[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Double Spacing

Double Spacing

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Double Spacing

Postby zerodot » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:39 am

I've been having this problem ever since I started using Pocomail a while ago.

First, when I copy/paste from one message to another it adds 2 spaces per new line, causing me to have to delete these extra lines to send a decent looking message.

However, after sending, if the recipient replies I see in the reply that he/she received my mail with these double spaces!

When I send to my hotmail account I see the double spaces there as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.
zerodot
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:54 am

This has been the cause of a number of posts in the old forum. I don't think that there is resolution yet, although PSI are aware of it. Maybe the next release (hint hint)?
robin

Postby frazmi » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:47 am

Agreed that this has been discussed a lot. The cause seems to be related to PSI's decision not to use Internet Explorer to display HTML (due to security concerns, which most users of Poco agree upon).

Strategies I've found helpful include...
1) Don't use HTML for messages. Put formatted content in an attachment.

2) When I need to use HTML, save the message as a draft. If you then look at the message, the formatting you see is much closer to what the recipient will see. (I don't think it's perfect, just closer.)

3) Forget about tight formatting in HTML, and just "go with the flow."

4) Use Shift-Enter for the blank lines. These seem to go through in a WYSIWIG manner.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:46 am

Hi frazmi, while there might be other issues with incorrect double-spacing (although I've never encountered them and I use Styled messages all of the time), I think that the original poster's issue is specific to using the clipboard. I've also noticed this copy/paste bug -- it actually occurs during the "copy-to-clipboard" operation rather than during the paste phase. One can confirm this by copying text from the Preview Pane of a PocoMail Styled message and then pasting the contents into something neutral like Notepad.exe. Single blank lines are incorrectly changed into three blank lines.
Pete

Postby frazmi » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:03 am

Pete, you're right... I think [this smilie :oops: ] fits my situation. I didn't read the OP closely enough. Also, I think the problem I was discussing actually was a bug that was fixed a while ago. (Just my memory speaking, here -- hard to check without the old forum content.)

Having said that, and having finished wiping egg off my face, I actually stand by all of my advice -- I find it good practice not to rely on HTML formatting for any fine nuances in an email.

Also, I would point out that there's still a problem with numbered lists that's solved using the Shift-Enter work-around.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby zerodot » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:37 am

The Shift-Enter thing seems to have solved the problem. Such a simple solution.. you'd think it would be simple enough to implement a fix for it so I wouldn't have to do Shift-Enter for every new line :)

But hey, aside from this little thing Pocomail is perfect.. so.. can't complain

Thanks for the help everyone!
zerodot
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:12 am

I've also noticed this copy/paste bug -- it actually occurs during the "copy-to-clipboard" operation rather than during the paste phase.

I believe what you are seeing is the situation I reported as Bug #1060 several months ago. There is extensive discussion of this bug in BugTraction fro #1060. It remains unresolved.
Sandy

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:09 am

That could be related. I actually entered a bug report before that one that specifically addresses the interaction with the clipboard (1050).
Pete

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:36 am

Ah, I see now. You're right. Bug#1060 doesn't have anything to do with the clipboard, but rather just how Poco displays an extra blank line in some HTML. I got confused because I have another bug report #1023 (fixed) which had to do with an extra blank line being inserted when copying to the clipboard from a text msg (as opposed to HTML). I got my 2 reports smashed together in my mind.

I agree -- 1050 & 1060 may well be related. Both of course are still unresolved.
Sandy

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:28 am

Hi all:

I've been following this thread since the old forum and I must admit I'm somewhat confused. When using an html editor (Dreamweaver is what I am most familiar with), the hitting Enter will produce a double space. Shift-Enter will give you a single space.

Speaking basd on my experience alone, the editor will produce results as expected. If you use text only, the Enter key will give you a single space. Styled produces behaviors more akin to an html environment hence the results: Enter = double space. Shift-Enter = single space.

Now I know writing email is different than designing a web page, but perhaps this is the root of Poco's behavior. I also know the formatting sometimes produces unexpected results, but nothing's perfect.

Am I missing something?

Jon
Jon
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:15 pm

Jon, when I hit {Enter} the resulting HTML code from both Dreamweaver and Poco is text between <p> and </p> tags. However, when I'm editing in Dreamweaver and hit {Enter}, I see a double space immediately. When I hit {Enter} in Poco, I see only a single space. This is the crux of the problem.

If Poco always treated <p> tags the same, life would be much simpler! It's disconcerting and confusing to edit a message with apparent single spacing, and then to find out that it is (properly) interpreted by the recipient's system as having double space.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:06 am

Hi Frazmi:

Thanks for the explanation. I agree that it is confusing. However, like Pete I don't experience the double spacing problem. Just curious - why should it appear on some machines and not others?

Jon
Jon
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:25 am

Jon, that's strange -- at least, if I'm understanding what you say...

Suppose {A} means "press the 'A' key", then if I read you aright, in a message compose window (styled text) after you press the keys:
{A}{B}{C}{Enter}{D}{E}{F}
then you see in your compose window:
Code: Select all
ABC

DEF
Is this correct?

For the record, I see:
Code: Select all
ABC
DEF
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:02 am

Hi Framzi:

Strange is the right word, but no. What I meant was that I agree with Pete that I have not seen the double space problem in my styled emails after examining them in draft and if I send them to myself. But I also agree with you that numbered lists are very problematic. So I use text as much as possible.

Jon
Jon
Poco Tourist

Postby jtisdall » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:17 am

I am not sure if this is the same or not, but I have the originally reported problem and only use plain text messages; that is, if I copy text to the clipboard and paste it back in, there are extra blank lines for every 'carriage return'. This seems to be a clipboard rather than HTML issue.

Strangely, though I have not experimented at length, none of these blank lines behave normally - I use ClipMate which can strip various characters like line feeds, and even after stripping the text pastes into Poco with double the number of blank lines. So all of the blank lines, original and added, resist deletion.

jt
jtisdall
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To