[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - New user looking for some info

New user looking for some info

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

New user looking for some info

Postby nickdutton » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:14 am

Hello

Not sure if I'm missing the obvious, but I can't find answers to the following anywhere:

1. Filters allow me leave a message on the server, but can I delete them explicitly?

2. Can I set a filter to mark a message as read? (bulk mail etc.)

3. When displaying inline attachments, barca shows the plain-text ahead of html. Can I change this?

4. What *is* special about Special Mailboxes?

5. Can barca wrap plain text when reading mail?

6. Is there some other Barca resource that I've overlooked?

TIA

--
Nick.
nickdutton
Drop-in Visitor

Re: New user looking for some info

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:03 am

Hi Nick & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
nickdutton wrote:Not sure if I'm missing the obvious, but I can't find answers to the following anywhere:
1. Filters allow me leave a message on the server, but can I delete them explicitly?
Just create a pre-download filter to delete for a certain email adress/domain/subject/... Upon next mailcheck these messages will be automatically deleted.
Yes, you can setup a script to mark messages as read or you can assign a script to a user button.
3. When displaying inline attachments, barca shows the plain-text ahead of html. Can I change this?
:roll: Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.
4. What *is* special about Special Mailboxes?
Take a look at this topic and this one.
5. Can barca wrap plain text when reading mail?
Yes, take a look under Options (F7). Sorry, not at home for the moment, so I can't consult it. :?
6. Is there some other Barca resource that I've overlooked?
Please read/search the Poco/Barca section as well as the Script & Extras section! There's already a lot of information which will certainly answer a lot of your questions.

I hope this helps. :wink:

Edit: removing incorrect information - thanks Michael for the follow-up :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Re: New user looking for some info

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:41 am

nickdutton wrote:Hello

Not sure if I'm missing the obvious, but I can't find answers to the following anywhere:

Eric answered your other questions, I'll simply clarify this one since he wasn't at his system to look. There is no builtin filter action to mark a message as read, this can still be done though through the use of a simple script. Here's the one I use:
{ This script marks an incomming message as being read.
{ Modifications:
{ 17Aug2003 - M.Motek
{ - Updated to work with either Poco 2 or Poco 3.

Set $Header "X-Poco-Status"
If #PocoVersion > 1600 Then PerformAction
Set $Header "Status"
:PerformAction
DeleteHeader $Header %message
AddHeader %message $Header R

Use the filter criteria to determine whether or not the message is one you want automatically marked and then assign an action of Run Script. If you are also moving the message to another mailbox then put the run script action before the move action. (Move actions are terminal, they move the message out of the main path suppressing further actions on it).
Michael

Postby nickdutton » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:30 am

Thanks for the speedy replies. Looks as if the answer to lots of my requirements will be pocoscript!

I'm still stuck on:

3. Inline attachments

When a mail program such as OLE sends mail, it sends it as two attachments: text/plain and text/html.

I have Barca set up to "Show Supported Attachments Inline"
Generally if there's html I'd like to read that, but Barca shows me the plain text first meaning that I have to scroll down to get to the formatted message. Have a look at some OLE mails...

5. wrapping plain text when reading

Had a look in the Options, but could only find settings for *sending* mail.

Ta,

N.
nickdutton
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:54 am

nickdutton wrote:Thanks for the speedy replies.
You're welcome. :wink:
I'm still stuck on:
3. Inline attachments
When a mail program such as OLE sends mail, it sends it as two attachments: text/plain and text/html.
I have Barca set up to "Show Supported Attachments Inline"
Generally if there's html I'd like to read that, but Barca shows me the plain text first meaning that I have to scroll down to get to the formatted message. Have a look at some OLE mails...
If it's an attachment inline you can always click on the attachment tab, so you won't have to scroll down to read it. I don't think you can change the order of reading inline attachments.
5. wrapping plain text when reading
Had a look in the Options, but could only find settings for *sending* mail.
Sending and Quoting text can be wrapped, but for reading mail doesn't that depend on the sender's settings. I'm just not sure. :?
I however have no problem reading mail. :roll: Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Eric

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:16 am

Regarding the mark-as-read script, note that Michael's version will remove any other current status flags for the messages. He probably posted the script with the assumption that it would only be used for newly downloaded messages (and then the script would be fine). If you plan on calling the script by clicking on a toolbar button for messages that already exist in your mailboxes, however, here's the one that I use that preserves the other status flags (it should work with all current versions of Barca):
Code: Select all
Set $OnErrorMessage ""
AddStrings $OnErrorMessage "Error in " $pocoScriptName
Set $OnErrorGoTo "POCO_ERROR"

ReadHeader $status "X-Poco-Status:" %message
Char $ch 1 $status
If $ch = "R" Then DONE
ChopString $status 1 1
InsertString $status 1 "R"
DeleteHeader "X-Poco-Status:" %message
AddHeader %message "X-Poco-Status:" $status

:DONE
Exit

:POCO_ERROR
Exit

Regarding the word wrapping, Eric is right -- PocoMail does this automatically. I know of two cases when PocoMail does not wrap: (1) when the "monospaced button" is enabled at the top of the Preview Pane (this is by design) and (2) when you receive a Styled/HTML message that contains one or more long lines inside a <div> tag. The second case is a bug in my opinion, but I'm not going to enter it into Bug Traction until I receive such a message.
Pete

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:04 pm

Pete's script is better for general use but I've added a bit of code from my script to generalize it for those still using Poco 2.
Code: Select all
Set $OnErrorMessage ""
AddStrings $OnErrorMessage "Error in " $pocoScriptName
Set $OnErrorGoTo "POCO_ERROR"

Set $Header "X-Poco-Status"
If #PocoVersion > 1600 Then PerformAction
Set $Header "Status"
:PerformAction
ReadHeader $status $Header %message
Char $ch 1 $status
If $ch = "R" Then DONE
ChopString $status 1 1