[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pegasus users?

Pegasus users?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pegasus users?

Postby SMichaelH » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:22 am

I've been a happy Pegasus Mail user for many years. I've also been looking for a good PIM - I've been using Sidekick for many years but see the advantages of an all-in-one Outlook type of app and, after several exhaustive searches, Barca seems to be closest without actually using Outlook. What's kept me from jumping right into Barca or any other app for that matter is giving up Pegasus. I'm very used to it and don't look forward to migrating 14,000 messages in 160+ folders. I also love Pegasus' "identities" that let me assume a different, well, identity when sending, i.e webmaster for several different organizations one having half a dozen identities (Membership Committee, Communications, Benefits Committee, Conference Committee, etc) and also several personal identities for myself and family. Recipients would see mail as coming from these entities - very handy.

Can Barca do that?

I also will miss the old fashioned layout of Pegasus - on my screen I see several compact windows, Address Book and Distribution Lists (where the identities come into play), Folders and the New Mail folder where any mail not filtered to folders ends up. The 160+ folders are hierarchical and easily accessed. Unread mail has a colored header. If I need to, I can mark read mail as unread and the entire folder will change color to remind me there is an unread message lurking in that folder - probably the handiest single aspect of Pegasus. I haven't seen any way to have Barca do that - only marking the specific message. I don't want to spend time going through folders to see if there are any marked messages.

Barca seems to have a much better spam filtering process. The Notes part seems pretty feeble though - the main reason I've been looking for another PIM. doOrganizer has caught my attention but seems unstable.

Anyway, my question is are there any ex-Pegasus users who also used a powerful PIM out there who are happy to have migrated to Barca and how did you manage it?

Thanks,
M Hamilton
P.S. I will also miss Sidekicks great printing - contacts easily printed to labels with no waste at all. There is a great opportunity out there for a killer app that will do everything I need!
SMichaelH
New Arrival

Re: Pegasus users?

Postby robin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:57 am

SMichaelH wrote:I also love Pegasus' "identities" that let me assume a different, well, identity when sending, i.e webmaster for several different organizations one having half a dozen identities (Membership Committee, Communications, Benefits Committee, Conference Committee, etc) and also several personal identities for myself and family. Recipients would see mail as coming from these entities - very handy.

Can Barca do that?
Assuming you want to retain access to all the e-mails from all identities then Barca lets you set up different accounts which can be independently selected when you compose a message. Depending on how you set it up, each account can get mail addressed to a different address either from the same mailbox or from different mailboxes.

For different members of the family where you might want to keep the messages separate then Barca offers Users - each can be selected at logon but does not see the others' messages. We use it here very effectively.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To