[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - New hope

New hope

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

New hope

Postby jbuk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 am

Well not really of course. I am still using PM but have been trying out other clients recently : Emclient, Pegasus and of course Thunderbird. But none of them really do as well all round as PM.
The biggest problem I see is that some emails are just blank these days and have to be either sanitized or viewed in browser.

Then I had a eureka moment, scripts ! I assigned the 'view in browser' script to button 1 so that to view a non displaying email all I do now is click the number 1 button instead of remembering where in the menu bar the option is.

I might be writing this to myself of course but if there is anybody out there then please let me know.

TIA
jbuk
Resident Poster

Re: New hope

Postby MarkB » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:30 am

Hi, jbuk.

Customizable toolbar buttons are a great feature of PocoMail.

PocoMail stopped working for me in September 2015. Attempts to receive mail from my most important POP accounts would fail with the "Access violation at address 00406B5D in module 'Poco.exe'. Read of address 5ACFA091." error. Nothing helped, including trying Poco on two additional PCs, with Windows 7 and Windows 10. So that was the end for me.

I stay in touch with forum member ente. He wouldn't mind my saying that he still uses PocoMail.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for your interest.
Sorry to read that you have left PM behind. What are you using now ?

It is wierd that POP started going wrong for you. That protocol has been around forever and has not had any changes for a very long time. Personally I POP mail from 4 different servers in two countries with no glitches whatsoever.
Additionally I get all mail forwarded from another 6 or 7 sources to gmail for spam removal then gmail forwards a copy to my domain and email host in the UK from where I POP to pocomail. It just works fortunately.
I remember a few years back now in the Forum that someone had similar problems for which there was no resolution as it became obvious that things had become messed up at his internet provider's end. Could this have been your issue too ?
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby MarkB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:52 am

> What are you using now?
Thunderbird. My requirements are modest at this stage.

> ...things had become messed up at his internet provider's end.
> Could this have been your issue too?
Three thoughts: (1) Ideally, I guess, nothing a service provider does should cause Poco to attempt to access RAM that it is not entitled to access. (2) Thunderbird has no problem with any of my accounts. (3) September 2015, when Poco started failing for me, was around the time email services were tightening up their SSL/TLS requirements in response to vulnerabilities in early versions of SSL, though if that had been a factor then surely hundreds of other PocoMail users would have had the same problem.

My email accounts are with 3 services:
* 1 with Yahoo, POP -- works normally.
* 1 with Fastmail, IMAP -- times out when Poco attempts a connection.
* 4 with a host, POP -- Poco can send but fails to log in for POP access, reporting that memory access violation.

Best wishes for the new year.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby MAL » Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm

How dare you post with a title of: "New hope". I just had FALSE hope when reading that! :D :D :D

I still use Pocomail after all these years. Never found anything better, which is really surprising. None came even close to the convenience and efficiency of Pocomail.

I did convert all mailboxes and messages and downloaded eMClient, just in case Pocomail gives up the ghost, but so far so good. Still holds all my emails since 2003 (IIRC) maybe 80000 messages, and about 6GB in size when backing it up.

Quite amazing that it can still work after so many years without being supported or updated...
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

Postby ente » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 am

Hello jbuk, MarkB
Me too, I was irritated when I saw this header! Started to think that Slaven realized that there is still nothing alike Pocomail. Hoped he realized aswell that he had promised me to fix the nine most itching bugs left in Pocomail's last update....
As MarkB mentioned: ente is still working with Pocomail - every day! What he did not mention is, that this is so because MarkB wrote many number of scripts which make Pocomail to a most useful tool!
Ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby MAL » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm

" MarkB wrote many number of scripts which make Pocomail to a most useful tool!"

Are the scripts still available somewhere? They don't seem to be on this server any longer. Anyone have them uploaded?
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

Postby ente » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 pm

If you give me your mail, I let MarkB know that you are interes in his scripts
cordially
ente
goetz.perll(at)aikq.eu
ente
Resident Poster

Postby jbuk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 am

Sorry to you both for raising your hopes. Clearly I was being facetious but I thought it might be a good way of attracting some attention on the forum - and it worked !
I too use a few scripts and remember there was a web location for them. I presume that has disappeared now. I also remember a certain Michael Motek (?) who was a resident script writer in the early days of Poco, this was probably before Mark Came along.

Anyway here we are the three of us, plus my wife, Pocoing our way into email history. I got it working in Win10 last year, but what a mess that OS is IMO.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To