[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Empty Barca Folders! [Resolved: Virtumonde infection]

Empty Barca Folders! [Resolved: Virtumonde infection]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby jayno » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 am

Hi Eric

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean? Do I need to change something in Directories?

Jayno

ps: it looks exactly the same in b2.5 directories and b2.8directories
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:24 pm

jayno wrote:Sorry, I don't understand what you mean? Do I need to change something in Directories?
You don't need to change anything.
As you posted that directory contains only the default mailboxes and files, so it's normal that you don't see other mail.
ps: it looks exactly the same in b2.5 directories and b2.8directories
Not quite, as posted above 2.5 doesn't contain anything.
2.8 on the other hand contains your mail and other files, after you moved everything there from your backup. :)

As suggested I don't like to put mail and other files into Program Files. If you moved these directories to another partition, it would be more secure in case something happens to your C:. :)

That's all. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Hello Eric

Cross your fingers! I have finally got a version of Barca pro 2.8 fully populated with all my email accounts (working properly), contacts, and email folders (with all my email history to date).

The last bit of work I had to do was get my email accounts working properly. I don't know how it worked but I managed to do this by working with my original Barca 2.5 located on my C Drive - switching my Eset AV and Firewall off and then on again. This somehow triggered all the accounts to work properly (though it didn't work when I tried the same thing with my Barca 2.8 version). I then made sure I backed up the Accounts config file to my Barca 2.5 backup folder on the F Drive.

I also did some final checking and cross checking of the details of all versions of the accounts, configs and mail files in the different version folders, making sure I had all the correct ones in the F Drive Barca 2.5 backup folder. Then I opened the Barca pro 2.8 version that I have been trying to get working properly for weeks and did a fresh import from the barca.ini of this 2.5 backup folder. I've only used it for the last half an hour but it looks perfect and all the mail sends and receives I've run to test each account have worked as they should do. It looks like Success at last!

I have one last issue to seek your help on: the Barca pro 2.8 is showing as a trial version that I need to buy?! I thought it was a free upgrade to me as an existing owner? Presumably I have caused this to happen by downloading from the poco site rather than directly from an update procedure within my Barca 2.5 version? I thought that's what I did originally, but to be honest, I've done so much deleting and downloading and changing I can't remember anymore how I arrived at where I am now!

Do you know if there is a way for me to convert this 2.8 version from a trial version to my owned one without me having to do a new purchase?

Jayno :D
Jayno
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi again John,
jayno wrote:Cross your fingers! I have finally got a version of Barca pro 2.8 fully populated with all my email accounts (working properly), contacts, and email folders (with all my email history to date).
You've done a great job getting it working again. A lot of work to sort it out. :?
The last bit of work I had to do was get my email accounts working properly. I don't know how it worked but I managed to do this by working with my original Barca 2.5 located on my C Drive - switching my Eset AV and Firewall off and then on again. This somehow triggered all the accounts to work properly (though it didn't work when I tried the same thing with my Barca 2.8 version). I then made sure I backed up the Accounts config file to my Barca 2.5 backup folder on the F Drive.
Strange :?: , but glad at the same time that this procedure somehow fixed your accounts.
I've only used it for the last half an hour but it looks perfect and all the mail sends and receives I've run to test each account have worked as they should do. It looks like Success at last!
Indeed, it seems to be finally working. :D
I have one last issue to seek your help on: the Barca pro 2.8 is showing as a trial version that I need to buy?! I thought it was a free upgrade to me as an existing owner? Presumably I have caused this to happen by downloading from the poco site rather than directly from an update procedure within my Barca 2.5 version? I thought that's what I did originally, but to be honest, I've done so much deleting and downloading and changing I can't remember anymore how I arrived at where I am now!
The download site shouldn't be the problem.
With every new version you'll have to re-enter your license key. The same applies to 2.8, since that license key won't get transferred when importing from a previous version.
Do you know if there is a way for me to convert this 2.8 version from a trial version to my owned one without me having to do a new purchase?
Simple enough, just enter your license key into 2.8. :)
If not, open your 2.5 version and copy it from there.
You could also find your 2.5 license key in your registry.

