[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Newsgroups

Newsgroups

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Newsgroups

Postby DrJon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:03 am

Just added some newsgroups to Barca and have found the following:

On first adding the account, I click refresh to get a list of newsgroups. A pop up window "Fteching List" appears to show progress of list download. However, it reads 0 for 15 seconds and then jumps to 20000 when the newsgroups have finished.

Unfortunately this window doesn't dissappear and clicking Cancel on it has no effect. You CAN now select newsgroups in the account setup and closing the account setup kills the fetching list window.

The newsgroup reading itself seems to work well though some more explanation of the features in the help file would be useful!

What is annoying is that if I want to add another newsgroup, I have to refresh the list again as Barca doesn't seem to remember the list of unsubscribed groups.

Jon.
DrJon
Poco Tourist

Postby huntnyc » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:11 am

What I cannot figure out in the Newsgroups is how do we refresh a newsgroup folder so we don't see the messages marked as read and we only see new unread downloaded headers? With Outlook Express, I just told it to hide read or ignored messages and hit refresh to download new headers. A better help file on these things is needed.

Gary
huntnyc

Postby robin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:43 am

Hi DrJon and huntnyc.

You have to understand that newsgroups are not a core part of PocoMail or Barca's functionality therefore it is not a slick as other NG readers (OE or Thunderbird come to mind).

To answer your specific queries...

DrJon wrote:What is annoying is that if I want to add another newsgroup, I have to refresh the list again as Barca doesn't seem to remember the list of unsubscribed groups.
If you know the name of the newsgroup then you can simply type into the box, followed by the ^ button - you do not have to refresh the list each time.

huntnyc wrote:What I cannot figure out in the Newsgroups is how do we refresh a newsgroup folder so we don't see the messages marked as read and we only see new unread downloaded headers? With Outlook Express, I just told it to hide read or ignored messages and hit refresh to download new headers. A better help file on these things is needed.
This is a two stage process. In Options > Interface Options you need to enable "Show mailbox Show Only bar". This then appears at the top of the index - in dark grey on slightly lighter grey. Click on it and choose "Show only unread mail". The index heading turns yellow to let you know that you have a filter on.
robin

Postby JayEm » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:10 am

also if it's not a part of it: too big newsgroups will cause a crash in barca. better remove that function than being buggy!
JayEm
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To