[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Windows 7 compatability issue ...

Windows 7 compatability issue ...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby maxicomm » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:53 am

Greetings,

Perhaps someone can throw some light onto what is fast becoming a severe annoyance rather than an 'issue' ?!

Was running current version of Barca Pro on my old machine OK under Windows XP. Machine expired as in died, so I got a new PC with bells'n'whistles etc but it came with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) :-(

Anyway, started to install all my old software including Barca Pro (v 2.8.0.4400) and all looked OK.

Now, have a really niggly problem with Barca now, in as much as in the folder pane on the left, the scroll bar goes transparent and shows whatever is under the Barca window ... be it another prog window or the desktop !!!!!!!!

Tried a re-install but get the same problem ! ... so to illustrate the error I've taken a screen grab ... and I've highlighted the transparency inside a red outlined box ... see below ...

Anyone care to offer a 'fix' ????????????????
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi, that looks really strange. I can't offer a "fix" because I would suggest that needs programming input. But I use Poco (same core mail engine) on Win 7 Pro 64-bit and I don't see that so don't think that it is a widely spread problem under Win 7.

My guess would be something to do with the video driver that is effected by that implementation of the scroll bars - do you have the latest video drivers installed?

Does it happen with all scroll bars in that part of Barca? Any other scroll bars? Is there a difference if you run it under XP compatability mode?

If it really gets to you then you could consider running Barca inside a Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: corrected typo
Last edited by robin on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
robin

Re: Windows 7 compatability issue ...

Postby blakelyg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:12 am

maxicomm wrote:Greetings,

Perhaps someone can throw some light onto what is fast becoming a severe annoyance rather than an 'issue' ?!

Was running current version of Barca Pro on my old machine OK under Windows XP. Machine expired as in died, so I got a new PC with bells'n'whistles etc but it came with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) :-(

Anyway, started to install all my old software including Barca Pro (v 2.8.0.4400) and all looked OK.

Now, have a really niggly problem with Barca now, in as much as in the folder pane on the left, the scroll bar goes transparent and shows whatever is under the Barca window ... be it another prog window or the desktop !!!!!!!!

Tried a re-install but get the same problem ! ... so to illustrate the error I've taken a screen grab ... and I've highlighted the transparency inside a red outlined box ... see below ...

Anyone care to offer a 'fix' ????????????????

Question here. Are you running in XP Compatibility mode and have you disabled the Visual Themes and Scaling (right click on the shortcut select properties and then hit the compatibility tab). I found with Pocomail (and MITG) there were similar problems and by correcting those items improved the display.

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby maxicomm » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:17 am

Well, as I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, I can't, "...run Barca inside a Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode ..." as it's not available to my version of 7.

As far as the other scroll bars go, then no ... only the one scroll bar is affected.

I've switched the prog to run, "under XP compatability mode" without making any difference and I've also checked to make sure that the graphics drive is the latest available which it is.

Have also, "disabled the Visual Themes and Scaling", as suggested without any improvements.

Spoke with the support people at 'eMachines' (Acer) (model: ET1831) who confirmed that all the drivers are up to date and who also suspect that there is an incompatability/Windows 7 shortcoming within the Barca programming.
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

As I suspected ...

Postby maxicomm » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 am

Greetings,

Demonstrated the display 'problem' to a friend who is a professional programmer and he is also of the optinion that this is a Barca/Windows 7 compatibilty issue, with the most likely culprit being the coding in the Barca program itself as it is only one scroll bar that is affected and only in the Barca Pro program.

If it were a Windows 7 problem or a graphic card/driver issue, then it would affect, in all likelihood, all or many scroll bars in a variety of programs. As it's only one scroll bar in one program, then I guess the weight of evidnece is conclusive.

Yet ANOTHER Barca Pro 'short coming' that needs addressing ... alas !
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:54 am

I have added it to the bug lists. Though not sure if it will be easily replicable and fixable, there were no other reports of this problem so far.

While it's easily a Barca bug by most part, bug in the graphics card driver can't be excluded either - graphics card drives are notoriously known for being a source of many problems in general where next update, or rollback to previous version, often fixes the problem.

Thank you for all the details, particularly for the machine model!
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby pairofhearts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Do you have Transparency enabled in Windows 7? Barca working fine on Windows 7 Ultimate on both PC & Laptop.
.........and make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle
pairofhearts
Resident Poster

Postby maxicomm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 pm

pairofhearts wrote:Do you have Transparency enabled in Windows 7? Barca working fine on Windows 7 Ultimate on both PC & Laptop.

Nope ! ... transparency is NOT enabled as I'm running Windows Classic Theme.
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby blakelyg » Sat May 01, 2010 1:12 am

maxicomm wrote:Well, as I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, I can't, "...run Barca inside a Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode ..." as it's not available to my version of 7.

As far as the other scroll bars go, then no ... only the one scroll bar is affected.

I've switched the prog to run, "under XP compatability mode" without making any difference and I've also checked to make sure that the graphics drive is the latest available which it is.

Have also, "disabled the Visual Themes and Scaling", as suggested without any improvements.

Spoke with the support people at 'eMachines' (Acer) (model: ET1831) who confirmed that all the drivers are up to date and who also suspect that there is an incompatability/Windows 7 shortcoming within the Barca programming.

One last thing to try. Go to your Windows 7 themes and (under personalize) and select the Windows Classic Theme. Then see if that helps. (My require a restart but do not think so)
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby maxicomm » Sat May 01, 2010 7:25 am

blakelyg wrote:
maxicomm wrote:Well, as I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, I can't, "...run Barca inside a Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode ..." as it's not available to my version of 7.

One last thing to try. Go to your Windows 7 themes and (under personalize) and select the Windows Classic Theme. Then see if that helps. (My require a restart but do not think so)

That was the FIRST thing I did ;-)

O T T
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby cussuol » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 am

Same problem here.
Sometimes that scollbar became black.
Windows 7 professional x64.
Video ATI Radeon, last driver version.
cussuol
Drop-in Visitor

Postby bchirgwin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I had this problem it keeps happening.

To fix it display the contacts view in the left panel. Exit and restart pocomail.
When restarted display folders instead of contacts on the left.

It keeps happening so it is a bug in the incompatibility of Pocomail with Windows 7 and not Windows 7 driver issue.

I have not yet determined what in the poco.ini is being corrupted, but something is.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To