[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Attachment "winmail.dat"

Attachment "winmail.dat"

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Attachment "winmail.dat"

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:00 pm

A couple of times over the last couple of weeks I have received a mail with no content, but with the attachment "winmail.dat".
In both cases they were Christmas letters from friends. In the first case I told my friends about it, and they sent me .doc and .pdf attachments instead, which opened perfectly. The second case I received today, so I haven't yet seen an openable attachment.

I found an old posting about the same thing on the poco forums (4 years old), but it referred to a solution at a URL that is no longer active. It suggested that the problem occurs when a mail is sent with Outlook (which does apply to my 2 problem mails) with an attachment in Word.

However, in the course of my work I receive attachments in Word all the time, and there is normally no problem with them under Barca.

What could the problem be here, and how could I solve it?
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Re: Attachment "winmail.dat"

Postby blakelyg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Victor Dewsbery wrote:A couple of times over the last couple of weeks I have received a mail with no content, but with the attachment "winmail.dat".
In both cases they were Christmas letters from friends. In the first case I told my friends about it, and they sent me .doc and .pdf attachments instead, which opened perfectly. The second case I received today, so I haven't yet seen an openable attachment.

I found an old posting about the same thing on the poco forums (4 years old), but it referred to a solution at a URL that is no longer active. It suggested that the problem occurs when a mail is sent with Outlook (which does apply to my 2 problem mails) with an attachment in Word.

However, in the course of my work I receive attachments in Word all the time, and there is normally no problem with them under Barca.

Try this link to a program called WMdecode.zip which may help in reading the winmail.dat and extracting data. Note that this program is shareware.

http://www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/

or

Try this program Winmail.dat Reader for a freeware solution - found at
http://www.kopf.com.br/winmail/

Good luck.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Re: Attachment "winmail.dat"

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:39 am

Victor Dewsbery wrote:However, in the course of my work I receive attachments in Word all the time, and there is normally no problem with them under Barca.

You could however suggest the sender not to use Rich Text Format (RTF) for his/her mails.
Only Outlook will decode those attachments, not other email clients, so the only thing you'll get is that winmail.dat attachment.

It can be decoded through that suggested software, but it would be better if those senders wouldn't use that format.

See also What is WINMAIL.DAT attachment I sometimes receive?

It would eliminate that problem of being unable to read that attachment. :)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To