[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco not checking all the mail

Poco not checking all the mail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco not checking all the mail

Postby ScottMo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:58 pm

I've noticed that Poco doesn't report all the mail that's waiting on my server. It pulls most of the mail off in the first pass, and then, if I keep checking, it will eventually get all of it.

Here's an example from today:

340 messages waiting on server;
No messages deleted, 340 messages left on server;
Logging off...

Checking mail for My Account (8/10/2004 6:34:55 AM)...

Logging into mail.xxx.xxx POP server as user scott...
341 messages waiting on server;
203 messages deleted, 138 messages left on server;
Logging off...

Checking mail for My Account (8/10/2004 6:38:30 AM)...

138 messages waiting on server;
8 messages deleted, 130 messages left on server;
Logging off...

Checking mail for My Account (8/10/2004 6:38:43 AM)...

130 messages waiting on server;
4 messages deleted, 126 messages left on server;
Logging off...

Checking mail for My Account (8/10/2004 6:38:55 AM)...

126 messages waiting on server;
4 messages deleted, 122 messages left on server;
Logging off...

Checking mail for My Account (8/10/2004 6:39:13 AM)...

122 messages waiting on server;
4 messages deleted, 118 messages left on server;
Logging off...

In the interest of brevity, I've left the last 13 checks which picked up an additional 1-4 emails. But it eventually got down to 98 emails on the server. I'm not getting new emails beacuse the ending "left on server" number is the same as the beginning "waiting on server" number.

Any ideas on how I can get all my mail in one pass?
ScottMo
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:15 am

Unless I'm misinterpreting things, it looks like you are getting all your messages in one check. The status messages might indicate a possible glitch with Poco's deleting messages off the server, but except for the second message, no new message seems to have arrived during your tests.

Now, one possibility (with this many messages left on server) is that the time stamps of the messages actually are so close together that many messages should be deleted after the passage of just a few seconds.

Am I seeing this wrong?
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:52 am

Any ideas on how I can get all my mail in one pass?

I'd say you have a "bad" msg on the server. This happens occasionally. It is usually a spam or some other non-conforming msg munged by a hacker. The hand-shaking btwn your ISP and Poco gets screwed up, and the downloading of msgs stops at that msg (I suspect because the ISP does not send a proper acknowledgment).

Download msgs, then immediately use Poco's VMOS facility to see the headers of the remaining msgs. Normally, the first one left is the problem msg (it often "looks" unusual too such as no subject). Delete that msg, or groups of msgs you know are no good; once you kill the bad msg, the rest will download fine.
Sandy

Postby ScottMo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:27 am

I don't think I left enough info in the first post.

The log shopws that I checked mail at 6:34am and had 341 messages on the server. I deleted 203. Which left 138. I rechecked the server and had 138 total messages with 8 "new" messages. Which weren't really new as they were counted in the ending 138. I deleted those 8 "new" messages which left me with 130.

Checking the mail seconds later, I had 130 messages total on the server (same as the ending amount of the last check) but with 4 "new messages". I deleted those 4, leaving 126.

And so on. Each additional check of the mail on the server would indicate there were 2-4 "new" messages even though the total messages never changed from the last check. If I actually had 4 new messages, the total messages should have increased by 4, not stayed the same.

Sandy - I will look at the mesages when I get home (I'm at work now). All the messages left have been spam. I have several filters in place. One collects all messages on the banned domains & banned subject lists and sends them to the trash. Messages caught by the Bayesian filter are sent to the spam mailbox so I can double check real quick. All the messages that are being missed have ended up in the trash when they eventually got picked up.
ScottMo
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:08 pm

Do you have Leave Messages On Server (LMOS) enabled?
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby ScottMo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:29 pm

Yes, leave messages is enabled.

I checked today. After the first pass, I deleted 48 spams (light day ;) ) and rechecked. Its reporting 133 on server, and there should be roughly 100.

I used VMOS, and the unchecked mail thats still on the server is largely from the same sender (marina.net). There's 35 undownloaded messages, 34 of them from the domain marina.net (usually some variation of "sender@5-marina.net" with the 5 changing to another number). The other message is actual real email.

Other than being annoying spam, the messages seem normal otherwise. Its largely html with a text disclaimer and unsubscribe link at the bottom.

