[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Mail format question...

Mail format question...

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Mail format question...

Postby Flashfox » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:57 am

This may be a simple item to resolve, or maybe not.

a. I receive an HTML formatted message (i.e. E-tickets, etc.);
b. I need to forward them to someone else (family, etc.);
c. The message is now stripped or all formatting and becomes plain text. This is apparent the moment I click on "forward" from the message view.

I made sure that the forwarded message is "Styled" (config, etc.) and that "strip HMTL" is not activated, etc.

So my question is simply: Can I forward an HTML-formatted message without losing the format?

I have had to "print" the message to a PDF file using deskPDF (no "save as" in the BARCA message options), then send this file to the recipient as an attachment.
Flashfox
 

Postby robin » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:53 am

Two possibilities come to mind (or more as I think of them)

1. Forward as attachment (rather as forward inline) - in the Message menu.
2. Use the "Preview in Browser" script to export an HTML file; rename that file from Explorer and attach it to a new message (a more convoluted way of doing Forward as attachment).
3. There was a third but I can't remember it now.

Anyway, I have just tried forwarding to myself an HTML newsletter using method 1 and I can see the fully formatted newsletter as an attachment when I receive it, so try that first.
robin
 

Postby Flashfox » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:52 pm

robin wrote:Two possibilities come to mind (or more as I think of them)

1. Forward as attachment (rather as forward inline) - in the Message menu.
2. Use the "Preview in Browser" script to export an HTML file; rename that file from Explorer and attach it to a new message (a more convoluted way of doing Forward as attachment).
3. There was a third but I can't remember it now.

Anyway, I have just tried forwarding to myself an HTML newsletter using method 1 and I can see the fully formatted newsletter as an attachment when I receive it, so try that first.


1. Noted... I was right-clicking on the message or clicking on "forward" from within the message. This "forward as an attachment" option should be a choice from within the message or by right-clicking on it.

2. Too complicated process... it should be simple.

3. Neither can I ;-)

Looks like option 1 is the way I will go... now if PSI can offer this choice from the message, and how about the often asked "save as".
Flashfox
 

Postby robin » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:18 pm

What's wrong with File | Save Message? Gives you the option to save it as .eml, .html or .txt. Exists in PM 3.2 and Barca 1.1 build 820 (and earlier versions as far as I know).

2) was only a workaround :) and effectively 1) and the above done a more complicated way.

I agree that "Forward as attachment" would be better included on the right-click menu.
robin
 

Postby Flashfox » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:53 am

robin wrote:What's wrong with File | Save Message? Gives you the option to save it as .eml, .html or .txt. Exists in PM 3.2 and Barca 1.1 build 820 (and earlier versions as far as I know).

2) was only a workaround :) and effectively 1) and the above done a more complicated way.

I agree that "Forward as attachment" would be better included on the right-click menu.


File|Save Message is basically OK. But these functions should logically be available as an option from the message (right-click or right menu). You now have Print, Forward, etc... but not "Forward as an attachment" or "Save as". Another one that has been discussed is "Save Attachment".

I know that the attachment is in the default folder, but even with a desktop shorcut, you still need find the specific file... especially if you have a lot of them in there.
One should be able to "Save Attachment" to any other folder from the message list (right-click) or while reading the message.

IMHO, if Barca is to become a viable alternative to applications like Outlook, then I personnally believe that some of the functions described above need to be supported.

I "had" to use Outlook for many years until I climbed the ranks and arrived at a level where I can choose an alternate package. I chose to "test" Barca for our environment. I must admit that it is very promising... but I know how our people work and if we gave them Barca as it is, they would complain about the same items (amongst others). However, Barca is new and improving... which is good ;-)

Just a few observations from a heavy global Email user ;-)
Flashfox
 

Postby Pete » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:52 am

Flashfox wrote:So my question is simply: Can I forward an HTML-formatted message without losing the format?

As Robin said, the only simple, reliable way that I've found to forward styled messages with PocoMail (Barca) is to use the "Forward As Attachment" command. As you probably know, however, there are significant drawbacks to this command such as the fact that you cannot remove people's email addresses and such inside the forwarded message. There have been several requests over the years from users (including me) to make the "Forward" command more sophisticated. PSI apparently has higher-priority things to address, such as "vertical-pane layout" and "two-line-per-message display in the Index Pane".


Flashfox wrote:This "forward as an attachment" option should be a choice from within the message or by right-clicking on it.

Note that most or all of the commands that you want to see in the right-click context menu are already there. However, you have to right-click in the preview pane or in the view window, not in the index pane. This implies that these commands only work with a single message at a time if you use this approach (I don't know if this is different than the behavior, for example, of the "Save Message" command in the File menu). I also suspect that these commands are not included in the index pane's context menu because it already has so many commands in it.


Flashfox wrote:One should be able to "Save Attachment" to any other folder from the message list (right-click) or while reading the message. [...] IMHO, if Barca is to become a viable alternative to applications like Outlook, then I personnally believe that some of the functions described above need to be supported.

Actually, Barca/PM already have this ability if you keep attachments encoded with messages ("Tools > Options > Encoding Options > When receiving attachments..."). You can simply right-click on an attachment in the Attachment Pane. I don't know if Outlook allows you to automatically decode attachments, but if it doesn't then I think that the only fair comparison in this regard is if you also keep attachments encoded with the messages in B/PM.

The missing feature, though, is that you cannot save all of a message's attachments at the same time in B/PM. You have to manually save each attachment.
Pete
 


Return to Barca Help and How-To

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron