[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Message marking, annotating & SEARCHING

Message marking, annotating & SEARCHING

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Message marking, annotating & SEARCHING

Postby moleboy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:38 pm

I love the way that with Google's Gmail service you can label messages with a limitless amount of user-defined labels, and apply multiple labels to any message so they can be found very quickly.

I was hoping to apply this sort of system to Barca to get me out of the habit of creating new folders for every new project I'm working on.

Unfortunately, with Barca there are only 8 "marking" slots available (not enough for me), and if I apply annotation to messages I can't seem to do a search on a message store for text in annotations.

Is there a way to search for annotations? That would bring a Gmail-like labelling fucntion to Barca :D

Thanks.
moleboy
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:26 am

To search for annotations select "Message Headers" in the "Search" box and then enter the word or phrase in the "for text" box.

If you want to use the show only bar for this then you would have to modify the tag annotated messages script to support searching for text and then use the "Show Tagged" setting in the show only box.
Michael

Postby moleboy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:36 am

Thanks for that. I've had a quick look at the script (yours?) - this is the first Pocoscript I've seen so it will probably take a while before I can get it to do what I want.

Am I correct in thinking that there's no command in Pocoscript that will automatically select all messages to avoid the need to do this manually? I couldn't see any reference to it in the manual.

Thanks
moleboy
Drop-in Visitor

Postby moleboy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Just been reading the PocoScript manual again and see that PocoScript can read and write from text files.

Before I start scripting, can anyone advise if the following would work to emulate GMail labelling functionality using message annotation:

When a message has been marked as read, this triggers a script that displays a dialog box with dropdown list showing all the labels that have already been defined in a text file. If user does not want to use an existing label they can type in a new one which is applied as an annotation, and this new label is appended to the text file.

If that is possible :shock: could it be extended to allow you to add up to 2 labels using the same dialog box? (I normally need 2 labels per email). I'm thinking that multiple labels in the annotation can be delimited using | or something similar to allow parsing by a filtering script.

Could this feature then be extended to add a "show only labelled" option which displays a dropdown of all the labels in the text file, and then filters based on the selected label? Without first having to select all messages manually in the mail box?

Any advice & comments would be very much appreciated!
moleboy
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:54 pm

moleboy wrote:Thanks for that. I've had a quick look at the script (yours?) - this is the first Pocoscript I've seen so it will probably take a while before I can get it to do what I want.

Yes, I wrote that script and it's companion, AnnotateMsg the predecessor to Poco's message annotation feature.

moleboy wrote:Am I correct in thinking that there's no command in Pocoscript that will automatically select all messages to avoid the need to do this manually? I couldn't see any reference to it in the manual.

Thanks

You are correct, scripts act on only a single message. If multiple messages are selected then the script is invoked sequentially for each one, there are some tricks by which you can save values from invocation to invocation but you can basically think of them starting with a clean slate.
Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:02 pm

moleboy wrote:Just been reading the PocoScript manual again and see that PocoScript can read and write from text files.

Before I start scripting, can anyone advise if the following would work to emulate GMail labelling functionality using message annotation:

When a message has been marked as read, this triggers a script that displays a dialog box with dropdown list showing all the labels that have already been defined in a text file. If user does not want to use an existing label they can type in a new one which is applied as an annotation, and this new label is appended to the text file.

If that is possible :shock: could it be extended to allow you to add up to 2 labels using the same dialog box? (I normally need 2 labels per email). I'm thinking that multiple labels in the annotation can be delimited using | or something similar to allow parsing by a filtering script.

Could this feature then be extended to add a "show only labelled" option which displays a dropdown of all the labels in the text file, and then filters based on the selected label? Without first having to select all messages manually in the mail box?

Any advice & comments would be very much appreciated!

This is almost possible, the only thing I can see that is missing is a trigger that fires when a message is marked as being read. Also, the OnDisplay event won't work for this as this is one of the few events that does not support modification of the underlying message (this event is intended to allow you to manipulate the message for display purposes. Note: I haven't tried saving a message in from a script in this event, it is possible that you could modify a message by doing this.)

If you examine the AnnotateMessage script you will see that message annotation is done by adding a special header to the message. This could also be used to add special "X-Poco-Label" headers. I'd recommend using the 'X-" prefix as this is somewhat of a standard for custom headers, the "Poco-" portion would allow any messages you modify to continue to work if PSI ever decided to make this feature native within Poco as they did with the message annotation feature.
Michael

Postby moleboy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:15 am

Michael - many thanks for your responses.

The reason I'd want the script to be triggered upon each message being read is that until it has been read I won't know what labels to apply :-)

In your experience, is it likely that a feature like this one will be implemented by Poco Systems if it has been requested?

As mentioned at the outset, organising email into folders (which I've been doing for years) is not an effective way to keep on top of email - it just leads to an ever-increasing number of folders that need searching and maintaining :(

GMail and Bloomba have got it right for heavy email users, or those that need to archive messages for legal reasons; we need the tools to allocate an unlimited number of labels/categories to each message so they are much easier to find/reference again. That way you can keep everything in one mail folder and not have to hassle about moving messages from folder to folder, thinking about which folder is most appropriate to save each message etc.

Hopefully Poco System can take these suggestions on board and make them available natively within the desktop client. It will certainly interest the SME/SMB market and definitely put Barca ahead of Bloomba as the most complete desktop multi-user email/PIM solution, whether compared with Outlook or not.

Cheers.

P.S. Bloomba's RSS feed rocks - I trialled Bloomba Pro for the full 30 days just because of that feature. In fact, if Bloomba had Barca's task management, notes and planner I'd probably be using it now. I just wish Barca's calendar and planner were integrated...
moleboy
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To