Subsequent checks netted me 4 marina's on each pass.
ScottMo
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:37 am

Given what you've just said, I think Sandy was probably right with the suggestion that there's a "bad" message on the server.

I've noticed quite often that a particular message can gum up the works. Deleting the obvious spam/virus messages from the server has always cleared it up.

Also, if you increase the network timeout settings, you may see a better result. (Options | General Options | Network Settings | Timeout Online Operations after Seconds) I have it set to 240 seconds now, with much better results.

And the AntiVirus program may be taking its time to handle a virus, which also makes the message likely to time out.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Unknown Sender causing my problems...

Postby clambert11 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:43 am

For what it's worth, I have a similar issue with one of my accounts. It happens to be the one that's spam ridden.

For some reason, which I have yet to figure out, I intermittently receive emails from "Unknown Sender". There is no subject or body.

PocoMail chokes on the emails and will not download and delete all the mail until that Unknown Sender email is deleted. I delete it through web mail.

Eudora used to choke on it to, but would still download and delete the mail after a few tries. Honestly, it's what inspired me to start looking @ other clients. That said, Poco didn't help solve the problem. If anything, it's a little worse because it ignores it all together.

I'm still trying to figure out where the heck this email is coming from.

Only time will tell I guess.

-- Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Re: Unknown Sender causing my problems...

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:49 am

clambert11 wrote:PocoMail chokes on the emails and will not download and delete all the mail until that Unknown Sender email is deleted. I delete it through web mail.
-- Craig

This may be of only marginal help to you, but when you have such problems, you can simply use the 'View Mail on Server' function to view and delete the problem mail from within PocoMail.
Jim

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:30 am

If by chance any of you are using Norton Antivirus then try disabling scanning of incoming mail. If you're getting your mail through some sort of proxy such as the saproxy spam killer then make sure the AUTH and TOP commands are proxied (if it lets you). Don't know what else to suggest...
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby clambert11 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:04 am

Hogyt wrote:If by chance any of you are using Norton Antivirus then try disabling scanning of incoming mail. If you're getting your mail through some sort of proxy such as the saproxy spam killer then make sure the AUTH and TOP commands are proxied (if it lets you). Don't know what else to suggest...

You da man! This actually fixed my problem. Regretablly, I didn't even think about NAV. It's weird how it kinda downloded with Eudora, but not with Poco @ all. The problem must be with how it interfaces with the clients.

The email that was giving me problems had an X-Comments Header of: Sending client does not conform to RFC822 minimum requirements. It had no To, From, Subject, or Body.

-- Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:07 am

Sorry i should have mentioned that earlier then! I had this problem with NAV last year and spent ages tracking down the problem. In the end it looked like NAV was sometimes sending corrupted email to Pocomail, when certain headers were missing. I reported it to Norton and their response was to reinstall NAV and if that didn't fix it to turn off email checking. I even offered them access to my email account to check it for themselves but they weren't interested. Typical of them really ;-) Thankfully, Slaven and Pete were very helpful in testing it and ruling out Pocomail as the problem :-) I remember testing it with some other clients too, possibly Eudora, and it turned out Pocomail was actually doing a helpful thing in showing there was a problem whereas the other clients i tried gave no sign of a problem (or were at least inconsistent) and often left the 'corrupt' email on the server with me none the wiser.
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tribble » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:11 am

In the distant past, I had a problem with NAV downloading messages, but the "Unknown Sender" message is a continuing problem. Fortunately, my ISP has a spam filter and I have marked that type of message as spam often enough that it now filters it out before I ever see it.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:06 pm

This is precisely the type of scenario that prompts me to so often "rant" against speculation. What I like about this thread is the participants avoided that temptation. In other threads stmts are too often made such as "this doesn't happen in Eudora so that proves it is a Poco problem". Here it turns out the problem turned up in Poco precisely because it was doing the right thing.

Why some folks see "bugs" lurking under every bed and believe their unverified theories are useful continually mystifies me.

Nice work Hogyt!
Sandy

Postby ScottMo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:19 pm

I am running NAV. I haven't had the mysterious undownloaded mail issue in a few days, perhaps since I've left Pocomail open rather than having it check a 12 hours worth of mail all at one time. It'd be interesting to see what the headers look like when it happens again. From what I could tell of the marina.net spams, the headers looked complete (and they certainly had subject lines, bodies, and return addys.)

I do appreciate the helpful suggestions.
ScottMo
New Arrival

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To