[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Use of contacts in Barca

Use of contacts in Barca

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Use of contacts in Barca

Postby cvweis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:54 am

Barca allows me to put all the information about contacts into it's address book. I cannot seem to have independant groups (ie, vendors, personal, locations, etc), without creating a new address book file.

Also, I cannot copy an entire contact's information onto an email or copy it to paste on any other program. Is there something I am missing or is this a limitation of using the contact info.

Will vcard support be added to send, receive, distribute, etc?
cvweis
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Use of contacts in Barca

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am

cvweis wrote:Barca allows me to put all the information about contacts into it's address book. I cannot seem to have independant groups (ie, vendors, personal, locations, etc), without creating a new address book file.
:roll: You don't have to create a new Address Book.
When inside Contacts left pane rightclick to make a new group. Using the Contacts (F5), tap NEW and choose Group from the dropdown list.
Adding a new contact to a group can simply be done by Drag & Drop.
Also, I cannot copy an entire contact's information onto an email or copy it to paste on any other program. Is there something I am missing or is this a limitation of using the contact info.
You're not missing anything. Only the name, email or both can be copied. (= same as Poco)
Maybe in a new build, only PSI knows.
Will vcard support be added to send, receive, distribute, etc?
Same answer as the previous one, sorry.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Creating Groups

Postby cvweis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:37 am

I think we are talking about two different kinds of groups. The groups I am wanting is for sorting contacts so that if I want to see a list of 'vendors' only I would click the Vendors group and only see those contacts which are my various vendors I use, and etc.

The groups I create in Barca, I still see the contacts outside of the group in the master list. Is there a way to stop that?

Also, maybe a way to define a mailing group list and just a group to organize various contacts.
cvweis
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Creating Groups

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:51 am

cvweis wrote:I think we are talking about two different kinds of groups.
You're correct. :wink:
The groups I am wanting is for sorting contacts so that if I want to see a list of 'vendors' only I would click the Vendors group and only see those contacts which are my various vendors I use, and etc.
Maybe not exactly what you want, but you could create another address book called 'Groups' for example.
First create your group 'Vendors' and drag every vendor to this group. When you're finished, just move the group to Groups address book.

Could also be used as a mailing list or did you've something different in mind?
Eric

Groups

Postby cvweis » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:37 am

That is why I am using multiple address books -My groups are only to sort contacts, not create mailing list groups.

I have over 100 vendors I work with, close to 440 locations, about 74 people in my personal contacts..

I love Barca, my whole department is using it. No LDAP to use our internal directory has been an issue, but for the address book, I keep using my Palm desktop program to find contacts quickly. I was hoping to get away from Palm desktop, but it may have to be the other way around.
cvweis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:00 am

I'm not sure if this is helpful to your question, cvweis, but in PocoMail (and maybe in Barca) I can select one or more non-group contacts, hold the Shift key, and drag them into a group. By holding the Shift key, the contacts are moved so that they only exist in the group, not as links to non-group contacts.

You can also use the Ctrl key to copy a contact into a group. And, as you've already discovered, the default is to just create a link (you know it's a link if it's in italics inside the group).

The upcoming v3.2 of PocoMail (not sure about Barca) will show all of these options in the right-click context menu, so that should make this easier.
Pete

Return to Barca Help and How-To