specified. Lastly - the appointment repeats do not show up until I close and restart Barca. Again, why is this and can it be fixed?
robin

Postby GHaavy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:12 am

If I were you, I would ask your wife to talk to her IT department; have Barca installed at work :wink:

- Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:01 am

I like the idea, and I'm sure that Slaven would like the business what with many tens of thousands of users across the world...
robin

Postby GHaavy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:55 am

$ :shock: $

+10,000 x $60 USD = $ :twisted:

LOL... Slaven would have to make you a full partner :wink:

- Grant

btw, sorry I'm waisting bandwidth.. I can't help you one little bit.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:22 am

:lol: We all need a little light relief once in a while.
robin

Postby Slaven » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:55 am

:)

The time difference could be down to daylight savings time being incorrectly set on one of the two computers?

I am not sure why the repeating appointments problem happens - if you could ask your wife to send one such test appointment to test at pocomail.com so that we can try reproducing it; this could help us diagnose the daylight savings problem too!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:55 am

GHaavy wrote:If I were you, I would ask your wife to talk to her IT department; have Barca installed at work :wink:

- Grant

I concur! Without any bias of course.
Jim

Postby robin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:25 am

Slaven wrote:I am not sure why the repeating appointments problem happens - if you could ask your wife to send one such test appointment to test at pocomail.com so that we can try reproducing it; this could help us diagnose the daylight savings problem too!
This will happen, Slaven, but business trips and leave are getting in the way at the moment.
robin

Postby COD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:44 am

I just had this problem - the other computer is in the same office so I was able to check. The system clock is correct on both computers, the appointment in Barca is for 1 PM, yet the invite in Outlook on the other PC is showing 2 PM. And when he accepted the invite, it plugged it into 2 PM on his calendar.

Also, the confirmation email I get back does not show a time at all.

Did the bug get squashed yet? If you need me to send a copy of the invite somewhere let me know

More: I had the appointment forwarded back to me - and it displays at the proper time in Barca, and in looking at the raw code it appears to have sent the proper time in the original invite.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:06 am

COD wrote:Did the bug get squashed yet? If you need me to send a copy of the invite somewhere let me know

More: I had the appointment forwarded back to me - and it displays at the proper time in Barca, and in looking at the raw code it appears to have sent the proper time in the original invite.

Does that not imply that the problem may be in Outlook?
Jim

Postby COD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:48 am

It is most likely an Outlook issue...for all I know Outlook does it on purpose to hamper interoperability with non MS software.

That said, most of us using Barca are going to interact electronically with Outlook users far more often than Barca users, so I would think it would behoove Pocosystems to at least attempt to work around it and get the appointment invites to function properly with Outlook.

This is what was sent as the time
DTSTART:20040830T180000Z
DTEND:20040830T190000Z

Vcal is based on GMT - I'm in the US Eastern Time Zone, which I believe is 5 hours offset from GMT. The appointment is at 1PM on my calender, so I think Barca sent the right time.

Anybody disagree with that?

Has anybody successfully sent an appointment to an Outlook user and had the time stick properly? If this *always* happens with Outlook, the solution might be as simple as a script that can offset the time by 1 hour in the outgoing email to Outlook users.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby wolffsed » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:17 am

COD wrote:It is most likely an Outlook issue...

It _is_ an Outlook issue! We do have this annoyance in our company even when using just Outlook clients. And we could not figure out the real reason... Even when daylight saving settings are definately correct it still happens on some machines - not on all...
Wolfgang
wolffsed
Poco Tourist

Postby mrgrieves » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:36 am

I have this problem too! If I send my g/f appointments (she is using Outlook 2000) it is always 1 hour out. If I send myself at work appointments (using Outlook 2003 - not sad, just so I have the appointment in 2 places, honest) it's the same.

Is this really Outlook not Barca? How about an option to correct for Outlook? (Sorry but I'm sure there are more Outlook users than Barca, even if there is no justice in this world...)
mrgrieves
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:39 am

I agree with that. The workaround that we use is to put the *proper* time into the body of the message.
robin

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:00 am

robin wrote:I agree with that. The workaround that we use is to put the *proper* time into the body of the message.

:)
Jim

Return to Barca Help and How-To