[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Auto-Delete Old Emails from a Folder

Auto-Delete Old Emails from a Folder

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Auto-Delete Old Emails from a Folder

Postby dvergin » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:11 pm

I have several folders containing a steadily accumulating number of emails (admin notices from a server I work with).

After a couple of weeks these emails lose their value. So I would like each of these folders to regularly auto-delete items older than some time-span (e.g. two weeks) so the folders don't get too big. I got used to this capability with Outlook some years ago and then wrote system scripts to do this more recently during a several-year time using Linux.

Now I'm back on Windows and delighted to have discovered Barca.

Does Barca provide a way to do this from the GUI options? I can't find such a capability.

Is this scriptable using Barca's scripting capabilities? I.e. can Barca scripts auto-run at some regular time (daily, at start-up, at shut-down, etc.)? And can they delete files by date? Either way, I'd like to look at the docs on scripting? I found the "PocoScript Help and How-To" forum. But could not locate the basic docs.

If I end up writing a system script (probably in Perl) to do this when Barca is not running, will Barca get indigestion when it finds that some_mbox.mbx has been changed since Barca last used it? Do I need to delete all the other files (some_mbox.idx, some_mbox.dat, some_mbox.~idx, some_mbox.~mbx) to force Barca to re-index things cleanly on start-up?

TIA
David
dvergin
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:15 am

There is no "simple" method of doing it. There is a thread here that might be of use to you.

Alternatively use the index pane "show" bar to show all messages older than a certain date, Ctrl-A to select them and then delete.

Edit Eric: removed invalid link
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To