No need to purchase anything, since your license key will work with all 2.x versions.
You'll only have to pay an upgrade price for the 3.x version.

:idea: In case you need to store your passwords and other data (like license keys), I recommend the free KeePass Password Safe. I myself use Password Depot which can be used for free, but you only can enter 20 records.
Eric

Postby jayno » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:40 am

Hi Eric

A quick note to let you know that I am now running a fully functional, fully up-to-date, and backed-up, Barca Pro 2.8 (with licence!) as my sole email client.

All other copies have been deleted, though I have kept one copy of Barca 2.5 in an "Old Barca" folder, as it has my original Barca 2.1 licence and exe file in it, which I found that I needed to solve everything. I had to return to the 2.1 version and rebuild through to 2.8 to get to my final objective.

Yet again, I want to thank you for your patience and support. I would have been lost without it. This task has been a challenge for me, but I've learned a lot about Barca in the process, and I've enjoyed our exchanges.

Jayno

ps: I think there is an upgrade version of your safe password software that allows more than 20 items :wink:
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:31 am

jayno wrote:A quick note to let you know that I am now running a fully functional, fully up-to-date, and backed-up, Barca Pro 2.8 (with licence!) as my sole email client.
Thanks for letting me know. That's great news indeed.Image
All other copies have been deleted, though I have kept one copy of Barca 2.5 in an "Old Barca" folder, as it has my original Barca 2.1 licence and exe file in it, which I found that I needed to solve everything. I had to return to the 2.1 version and rebuild through to 2.8 to get to my final objective.
No problem to keep 2.5 on your system, as long as you don't mix up with it. :lol:
Yet again, I want to thank you for your patience and support. I would have been lost without it. This task has been a challenge for me, but I've learned a lot about Barca in the process, and I've enjoyed our exchanges.
The pleasure is all mine to help a fellow user. I'm glad you learned the ins and out about Barca along the way. Same as you I enjoyed our exchanges and that's what it's all about. :)
ps: I think there is an upgrade version of your safe password software that allows more than 20 items :wink:
What :?: I'll have a look later on, although I've the payed version, so I don't have to worry about restrictions on input. 8)

Some info to prevent this for the future:

- I always recommend putting a router between your computer and the internet, since that gives more protection.
- Don't rely solely on your antivirus, since malware changes regularly (= variants). Even heuristics can make mistakes.
If your antivirus, anti-spyware finds something, put it in quarantine and look it up on the internet.
False positives do occur and can give you a lot of trouble afterwards.
- Make sure you've applied all Microsoft patches and keep software which connects to the internet up-to-date.
- Don't use the windows firewall, but instead use one which controls incoming and outgoing. Online Armor, PC Tools, Webroot, PrivateFirewall and Comodo are some free ones you can use.
Only use 1 firewall, so make sure your Windows firewall is de-activated within the Security Center and in Services too.
- Apply a layered protection, so if one layer is breached, it can be picked up by another.
ex. I use a wireless router, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, SUPERAntispyware, Malware Defender (HIPS)
Through SandBoxie all browsers are sandboxed when starting up, so whenever I close a browser, all is flushed.
Some use Returnil Virtual Systems together with SandBoxie, but that's personal preference.

On my netbook I've Online Armor (paid), Avast Home, Prevx, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.
- Always be careful to download software, files from a trusted source. If you don't know, look it up or ask about it.
The same applies to emails you may receive, as well as attachments. Always be careful.

You'll never achieve 100% protection, but you'll get pretty close.
Stay safe, surf safe.

Have a nice weekend John & till next time. :wink:

P.S.: Marking this topic for resolved.
Eric

Previous

Return to Barca Help and How-To