[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Auto-Completion in "TO:" field

Auto-Completion in "TO:" field

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Auto-Completion in "TO:" field

Postby dvergin » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:37 am

In Barca, when I am typing a name into the "TO:" field, the program seems to try to complete it for me as I type. But its first choice is often not the one I want. In other email clients, that auto-completion is progressive or there is a "try next name" key you can use.

But what I end up having to do is type enough of the name to do the job and then blindly hit TAB, trusting that I have typed in enough to unambiguously specify the one I want. If I've done well, I move to the next field with the full name/address in the "TO:" field. If there are multiple options, I get a pop-up.

What I'd like, is a way, either to flip through the auto-completion options while I'm still in the field, or a continuing progressive auto-completion so I know when I've typed in enough to obtain the address I want.

This gets especially tedious when I am typing several names into the "TO:" field. If I want to do it by auto-completion, I have to type in enough, TAB to the next field to trip the auto-completion function, then go *back* to the "TO:" field to type in the next name.

I don't want to set up nicknames for each person in my address list. I've got hundreds of them. I just want auto-completion to Do What I Mean on the fly.

I've checked the docs but the material on composing an email gives no hint at all about the existence of auto-completion in the "TO:" field (although clearly it happens). And the only info on "Auto-completion" relates to user-entered shortcuts to be used in the message body.

Barca is so well thought-through in so many ways, I suspect I am missing something here.

Here's the test case: I want to enter two names: John Brown and Jane Smith. I know that "John Br" and "Jane Sm" are enough to distinguish the two names (but there are other, wrong names that try to auto-complete themselves as I begin typing each name) and I want to get both names in and see that they have been correctly recognized (with no mousing) before moving on to the next field. How do I do that?

TIA, David

UPDATE: I did find the option under the View menu of the message window called "Enable Address Auto-Complete Ctrl+,". But all that seems to do is toggle whether Barca tries to suggest a name while I am still in the "TO:" field. A partial name will be auto-completed when I hit TAB whether that option is checked or not.
dvergin
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:52 pm

Address AutoComplete is a strange beast and it can really be annoying at times. I find that with multiple address books it can be even stranger, sometimes an entry that is staring me in the face won't autocomplete or at least won't be displayed in the duplicate list when it really should. You might want to look at this thread where some analysis was done. Bottom line, you can play with some of the options, I find that setting a nickname foir an entry and using that does help but I feel this feature does need some work.
Michael

Postby Pete » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:54 am

I agree that the auto-complete feature doesn't work intuitively in all situations. I use PocoMail, but it's probably the same in Barca.

For example, in "Tools > Options > Address Lookup", I only enable option 2 (match on full name). I do not use nicknames or email addresses during auto-completion. Given the following two address-book entries:

FirstName: Jane
LastName: Doe
Display As: Jane

FirstName: John
LastName: Doe
Display As: John

If I type the letter d and hit Tab, PocoMail prompts me to choose which Doe (Jane or John). This is good.

If however I type the letter j and hit Tab, PocoMail does not prompt me and simply enters the first one (Jane). This is bad and unintuitive. There's an undocumented workaround to handle this -- terminate it with a comma. For example, if I enter "j," instead of "j", then PocoMail correctly prompts me.

So then you might say, "Okay, everything will be fine if I always add a comma." Wrong. :) This trick only works with my settings when I type a partial first name.

If you type a partial last name and end it with a comma, then PocoMail does not find any matches (even though matches exist).

So, David, I recommend that you verify your desired settings at "Tools > Options > Address Lookup" and that you use the "comma trick" when you're searching for a first name.

Note that if you have entered more than one person in the To: field, then the extra comma is at the end of the line. For example:

To: j,
To: a,zebra,b,pete,j,
Pete

Return to Barca Help and How-To