[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - two minor problems

two minor problems

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

two minor problems

Postby DanB_JT52 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:08 pm

1st ,, was wondering if possible to get my hotmail to Poco somehow.Second ,,what is the command line I use for Norton antivirus?Any help appreciated.
Please email me .
Dana J Brown
DanB_JT52
New Arrival

Postby Hogyt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi,

1) Pocomail doesn't have built in support to read web mail so you'll need some software that will do this for you and act as a pop3 proxy server.

One such program is Hotmail Popper but the latest versions aren't free. Have a search on google for Hotmail Popper 2.1.1 (the last free version) or click here to download it from a link i found.

If you use Hotmail Popper, to set it up to read your Hotmail messages in Pocomail go to Tools->Accounts Setup and create a new account. In the "General" tab type in your name and Hotmail email address and tick "Incoming Mail Settings". Set the "Server" to 127.0.0.1. For the "Username" type in your full Hotmail email address and for the "Password" enter your Hotmail password. Set the "Server Type" to POP. That should be all you need to do to read your Hotmail within Pocomail. Edit: See my post below to set it up to allow sending from your Hotmail account within Pocomail.

Since it's an old version theres a chance it may break in future but the only other free alternative i've found is FoxHot which is part of the free FoxMail email client. I couldn't get it to work though...

2) If you have a not too old (2003 onwards?) version of Norton AntiVirus then go to its options and set it to scan incoming/outcoming email. I don't think you need to set anything in Pocomail but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Good luck,
Mat

PS: I'm not emailing this personally (set your profile to email you when someone replies to a thread you have posted in) :wink:
Last edited by Hogyt on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:33 pm

Hogyt wrote: 2) If you have a not too old (2003 onwards?) version of Norton AntiVirus then go to its options and set it to scan incoming/outcoming email. I don't think you need to set anything in Pocomail but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
You're quite right Mat - but versions back to NAV5 (for Win98) would do this as well.
robin

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:35 am

As a [former] & [long time user] of Norton AV products, I'd mention that setting Norton to scan outgoing email can cause v-e-r-y long delays in processing sent mail. I never turned that feature on because of this "feature."
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby BigCharles » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:19 am

frazmi wrote:As a [former] & [long time user] of Norton AV products, I'd mention that setting Norton to scan outgoing email can cause v-e-r-y long delays in processing sent mail. I never turned that feature on because of this "feature."

We have to turn that feature on at work as our people use various e-mail clients and we want everything scanned.

The best way to tame the delays is to put as much memory into your machine as possible. That and a faster processor.

There are still times that I have to walk away from the machine when I am e-mailing a software update to a client. I'd rather be safe than fast. Besides if you bill by the hour, well ....
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:26 pm

I have a Cray "Red Storm" on order (I think I'm number 3 in line after Sandia Labs and another customer). In the meantime, I'm thinking about limping along with a Cray XD1 configured at only 633 GFlops. James, can you please tell me when Poco will run on the Red Storm? I really want to get rid of these annoying virus scanning delays. TIA.

(NOT!)
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:32 am

frazmi wrote:I have a Cray "Red Storm" on order (I think I'm number 3 in line after Sandia Labs and another customer). In the meantime, I'm thinking about limping along with a Cray XD1 configured at only 633 GFlops. James, can you please tell me when Poco will run on the Red Storm? I really want to get rid of these annoying virus scanning delays. TIA.

(NOT!)
Windows XP for Cray! How wide is the Cray word - Windows XP128?
robin

Postby Krall » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:27 pm

Thanks Hogyt, I was searching these forums for an answer to using Poco Mail with a Hotmail account and your answer hit the spot :)

Now does anyone know how to set it up so you can actually send mail out from Poco Mail from your Hotmail messages? I've tried just about everything with Hotmail Popper to no avail it won't let me respond to my Hotmail messages for replying....

Thanks for any help.
Krall
New Arrival

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:45 pm

No problem Krall :-) I think this is how to set it up to send mail. I only tested it quickly...

Go to Tools->Accounts Setup and select your hotmail account. Go to "Outgoing" and tick "Account Server Settings". Enter 127.0.0.1 as the server. Tick "Use Outgoing Server Authentication" and enter your hotmail email address in username and your hotmail password in password (ie. the same as you did in the "General" tab). Select LOGIN as "Authentication Type" and OK it.

It it works or otherwise please post back so others will know whether to try it :-)

If anyone knows of any other free software that works like this can you let us know? One day hotmail is bound to change how it works and this software won't work anymore (at least without buying a new version...). Also, maybe one of the mods would like to make the title of this topic a little clearer?

Hope that helps,
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby SFCurley » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:30 am

I, too, use Hotmail Popper 2.1.1 and it does send using the same setup HOGYT outlines above.
SFCurley

Postby Krall » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:56 am

Hogyt,

Fantastic! That worked like a charm, thanks again for your help :) I don't have to copy & paste between email programs now which is very, very nice!
Krall
New Arrival

Postby Hogyt » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:58 am

Thats great news! :-)
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Belated thanks

Postby DanB_JT52 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:46 am

Meant to post a thanks a while ago ,but here it is.
Hotmail popper worked great ,and I really appreciate the help.
I knew Norton would work ,just was curious as to what you would put in as a command line parameter,as I have no experience with command line commands and like to learn anything I can.
This is a great forum,will visit more often.I'm just a self taught web designer, and a knowledge nerd.
Thanks again.
Dan
Dana J Brown
DanB_JT52
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To