[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Import Outlook Express Messages

Import Outlook Express Messages

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Import Outlook Express Messages

Postby Symbi0nt » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:11 am

Hi,

I'm new to this e-Mail client and I'm willing to test it in all directions, but the MOST IMPORTENT thing for me is to EASY import all my messages into this e-Mail client.

Well I'm using OE for ages and I own ~220 MB e-Mail data. I tried it 10 times to import my data into poco mail, but it failed every time.

The first thing I noticed was that the client takes 99% cpu all the time. I also checked the RAM consumption. After 45 minutes pocomail allocated around 120 MB of my ram and was still at e-Mail 110 of may be 300 or more. It also had a standstill in one folder for 20 minutes without increment the nummer of transfered messages.

After 45 minutes I killed the process via taskmanager. I tried it again and again. Nothing changed.

This is a very bad start into a new software, eh?

I noticed also that the client is very colorfull, which is not bad, but I like more the windows XP VS.NET or Offcie XP look from menus and so on. May be one of your skins can bring me that feeling, but they are not downloadable in the trial period, which is bad.

Anyway, I'm not willing to install Outlook (the big thing) to import my e-Mails into it and then convert them into poco mail back.

Please fix your import. I'll keep an eye on a new release. Atm I will not continue testing. :-((((
Symbi0nt
New Arrival

Re: Import Outlook Express Messages

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:30 am

Hi Symbi0nt & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
Symbi0nt wrote:I'm new to this e-Mail client and I'm willing to test it in all directions, but the MOST IMPORTENT thing for me is to EASY import all my messages into this e-Mail client. Well I'm using OE for ages and I own ~220 MB e-Mail data. I tried it 10 times to import my data into poco mail, but it failed every time.
Take a look at this topic.
The first thing I noticed was that the client takes 99% cpu all the time. I also checked the RAM consumption. After 45 minutes pocomail allocated around 120 MB of my ram and was still at e-Mail 110 of may be 300 or more. It also had a standstill in one folder for 20 minutes without increment the nummer of transfered messages.
After 45 minutes I killed the process via taskmanager. I tried it again and again. Nothing changed.
Never saw it on my system, so it must be something else that's taking up all your RAM.
This is a very bad start into a new software, eh?
Not the opinion of thousands of other users. :shock:
I noticed also that the client is very colorfull, which is not bad, but I like more the windows XP VS.NET or Offcie XP look from menus and so on. May be one of your skins can bring me that feeling, but they are not downloadable in the trial period, which is bad.
You've to be a registered user to download skins & scripts, so why is that bad?
Atm I will not continue testing. :-((((
Sorry to hear, but keep checking back.

I hope this can help. :wink:
Eric

hmmm

Postby Symbi0nt » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:29 pm

Hi Eric,

I know that other Topic and I read it carefully to understand how he/she has solved the import problem, but that does not worked for me.

I'll try to make some screens today and post it here. May be it could help to debug.
Symbi0nt
New Arrival

I did it .. .with a sleep

Postby Symbi0nt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:42 am

I tried it again and here my result.

Pocomail did it. I started PM and as I described erlier it takes 99% CPU from the start to the end. After 15 minutes on the 2nd largest file (see the picture) and maxRAM 85MB and E/A written: 150MB !!!! I went to bed. After 1:15 hours of sleep I came back and voila PM was ready. Don't know when it was finish exactly, but it was.

Thus, here comes a screenshot from the work:

Please note some things:

I don't know which crazy routine PM uses to convert OE mails to PM mails, but a MEM usage up to 150MB is really crazy. My largest file is exactly 52MB large. The 2nd largest is shown in the picture.

The pagefault are may be not the fault of the programm itself, but I guess we have a new record here in that picture :-)

And there is another crazy thing. I have ~ 200 MB OE data and that programm has read 300 MB and written 230MB data. where comes the 100MB difference from? Don't know.

What you cannot see in that picture is the 99% cpu useage but I guess you can imagine it bey yourself. Not everyone has the patience to wait around 1 hour to perform a little convert task at FULL cpu power.

Ok, I'll now test the proggy :-)
Symbi0nt
New Arrival

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:38 am

SymbiOnt,

Thanks to you and Eric. Someone is already looking at this. Whatever we find will be included in future release.
Jim

Postby COD » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:29 am

If you are going to use a program that uses proprietary formats that aim to lock users in, you should not be surprised when you find it difficult to leave that particular program. That is the point of the lack openess after all.
COD
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To