[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - HTML Emails

HTML Emails

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

HTML Emails

Postby gavinjb » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 am

Hi,

Not sure if I can make a config change somewhere in Barca, but I have nticed that certain EMails are failing to load all the images in the Emails, for example I got an email from amazon UK for an order earlier and I got all the images loaded apart from the Amazon Logo, but if I select to load the email into my browser I get everything fine.

I know there is the issue with Spam messages and this can be the reason for stopping images downloading, but it seems strange that only some images in some emails dont display and I am not to woried about spam as I get on average about 2 junk messages a month.

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb
Frequent Visitor

Postby Cloudy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 pm

From what I understand the curent "engine" used by Barca (guess that's the curent PocoMail engine) doesn't support HTML Messages correctly.

There should be work on a newer and better engine that does support HTML formatted emails but at the moment I think nobody know when this new engine will be ready or released.

I noticed the same behavior and sometimes a message is displayed correctly and then another message from the same newsletter is not displayed correctly.

Anyway this seems to be a problem for many users so I hope they will fix this ASAP and release an update to Barca/PocoMail (doesn't need to be a full upgrade like Barca3 or PocoMail5 if they are not at that point).
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby gavinjb » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15 pm

thanks for the info.
gavinjb
Frequent Visitor

Postby HalfFull » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:41 am

I check in from time to time to check if the developer has fixed the forward/reply to email HTML formatting issue....I stopped using Barca for that reason a couple of years ago.

I'll come back in a minute once they get it fixed!
HalfFull
Drop-in Visitor

HTML recognition problems getting worse

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 am

Today I have had several HTML messages that fail to display. What was once an occasional problem is now becoming a regular pain in the elbow.

Could there be a setting somewhere that has gone wrong?
In my early days as a user I complained about the way commands and settings are spread about in a dozen different places, so if something goes wrong there is a good chance that you won't find the needle, however much you rummage around in the haystack.

And as "HalfFull" says, the complete failure of forward/reply to HTML mails is about as useful as a broken leg.

Counting my pennies to see when I can afford the latest version of the MS monster, and wondering if anyone here will give me a reason not to.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 am

Online images not displayed correctly could have these reasons:

- corrupted images - extremely rare case

- firewall blocking image download

- images located on https:// instead of http:// - Barca can't download from https:// links. For some reason usage of https in various newsletters appeared recently and seems to be growing.

Today I have had several HTML messages that fail to display.

I replied to this through helpdesk, for the sake of this discussion, this particular case is due to Ignore HTML being enabled.
Usually with Ignore HTML, Barca can still extract plain text from the message and display it, but there are cases of some more complex (or misformatted) html messages where the text is not extracted and everything is ignored.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 am

Thanks for the help through helpdesk and the explanations here.

Somehow, "Ignore HTML" got turned on some time during the last couple of days (I have no idea how). There are a number of regular HTML newsletters that I can normally read, including images, and today I could read none of them until I found out how to turn "Ignore HTML" off again.

There are still some issues with HTML messages (lost formatting and sometimes lost content on reply/forward, no ability to scale the HTML content if it is too small to read comfortably, no ability to word wrap if the lines are too long to fit on the screen). But at least I have now got the rudimentary ability to see HTML content back.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To