[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Better Way to Thread?

Better Way to Thread?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Better Way to Thread?

Postby Bako » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:33 pm

One of the features that lured me to PocoMail was message threading. Having used Gmail for a while, I really appreciated the idea of threading conversations, but I'm learning that it's also how well the Google people implemented the idea. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether PocoMail's threading can be changed to more closely simulate Gmail's...

1. PocoMail 'nests' the newer messages below the older one. This seems backward to me, since one wants to see the most recent one at the top of the chain, and expand it to see the older ones. Is there any way to change this?

2. Along the same lines, when a new message comes in that winds up being threaded, it gets stuck down with the older one. So wheras my new mail appears at the top of the window, threaded mail may be waaaay down, below the viewing area. I find this pretty annoying, since I would expect a new message to bring the whole thread to the top. I get the sense that if the previous issue were fixed, this would be taken care of.

3. Gmail shows all messages in a threaded conversation in the same display window, starting with the most recent. They also eliminate older, quoted text so the conversation isn't cluttered -- this makes the thread easy to read, like a message board. I don't think this could be done with PocoMail now, but something to think about for an update.

4. Finally, a graphic indentation would be nice, to distinguish threaded messages from regular ones. Thunderbird does this well. Again, perhaps something for the next update.

If anyone has any ideas about whether any of these could be implemented now on PocoMail, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To