[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail is freezing at startup

Pocomail is freezing at startup

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail is freezing at startup

Postby grosbouff » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:51 am

Hello; since a few days, pocomail is freezing when I try to open it.
It stays at the blue screen with the POCMAIL 3 logo, and there, the program is not responding anymore.
I tryed to reinstall, i made a scandisk, a virus scan, a spyware scan...
But it still freezes.

Could you help me ?

Thanks
grosbouff
New Arrival

Hanging / Freezing

Postby Draven » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:43 am

I am getting a very similar thing - I can open PocoMail 3.1 fine but after a few seconds it will freeze. I tried re-installing PM (without first uninstsalling) and this has not helped. I have recently installed an external HDD - removing this does not change anything. I have recently installed new nVidia drivers and ObjectDock. Shutting down ObjectDock does not help either.

Draven.
Draven
New Arrival

Hang / Freeze

Postby Draven » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:28 am

It seems that it was the part of the nVidia drivers that were causing the problem. I Disabled the Desktop Manager function and PM then seemed to work fine.

Draven
Draven
New Arrival

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:40 am

nVidia drivers are known to cause the freezing problem. Other users have either updated their drivers or replace them. Perhaps you will hear from those users soon.
Alpha

Poco Hanging when composing mail

Postby bernard simkins » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:10 am

I have suffered with this problem for twelve months and it is getting to the point where I will have to move from Poco which is a shame. If I remember correctly I was told that it may be due to
my computer being on a network.
When another pc is accessing mine it will hang Poco if I am composing.
Is your pc on a network?
I was hoping that 3.1 will have resolved it but no. :(

It is something that needs to be sorted quickly as if it is a network problem or anything for that matter it is basic stuff and inexcuseable on good software.
I am running Poco on Windows98 and I had this problem from day1 before I installed Norton.
bernard simkins
New Arrival

Re: Hang / Freeze

Postby robin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:52 am

Draven wrote:It seems that it was the part of the nVidia drivers that were causing the problem. I Disabled the Desktop Manager function and PM then seemed to work fine.

Draven
Bizarre - because with my system (and Barca) it works without at hitch. C'est la Vie!
robin

Postby Corunetes » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:51 pm

I recently installed a new nvidia video card into my machine.Naturally I updated my drivers and Pocomail instantly threw a hissy fit.
It would freeze up and nothing could be done to get it back short of rebooting...........

After contemplating going to Thunderbird, (good, but lacking in some areas) I decided to uninstall the new drivers and installed the old driver set which I had been using previously. Bingo.solid as a rock again........... It's not the card, it's the drivers........ Now, who should I inform, Pocomail or nvidia?
Corunetes
"Man of Leisure"
You, you, and you panic. Everyone else come with me.
Corunetes
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:28 pm

I'd say, inform both. Perhaps the latest driver has a bug.

Rearding the nVidia, which card did you install? Which OS are you using? What is the driver version number which causes problems with Poco.

Have you tried changing the amount of hardware acceleration? I've found that tweaking the acceleration setting often cures display problems with my nVidia card.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby mikeroy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:09 am

Thanks for posting the problem w/ the nVidia drivers. I killed the nview startup process and haven't had the freezing issue since.
mikeroy
New Arrival

Postby Corunetes » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:48 am

frazmi wrote:I'd say, inform both. Perhaps the latest driver has a bug.

Rearding the nVidia, which card did you install? Which OS are you using? What is the driver version number which causes problems with Poco.

Have you tried changing the amount of hardware acceleration? I've found that tweaking the acceleration setting often cures display problems with my nVidia card.

The new card is a GEForce FX 5200. I used the drivers disk that came with the card but then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the latest drivers......... This was V. 61.77 (I think)

I haven't bothered with the acceleration for the simple reason that since reverting to the old drivers seemed to work, that'll do! :P

I'm not a gamer or a signicant power user so what I may have lost by not using the new drivers is not hugely important to me.

I have sent an email to nvidia regarding the problem. I will let Poco systems know shortly!

thanx for your help!
Corunetes
"Man of Leisure"
You, you, and you panic. Everyone else come with me.
Corunetes
Poco Tourist

Postby Webguy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:37 pm

I too have been getting many lockups with poco and it has been getting very annoying. I have just disabled NView to see if it makes any difference.
Webguy
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To