[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - unencoded attachments slows one account

unencoded attachments slows one account

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

unencoded attachments slows one account

Postby canalrun » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:13 pm

Hello,
I am using Pocomail 3.1 (latest). Mid last week I unchecked the encoding option "leave attachments encoded inside message". One of my 6 accounts slowed to a crawl (could only download 20 msgs per hour). All 5 other accounts were not affected.

I rechecked this option and the slow account returned to normal speed. Unchecked option and it slows to a crawl. Check and it's fast again.

All 6 accounts are basically configured the same to different Linux servers. One account actually goes to a different domain on the same server as the account that slows.

The account that slows has nothing special in its configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry.
canalrun
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:39 pm

It sounds like your messages have big attachments. As I understand it, Poco reads mail folders into memory to process messages -- entire folders, not just messages. When you leave the attachments encoded in the message, the mailbox file (MBX file) can become enormous (assuming that you have lots of attachments and lots of messages) but there's no time lost in decoding the attachment and saving it to disk.

When you uncheck the option, Poco has to split out the attachment at the time it is downloaded. This takes some processing power -- but not enough, I would think, to account for your observed symptoms.

For that, I'd think that your virus checker may be taking the time, since it probably is kicking in to evaluate the file Poco is writing to the attachment directory. I've noticed that both Norton and McAfee sometimes take a really long time (minutes) to analyze a file.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To