[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail got lost in the registry?

Pocomail got lost in the registry?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail got lost in the registry?

Postby ente » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 am

Hello
Three days ago, when I started Pocomail, I got the message that Pocomail is not registered as default mail program. When I pushed the button to make Pocomail again to my one and only mailprogram, I got the answer, that Pocomail was not able to write to the registry and that I should make sure that I have administrator rights (of course I'm the one and only administrator on this PC!).
And when I tried to run a script which I have layed under one of the numbered buttons, nothing happened. And the address files had disappeared from the menu with the "currently installed address books. And when I select an email address in the internet, no longer a new Pocomail mail gets started, but Microsoft offers to install Outlook :mrgreen:!
And all this after more then a dozen of years using Pocomail as my one and only mail client..., pushing many times every day of one of the numbered buttons..., selecting every day any number of addresses from the contacts list...
What must I do! (of course I checked under Start/Standardprogram - there, Pocomails shows not of in the list of the programs available - it is not there)
Urgent help would be appreciated very much,
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Re: Pocomail got lost in the registry?

Postby MarkB » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 am

Hi, ente.

Disclaimer:
Troubleshooting PocoMail is not my field. If anyone else wants to take over, they're welcome to do so.

System restore:
If this were still Day 1, you might have tried System Restore to revert system files to a state prior to your mishap. By default, Win7 creates restore points automatically. These include a backup of the Registry and backups of PocoMail's .ini files if these are in a standard location. Now, Day 3 or 4, might be a little late for this. You could open System Restore, select a restore point, and click "Scan for affected software" to help you decide.

Re. administrator rights:
Being logged in to an admin account isn't always enough in Windows 7. To run a program one time with full administrator access, right-click the program's icon or shortcut and select "Run as administrator."

What caused the problem?
General principles call for two actions. (1) Diagnose hardware. At a minimum, look at the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics for your hard drive. (2) Scan for malware with more than one high-quality scanner.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby NZRussell » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Try this link http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/pocomail.html and scroll down to 'Trouble Shooting'. I haven't tried any of this myself yet but it will provide some short cuts back to other thread here as well as providing some registry editing specific to W7. I hope this may help but I suggest you tread very carefully if you're not experienced in registry editing.

I would certainly like to see any feedback from you as to how you get on.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby ente » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 am

Hello MarkB, Hello NZRussell,
Many thanks! The first tip, rightclick and make Poco administratorable help as far, as from then on Pocomail did not want to write to the Registry anymore. What did not yet work, was, that by clicking on a email adress in a net application, Poco opens a ne mail. Looking at that page you mailed the link for, NZRussell, I found the line which has to be entered in the Registry. And looking at it, I realised, why it did not work anymore: I had mentioned that already about 3 years ago in the forum: Pocomail had installed itself under Program(86)\Pocomail4\poco.exe but the W7-fix writes in the registry Program(86)\Pocomail\poco.exe. After inserting the missing four (4), all problems where gone.
What I still don't know is, what had caused Windows loosing the knowledge about Pocomail and kicking out the correct line about Pocomail in the registry. May be that's just because a computer behaves sometimes almost humanlike...
Many thanks for the link to that page of Russharvey. Being Slaven, after reading all that prise for Pocomail, I would start walking like a peacock, show a at least tripple sized fan and start finishing version 5. Or at least the promised fix 4.9...
Have a nice weekand, many thanks,
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To