[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Searching Messages for Text -> What am I doing wrong?

Searching Messages for Text -> What am I doing wrong?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Searching Messages for Text -> What am I doing wrong?

Postby clambert11 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:20 am

Ok, I must be an idiot or something. I go to Search Messages (Ctrl-F) and type something in the For Text field that I am looking for. The whole message is being searched. I'll click the search button and it will find say it found "x" number of matches. Yet when the search mailbox opens up nothing is in it. According to the help, it looks as though links should appear in this search mailbox.

What the heck am I doing wrong? The version is 3.1 that I'm using.

It does not appear to work for me in the current mailbox or all mailboxes.

Thanks in advance 4 any help.

-- Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:15 pm

A couple of things to try:

1) After you install PocoMail and do the first search, some people have discovered that you have to enable "Empty Previous Search Results" before it works. After that, you shouldn't have to enable that option unless you want to.

2) If that doesn't help, I'd also run "Mailbox > Compress All Mailboxes", and then try step (1) again.
Pete

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:58 pm

Pete wrote:A couple of things to try:

1) After you install PocoMail and do the first search, some people have discovered that you have to enable "Empty Previous Search Results" before it works. After that, you shouldn't have to enable that option unless you want to.

2) If that doesn't help, I'd also run "Mailbox > Compress All Mailboxes", and then try step (1) again.

...and/or let the search run to completion rather than killing the process.
Alpha

Postby clambert11 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:06 pm

I got the replies and before I could try them inadvertently selected Mailbox | Empty Search Mailbox and BAM! it began functioning as I had expected.

Thanks for the help!
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Alpha wrote:...and/or let the search run to completion rather than killing the process.

I think that to kill the search-dialog process would ultimately involve killing the PocoMail GUI itself. Based on the description in his original post, I don't think that Craig was trying to kill any processes.

Rather, I think that this is a bug in PocoMail.
Pete

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:03 pm

Pete wrote:
Alpha wrote:...and/or let the search run to completion rather than killing the process.

I think that to kill the search-dialog process would ultimately involve killing the PocoMail GUI itself. Based on the description in his original post, I don't think that Craig was trying to kill any processes.

Rather, I think that this is a bug in PocoMail.

I could be wrong but it seems like many people have a problem with the search the first time they use it. It then subsequently starts working as expected. I don't know if this is a problem with the initial search mailbox or if it is that an initial compress is required before the search will function properly.
Michael

Postby robin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:53 am

I recall seeing something strange here too. When I first did a search it told me that I had however many found mails. When I closed the search dialog box, the 'Found' folder disappeared as well. Like many other people I have found it working as expected subsequently :?
robin

Postby DougWeller » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:03 am

Pete wrote:A couple of things to try:

Weird. I had the same problem. Did a search, it found some emails, but they didn't show up!
So, as you suggest, I emptied the previous search results, and it worked!

Doug
DougWeller
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:07 pm

I believe that this will be fixed when PSI officially releases v3.2. PocoMail will then default to enabling the "Empty Previous Search Results" checkbox.
Pete

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To