[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Export to incredimail..can it be done??

Export to incredimail..can it be done??

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Export to incredimail..can it be done??

Postby Maxy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi there,
I've set up numerous extra mailboxes that have filters so if a mesage comes in from mr x it will go into the folder called mr x.
I'd like to try incredimail and don't want to lose my ton of messages or settings. How can i export all of my account settings and mesages (I'm not to worried about the filters). Even if i can migrate them to outlook express then I can import them to incredimail. I've been searching for hours trying to find the answer but with no luck. :(
Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Maxy
Maxy
New Arrival

Re: Export to incredimail..can it be done??

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi Maxy & welcome to Poco forum. :D
Maxy wrote:I'd like to try incredimail and don't want to lose my ton of messages or settings. How can i export all of my account settings and mesages (I'm not to worried about the filters). Even if i can migrate them to outlook express then I can import them to incredimail. I've been searching for hours trying to find the answer but with no luck. :(
Can anyone help please?
If you can import EML into Incredimail, then it's possible.
:idea: Before you do that, take a look at this topic at Wilders Security: Hosts and Incredimail. It describes the problems about Incredimail. Also take a look at the Spyware Warrior Forum.
I used Incredimail before, but never again. It's difficult to get rid off once you've installed it. :cry:
Just my 0.2 euro. :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby Tomas » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:39 pm

Maxy,

there is no way to transfer settings and filters.

There for sure must be one or more ways to transfer messages, but I don't have Incredimail installed at the moment to give it a test.

You said, you want to TRY Incredimail. Is it really necessary to transfer all of that just to try it? I mean, when I was trying other email clients, I just setup one account there and didn't allow to delete messages from the server by it, and let Pocomail to continue download and delete same messages after they were downloaded in the apps I tested.

It is really cumbersome to transfer all the data between various email apps (not speaking here about Pocomail, but generally), a task which I personally would avoid whenever possible, and "just testing" seems one of those moments to me.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:00 am

Tomas wrote:There for sure must be one or more ways to transfer messages, but I don't have Incredimail installed at the moment to give it a test.
It's described at Incredimail FAQ.
:roll: I only hope, Maxy, that you won't have stability or uninstall problems.
Eric

Postby Maxy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:37 am

Hi all,
thanks for responding.
The reason i asked about transfering all my messages even though I want to try incredimail and mabey some other clients is because if i do end up using it (or any other email client) i will eventually need to transfer all my messages (over 2,000) into the new email client. I did a search on my PC for *eml and the only ones that would show up said they were in my pocomail/mail/drafts folder. As i mentioned I have over 2,000 messages and when i searched only around 100 messages were found. This is strange because I don't have messages in my drafts folder.
A re the messages saved as something else?

I think Poco is a great program and will happily reccommend it to anyone :D
but for me I just feel like a change.

Thanks for the tips on the security side of things as well.

Cheers,

Maxy
Maxy
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:56 am

Maxy wrote:As i mentioned I have over 2,000 messages and when i searched only around 100 messages were found. This is strange because I don't have messages in my drafts folder.
A re the messages saved as something else?
It means 1,900 messages are stored in MBX format and the rest in EML.
If I'm correct Draft is stored in EML.
Did you Compress all mailboxes?

From the link I provided for Incredimail FAQ's, you'll have to do the import in two steps.
1. import all messages from Poco into Outlook Express
2. import all messages from Outlook Express into Incredimail as described in the above link.

Thanks for the tips on the security side of things as well.
You're welcome & good luck. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:00 pm

An alternative approach is to:
1. export Pocomail to Eudora
2. import from Eudora into Incredimail

or the same but with Netscape. Maybe you would have to test several ways. It might happen that just export from Pocomail would suffice and it would be enough to point Incredimail to created mailbox file, but it can also happen that Incredimail would find out that there is no Eudora (or other) installed on your system and you would have to install it temporarily just to complete the transfer.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Maxy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:13 pm

Hi Tomas.
Thanks for your reply.
An alternative approach is to:
1. export Pocomail to Eudora
2. import from Eudora into Incredimail

Would that mean i have to open eudora and import my messages from poco-mail?
I can see the option in poco to export the mailbox but no messages go along with it just the mailbox is exported.
Where would i look for the mailbox that has all of the messages in it?
I'm not sure if i've compacted my mailboxes, would that make any difference to eudora finding the messages?

Again thank you for your help i really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Maxy
Maxy
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 am

As I said already, I don't know.

If Incredimail, on importing from eudora, allows you to manually search for mailbox and import it, you are lucky. No need not even to have Eudora installed.

But maybe Incredimail will tell you there is no Eudora installed on your computer. In that case, you would have to install Eudora, and with the mailboxes created by Pocomail, you will, most probably, have to move them to the same directory in which your Eudora mailboxes reside. In old Eudora they used to be in the main Eudora directory, not sure with the current version. After moving such an exported mailbox into Eudora, and running Eudora next time, it shall recognize it automatically, and at that moment you are ready for conversion from Eudora to Incredimail.

At the moment, I have neither Eudora nor Incredimail installed, so all is just from the top of my memory, reality might be different.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Export to incredimail..can it be done??

Postby Omega » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:33 am

Maxy wrote:Hi there,
Would that mean i have to open eudora and import my messages from poco-mail?
I can see the option in poco to export the mailbox but no messages go along with it just the mailbox is exported.
Where would i look for the mailbox that has all of the messages in it?
I'm not sure if i've compacted my mailboxes, would that make any difference to eudora finding the messages?

Maxy

Maxy,

At this point, it makes the most sense for you to contact the people that makes Incredimail. They should be better positioned to tell you how to bring data into their application. Tomas and Eric have been very nice to you. However, this forum is for people trying to use PocoMail.
Omega

Postby Maxy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:35 pm

I totally agree that everyone has been helpful in this forum. I really appreciate it. Thank You.

Maxy
Maxy
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To