[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Drag / Drop out of "In" box

Drag / Drop out of "In" box

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Drag / Drop out of "In" box

Postby skinsch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi! I'm new to the Barca Pro client and I really like it so far... It's definitely going to give Outlook users a place to switch to.

Anyway, I just have a couple of quick questions.

1) What's the Best Practice when using the "In" box... I'm using an IMAP server and imported everything from Outlook. The Outlook import created a bunch of folders under the In, Out, Sent, etc.. I'm now assuming those are acting like my Outlook Personal folder use to.. correct?

2) When I make changes to the message in my "In" box (where messages are being delivered) they don't seem to sync those changes with the Online Folder "INBOX". If they don't sync, why use the "In" box and not just use the IMAP Inbox?

Thanks!
Shane
skinsch
New Arrival

Postby CyberRanger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:30 pm

I found how well Barca behaves quite often depends on how well set up your IMAP server is. My couple of experiences w/ IMAP weren't so great, but I found it was a server issue, not Barca b/c it wasn't any better w/ a different client than it was w/ Barca. If things don't work just right, it isn't necessarily Barca that is the problem.
Vista Home Basic SP1, 32-bit, Compaq Presario V6000, Turion MK-36, 958 Mb mem, 80 Gb HD,NVidia GeForce Go 6150, Norton 360 2.0, Firefox 3.0.3, Opera 9.62, Barca Pro 2.5.0.3910.
CyberRanger
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Drag / Drop out of "In" box

Postby Tomas » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 am

skinsch wrote:1) What's the Best Practice when using the "In" box... I'm using an IMAP server and imported everything from Outlook. The Outlook import created a bunch of folders under the In, Out, Sent, etc.. I'm now assuming those are acting like my Outlook Personal folder use to.. correct?

Yes, they are like the personal folders - stored locally.

2) When I make changes to the message in my "In" box (where messages are being delivered) they don't seem to sync those changes with the Online Folder "INBOX". If they don't sync, why use the "In" box and not just use the IMAP Inbox?

If you only wish to use IMAP, disable the automatic message downloading and don't use the Check button to check for new email, just the Online Folders.

Using both makes sense for people who mostly operate from local folders, and only occasionally for some reason use the Online Folders, or who use Online Folders to pre-check the messages and after processing them online they download only the "keepers" to local folders.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby skinsch » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 am

Tomas wrote:If you only wish to use IMAP, disable the automatic message downloading and don't use the Check button to check for new email, just the Online Folders.

Ok, so I uncheck the Automatic email check? Tools->Account Setup->Edit -> Incoming and uncheck the "Check for new mail every.." option? Will the Online folders keep in constant server contact then? Will rules/filters also be applied as well when new mail arrives?

Thanks again!
shane
skinsch
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 am

You are welcome!
skinsch wrote:Ok, so I uncheck the Automatic email check? Tools->Account Setup->Edit -> Incoming and uncheck the "Check for new mail every.." option?

Yes, an alternative and faster way would be Tools > Account Setup, there highlight the account and in Quick Links to the bottom right of that window untick both Check Mail and Timed Check Options.

Will the Online folders keep in constant server contact then?

Constant server contact will be achieved by having Barca in an online mode (through menu File > Online Operation, that menu items shall have a checkmark if enabled), and next in account settings, Incoming tab, you might want to have the Sync Index Automatically enabled.

Will rules/filters also be applied as well when new mail arrives?

No I'm sorry unfortunately filters only work with messages downloaded or sent. They don't work with IMAP/Online Folders in this version of Barca.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Barca Help and How-To