[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Problem sending attachment when using dial-up connection

Problem sending attachment when using dial-up connection

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Problem sending attachment when using dial-up connection

Postby paulheu » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:19 pm

There is a definite problem with Barca not sending attachments.

It happens often attachments are sent but when you resend it is. so it's not a viruschecker thing or anything (in fact, the same happens when I disable VC)..

The only thing I can come up with is that there is a problem with dialup connections which disconnect directly after sending a message. I will disable that and see what happens, but that is the only other thing I have nottried yet..

Or anyone else having any ideas??

Title edited by moderator
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby COD » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:06 am

I've never seen this problem in 3 odd years of using Pocomail.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby paulheu » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:59 am

I send at least 10-15 attachments a day, this ONLY happens when I set Barca to disconnect straight after finishing sending mail (on a dial up line)..

If I have a connection open or have Barca not drop the line I have no problems with this (yet)

So unless you are or have been on a dial up line with Barca (I cannot speak for PocoMail) you should not experience this problem.

And it is a problem as I currently have to BCC everything to a second address to check if the attachment is actually sent.. this is a major PITA and to be honest will most likely mean I will not be using Barca anymore until I see this improve/fixed..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby COD » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:43 am

Try this as a workaround...queue your messages and make sure the last message does not have an attachment - just make it a blank message to yourself. If it is Barca sending the disconnect command before sending the attachement - this should fix it. I think it could also be a dial up networking problem, but either way - seems like a simple workaround that should solve it.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby paulheu » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:16 am

that's a good idea to at least try and pin this one down.. although it's still somewhat clunky..
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby paulheu » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:25 pm

I did some more testing and the problem does in fact only appear when the line is disconnected directly after sending a message with attachment, if I sent a message without attachment after that or leave the line open I have no problem at all.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:34 am

If I were to guess, I'd guess that maybe there's a piece of software (anti-virus?) that performs "outgoing email virus scanning" and, perhaps especially with larger attachments, the anti-virus scanner doesn't have time to finish its work before Barca closes the internet connection.
Pete

Postby paulheu » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:25 am

nope, turned that one off (at least happend with the scanner both on a and off)..

The only way I have found taht will always do a successful send of attachments is to not have barca drop the line when it's done..
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:33 pm

Paul - what is the outgoing mail (SMTP) server address in Barca (the one provided by your ISP, or that you otherwise use for outgoing mail)? If you have several can you post the addresses that you have for all of them?
robin

Postby paulheu » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:14 am

my main smtp server is smtp.xs4all.nl

I have been using that address for many, many years and never have had any problems when I was on dial up at home. I also have no problems using outlook express on the same isp (and dial up).. It's just with barca that the problem pops up.

I also tried my site/mail hosting smtp server(mail.audioamsterdam.nl for company, mail.paulgeluid.nl for private) but get the same problem..
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To