[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Favorites folder

Favorites folder

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Favorites folder

Postby tiedyeguy64 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:13 pm

I have been using Pocomail for quite a while now (several years) and still have not figured out one thing...How do I modify the items shown in the 'Favorites" listing?

When I go to add an attachment, the "Attach File" dialog comes up, and has a 'favorites' listing to the left. I want to add a specific folder to it.

I have no problem in other programs, but cannot modify the list in any way in Poco.

Thank you for any help you can give.
tiedyeguy64
Drop-in Visitor

Postby gert » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:34 pm

I use DirKey (http://www.protonfx.com/dirkey/) to handle these kind of things. It is a wonderfull (free) program that allows you to assign a key (CTRL+1) to a folder (C:\TEMP). When you press that key in a "File Open" dialog (like he attach file dialog) it will automatically change to the assigned folder.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:37 pm

I've only found one way to do this, and it's kind of cumbersome. BTW, the following works for the History folder -- I don't have Favorites on the desktop, but it should work the same.

Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the file in question, then right-click and select "Create Shortcut". A new shortcut appears in the folder.

Right-click on the shortcut, select Copy, and then go back to the open Attachment selection window, select Favorites. Put the cursor in the file selection window, right-click, and select Paste.

I got strange results using other copy/paste approaches such as Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, copy-drag functions, etc. Perhaps I was just making operator errors, but the right-click approach worked.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Favorites folder

Postby Hogyt » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:12 pm

tiedyeguy64 wrote:I have been using Pocomail for quite a while now (several years) and still have not figured out one thing...How do I modify the items shown in the 'Favorites" listing?

If you mean the Places Bar then download TweakUI and go to Common Dialogs->Places Bar where you can configure it system wide to your hearts content :-)
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tiedyeguy64 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am

My bad! Yes, I mean the places bar, not favorites... :oops:

I was hoping to be able to modify it individually for Pocomail - the other app's I use all allow me to do that easily (usually a right click pop up menu), and I have them all customized by the app.

Is there a way to modify it specifically for Pocomail? (You listening, Slaven & company?)

What I need is a way to make a few specific folders easily available for my wife. Anything complicated (like using other apps to get a job done) confuses her - she's not a geek at all.

If not, I'll have to use tweakUI, I guess.

Thanks!
tiedyeguy64
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:28 am

Now I'm confused... By "Places Bar" do you mean the graphical strip on the left side of the "Attach File" popup window? The bar that has icons for "My Computer" and "Desktop" etc.? If so, I'd be interested in which applications can modify it. I tried MS Office and Corel Draw -- neither one of them could change it.

If you don't mean the graphical strip, then what is the "places bar?"
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:34 am

Thats what i mean by the Places Bar. I thought it was the same for all apps but it can be set per user.
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tiedyeguy64 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:51 am

Yes, I mean the graphical strip on the left side of the "Attach File" popup window - the bar that has icons for "My Computer" and "Desktop" etc. I have modified it in AutoCAD (my meat & potatoes app), as well as in MS Office suite, and a few other small apps that I use for very specific things. I thought I had also modified it in OpenOffice (my preferred office suite), but I guess I didn't...I'm not sure I can in that one now...Guess I better research taht one too!

(In MS Office, go to the open file dialog...across the top there is a toolbar, one of the options is 'Tools'...pull down the arrow & click on 'add to 'My Places' to add the current directory to the list. You can delete it by right clicking on the icon in the list and hitting delete on the popup menu...At least in the Office 2002 SP2 suite you can!)

It seems every app that I use in which it can be modified has its own way of doing it...but not all apps can modify it (at least I haven't found ways in all of them yet!)

"Thats what i mean by the Places Bar. I thought it was the same for all apps but it can be set per user."

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - "set per user"...do you mean "set per application"?
tiedyeguy64
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:47 am

No i wasn't aware it could be set per application. I mean if you have several users who log into Windows, each with their own account, it can be set differently for each of them.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:06 am

I found the following at http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issue ... fault.aspx

[quote]In this way you can certainly customize the places that appear in the Open File common dialog, but don't forget that the changes are extended to all running applications. The registry settings work on a per-user basis and Microsoft doesn't provide an API to programmatically configure the places bar on a per-application or per-call basis. Is there a way to trick the system and customize the places bar each time you display the file dialog? The answer is yes, but the implementation is not trivial and it entails the use of a little-known Win32 API functionâ€â€
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To