[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Startup display not consistent

Startup display not consistent

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Startup display not consistent

Postby frazmi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:15 am

If you start Poco, and the previously selected mailbox had some messages, then when Poco restarts that mailbox is again selected. OK so far.

If you select a mailbox that's empty, the message index pane is blank, and the message preview pane is blank. OK so far.

Now quit Poco, and restart. The Mailbox pane will show the empty folder as the current folder, and the message index pane will be empty, but there will be a message showing in the preview pane. Can anybody validate?

Please see the following:

Regular display...

Display of empty mailbox...

Startup showing a message that does not belong to selected mailbox...
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:20 am

No, I can't recreate that. Tried all sorts of scenarios of empty mailboxes and sub-mailboxes.
robin

Postby Hogyt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:47 am

I can't duplicate it either (Win XP and Pocomail 1880). Do you have any events that could be interfering with it and have you tried compressing the mailboxes?
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:42 pm

Hogyt, good guess on the events... That's the probable proximate cause -- but I'm still confused about what's happening.

I have 2 installations. Both have the "OpenInBox" script running on the OnStart Event. Installation 1 is my main, live Poco installation on which I first saw this behavior. Installation 2 is a copy of #1, with all mailboxes and filters deleted. (I forgot to delete the events, however.)

On the Tiny installation, the OpenInBox script works, sort of. In Tiny, there are no messages in the In box, and 2 messages elsewhere. When Tiny starts, the In mailbox is selected, as expected. And the message index pane is empty. However, the message preview pane has the previously displayed message showing, as I mentioned before.

Now, I copy one message to the In box, and try again (stop, restart). Voilà, everything is in synch.

Now, just for fun, I edit the subject of the message in the In box, click on the Drafts folder, and shut Tiny down.

On restart, the Drafts mailbox is selected (not the In box), the Message Index Pane is blank, and the Message Preview Pane is showing the body of the message with the edited subject.

Thus, the behavior seems to be triggered by having (1) the OpenInBox script running on the OnStart event, and (2) editing a message subject (something I do all the time, by the way).
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:00 pm

I run a script to open the inbox as an OnQuit event so you might try that instead of as an OnStart event and see if it helps. It seems a little neater running it as OnQuit since everything is ready the next time Pocomail opens up.
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:14 pm

Hogyt, that was a good idea. I set the script to fire on the OnQuit event, and now everything works as expected.

Still no explanation for what was going on before, but since nobody else can duplicate the problem, I'm going to send it to the "Poco X-Files" folder.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:20 am

On my test installation i made the inbox script fire as an OnStart event. I have 1 message in my inbox and when i started Pocomail the message shows up in the preview pane but the index pane is completely empty. I'm not sure if thats quite the same as what you're experiencing but there definitely is something odd going on there!
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:26 am

I think what is happening is that the OnStart event isn't firing when it 'should'. When you start Pocomail i'd expect it to do all it's initialisation, display the mailbox we were last viewing and THEN run the OnStart event and switch mailbox. But i think instead the OnStart event is running before the last mailbox is displayed so Pocomail is starting up, running the OnStart event which switches to our chosen mailbox and displays the message in the preview pane from that mailnox but then it goes to the mailbox we were in when we lass quit Pocomail and displays that mailbox in the index pane. Added to that, if you have "Show Quick Guide on startup" checked that probably confuses it even more.

Would that make any sense as to what you're seeing Frazmi or do you think it's something else?
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:28 am

That makes sense to me. BTW I do not have QUick Guide enabled.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To