[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Exporting and re-importing revisited

Exporting and re-importing revisited

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Exporting and re-importing revisited

Postby alanstancliff » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi all (Eric?)

Well, I installed Barca on my other, new computer and imported my accounts as discussed in this thread. It worked well.

Now I have another question.

On my old computer, I have an installation of Barca that is, quite frankly, wonky. I installed it years ago, several updates or upgrades before, and as time has gone by, little quirks have come up. I have used work-arounds, but I really like the fresh installation on my new computer.

Rather than reinstalling it over the old installation on my old computer, can I just install it into a fresh directory? The help file seems to indicate this is possible.

Here's my plan:
  1. I would back up my old installation and files, which are actually saved in "My Documents\BarcaMail."
  2. Then I'd rename it "My Documents\BarcaMail_old."
  3. Then I'd create a new directory called "My Documents\BarcaMail." That would, of course, be empty.
  4. My old installation is in "C:\Program Files\Barca2." I leave that installation alone.
  5. I then install the fresh Barca in C:\Program Files\Barca2_5."
  6. I then attempt to import via "File/Import/Data From Another Install"

Does this sound like a plan? Would I be importing the wonkiness of my old installation?

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Re: Exporting and re-importing revisited

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Alan,
alanstancliff wrote:Does this sound like a plan? Would I be importing the wonkiness of my old installation?
Not a lot of time, but it sounds like a sound plan. :)
You don't have to create another directory since the installation will create one, although it won't hurt.

Prior to making a backup it would be best to clean junk and compress your folders.

If you don't want to import problems, it would be best to ignore Program preferences and Settings.

Let me know how it goes and do have a fine weekend. ;)
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Eric,

Yes, it seems to have worked out well.

Two little things that I need to figure out:
  1. Right now, on my fresh install, that little help-on-the-fly dialog pops up. I can see how it would be handy when I need it, but when it just appears unbidden, it is mildly irritating.
  2. Also, when I receive email and hover my mouse over it for the preview, after about 1 or 2 seconds, it is marked as read. I'd like it to remain marked unread until I actually open it.
Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi again Alan,
alanstancliff wrote:Yes, it seems to have worked out well.
Told you so.
Two little things that I need to figure out:
Right now, on my fresh install, that little help-on-the-fly dialog pops up. I can see how it would be handy when I need it, but when it just appears unbidden, it is mildly irritating.
Press Alt+F1 to deactivate or go to Help.
Also, when I receive email and hover my mouse over it for the preview, after about 1 or 2 seconds, it is marked as read. I'd like it to remain marked unread until I actually open it.
Like that too to leave those unread.
Go to Tools > Options > Reading Mail and uncheck to Mark messages after x seconds. :)
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks Eric,

As has been my experience over the years, you have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 am

My pleasure Alan. ;)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To