[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Newsgroup Questions

Newsgroup Questions

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Newsgroup Questions

Postby jbn10161 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:05 am

1. How does one mark a newsgroup thread or author for watching or killing in Barca?

2. Once a set of headers has been downloaded and desired postings have been read, what does a user do? Marking the headers as read and closing the mailbox does not remove them. Should they be selected and deleted?
jbn10161
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:33 am

To answer 2) - If you select and delete them, then if they are still on the server they will come back. The best bet is simply to leave them there and purge then once in a while. If you don't want to see the unread ones then set the "Show..." bar at the top of the index pane to only show unread posts.

If you can't see it, check in Tools -> Options -> Interface Options that you have checked "Show mailbox Show Only bar"

Not sure what you mean by 1) - what are you wanting to do?
robin

Watching/Killing

Postby jbn10161 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:21 pm

I found part of what I was looking for, and I think Barca probably does not do the other.

Good newsreaders allow the user to score threads or authors. High scores get watched, i.e., highlighted or otherwise marked. Barca's version of this seems to be following a thread. Low scores can lead to an author's posts going into the "plonk file," i.e., killed or not shown. In the wild and wooly Usenet, that's a good option. If Barca has that, I haven't found it yet.
jbn10161
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:46 pm

No, Barca (and PocoMail) were never intended to be newsreaders so it doesn't have the functionality of some of the more sophisticated ones. Given the level of use that feature has compared to some of the other areas that PSI are being beaten over the head on, don't expect any improvements soon.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To